Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help much appreciated - caliper slides and boots

Hi guys,

My IS250 is getting a service from an independent mechanic today. I asked him to grease the caliper slides as is often advised here and he has found a couple of issues. Front brakes need 4 new claiper slides plus the boots for them. Rear brakes need 4 boots for the calipers. I have had a look on the Lexus parts website but there seems to be a lot of options that I am not sure how to make sense of it. 

From the description I have given you, any idea what I need to order? Also is Lexus parts just the best place to order from - parts don't seem too expensive. 

You can get your parts from Lexus parts direct here on this forum, any motor part factors (euro carparts etc) or even reputable sellers on eBay. There are many good sellers on eBay. Always check the sellers feedback ... It's worth doing.

If it were me I'd probably get all 8 slide pins and the boot kits for them and do the lot. You will usually get new caliper fastening bolts too. Your existing kit may be 12 years old if not done before. Make sure your mechanic uses Toyota Red Rubber grease for the slide pins. Crucially this grease won't attack the rubber boots and make them all stretchy and distended. I've been using it for quite some years now and I've been impressed how well it holds up over time as lube for the pins. A drop of thread lock on the caliper fixing bolts is a must too!

I do my slide pins myself every year. Normally check them in spring.

• Like 2

As Normski states, make sure your mechanic uses the Red Rubber Grease. The wrong type will attack the rubber. Also, get into the habit of checking the pins every year or even 6 months, it does not take long and will save quite a bit of £'s if you spot the pins dry or the rubber boots worn or split. A good time to check them is during the summer before the winter months wen there is a lot of salt on the road

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Good shout that’s where I got my kits from. Could not remember the name, but that’s the kiddie. 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links