Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Borla Review

Fitted a Borla to my car 3 weeks ago and thought i would provide an honest review for others considering it or any aftermarket exhaust.

Pro's

From 2k revs up there is a lovely creamy V8 warble that I would never tire of listening too. I find myself driving with the stereo off and manual mode on even on a trip to the shops. I enjoy the car in a way I hadnt previously and one that doesnt risk losing my licence.

Spent a days hard driving with friends and it added an extra level of pleasure, maybe even stopped me pushing overly hard at times chasing that addictive induction roar. Everyone was complementary on its sound externally at full chat.

Motorway driving is just as civilised as ever, crusing nicely at 70+ with no drone.

Con's

I read a number of comments stating it was like stock until you gave it some, it is not. On cold start up it is loud. My 4 year old daughters bedroom is above the drive and I've woke her up! I've already begun starting the car and putting it into drive in one motion to reduce the idle noise.  It is also quite droney at part throttle when below 2k rpm, like when you have to go up a gradient. Frustratingly this is exactly where the auto box holds the gears. To be fair its quite a pleasant drone but still removes some of the refinement the car is so good at and I would be surprised if passengers didnt comment on it. This may become tiring if you do a lot of miles.

Depending on your opinion this is a pro or a con, but I get a lot more positive attention in the car. Driving past queues of people any petrol heads ears will prick up because of the exotic sound only an engine and exhaust system combo like this can produce. No one thinks a 4 cylinder with a big bore is passing!

I ideally want the stock exhaust before 2k and this one above. I plan on living with it for the next 3 months and then making a decision on putting an additional silencer in to try and get that OEM+ sound.

• Like 3

I’ve got a borla exhaust on my boxster gts and the 20 second start up is antisocial.  After that it’s amazing.

I’m trying to persuade my wife to let me put a H&S on the ISF but it’s a hard sell.

In particular i think the insurance will jump.

Funny you say that it's a bit droney below 2k rpm. I drove my parents and grandmother around last week with my stock exhaust and they thought it was quite loud as it is. Funny how you don't realise these things until you have people who expect refinement in the car with you. I also suddenly became very aware of the hum that it makes down low.

I don't think I would care if it was just me driving it around on my own like I do 95% of the time.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Appreciate the feedback, its been on my mind for some time.

I do find that the standard exhaust with the cats removed sounds reasonable though so I keep going over and over in my head on getting a cat back or not. 

The comments above are interesting too as my neighbours tell me it sounds great on cold start-up whereas I might just be used to it now.

Its a tough one, spend some cash and try it, but maybe its a waste and I should get a new rad and pump, hahah 

On 8/25/2020 at 10:54 PM, Arth_Vader said:

I’ve got a borla exhaust on my boxster gts and the 20 second start up is antisocial.  After that it’s amazing.

I’m trying to persuade my wife to let me put a H&S on the ISF but it’s a hard sell.

In particular i think the insurance will jump.

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

On 8/26/2020 at 6:29 AM, C.B said:

Fitted a Borla to my car 3 weeks ago and thought i would provide an honest review for others considering it or any aftermarket exhaust.

Pro's

From 2k revs up there is a lovely creamy V8 warble that I would never tire of listening too. I find myself driving with the stereo off and manual mode on even on a trip to the shops. I enjoy the car in a way I hadnt previously and one that doesnt risk losing my licence.

Spent a days hard driving with friends and it added an extra level of pleasure, maybe even stopped me pushing overly hard at times chasing that addictive induction roar. Everyone was complementary on its sound externally at full chat.

Motorway driving is just as civilised as ever, crusing nicely at 70+ with no drone.

Con's

I read a number of comments stating it was like stock until you gave it some, it is not. On cold start up it is loud. My 4 year old daughters bedroom is above the drive and I've woke her up! I've already begun starting the car and putting it into drive in one motion to reduce the idle noise.  It is also quite droney at part throttle when below 2k rpm, like when you have to go up a gradient. Frustratingly this is exactly where the auto box holds the gears. To be fair its quite a pleasant drone but still removes some of the refinement the car is so good at and I would be surprised if passengers didnt comment on it. This may become tiring if you do a lot of miles.

Depending on your opinion this is a pro or a con, but I get a lot more positive attention in the car. Driving past queues of people any petrol heads ears will prick up because of the exotic sound only an engine and exhaust system combo like this can produce. No one thinks a 4 cylinder with a big bore is passing!

I ideally want the stock exhaust before 2k and this one above. I plan on living with it for the next 3 months and then making a decision on putting an additional silencer in to try and get that OEM+ sound.

Have you considered Varex mufflers? My xforce varex exhaust is dead silent with vavles closed.

Theres also about 9 different settings all with a touch of a button.

Have you considered Varex mufflers? My xforce varex exhaust is dead silent with vavles closed.
Theres also about 9 different settings all with a touch of a button.
Where can a Varex exhaust be purchased?

48 minutes ago, Irish ISF said:

Where can a Varex exhaust be purchased?

I'm in Australia so lm not sure if l can help where to purchase.

Try googling Varex Xforce Lexus ISF

Love the sound of the BORLA but its lack of a valve system is what puts me off, a child with ASD and sensory issues aswell as some lovely but elderly neighbours and a wife who works nights dictate I need a "stealh mode" when I manage to get my V8 F of Lexus variety .

I am quite fond of the GTHAUS system, with closed valves it's rather subtle, then open them up for a pure roar of sound. 

• 1 month later...

As a quick update to this, had my car serviced at Lexus last week and they reported the exhaust was blowing from one of the clamps.

They sorted it for me FOC and it has taken some drone from the sound. Maybe reduced it 10%, I would still never describe the borla as 'like stock until you give it some' but its not as bad as my intial review. I'll report back after living with it like this for a month, although I drive the car maybe twice a week currently. Also interested in how the weather affects the cold start noise. I may recieve an ASBO from my neighbours 🙂

There’s drone with the stock exhaust. After market replacements just amplify it.

The inability to get a decent noise out of an F car without compromise was one of the major reasons for me saying goodbye to F cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links