Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

my lexus is200 steering wheel rattling/vibration problem.

I've had my is200 for about 2 month now.. before me my brother had it and didn't have vibration/rattling problem. And before that it was stood for 3 years. Ok so out of no where my steering wheel started to rattles/vibrates at random speeds, 30mph upward, it comes and goes and isn't constant. Also sometimes it rattles when i break. I've had my wheels balanced, tracking done, both front bottom ball joints replaced and still no joy. What else could the problem be? Should i replace drop links and the arms? Im getting so ****** off with it. I have a full turbo kit and coil overs ready to install on it but i don't see the point in doing anything like that until i sort this rattling out. 

-Side note. my 120k engine was replaced with a 82k engine, and was rattling before my 82k replacement.

also with it being stood for 3 years could the front tyres be squared off? 

11 minutes ago, tescobag4life said:

Iam not sure if it was moved, i've got 2 tyres ready for tomorrow morning, ill post update on outcome, fingers crossed.

Yes, keep us posted please.  Also check the brake calipers for free movement, anything that binds or has even slightly seized will cause what you've described. I've been going through something similar, I've replaced my drop links, lower ball joints, lower control arms, anti roll bar bushes and new tyres but I still get a vibration between 65ish and 75, after that it clears (but don't tell the police!)

fitted 2 new tyres on the front today, so far so good, i drove on the link-way for a test , went up to 60mph no rattling , although there's the slightest vibration maybe i'am in a paranoia faze, ill test it for a week and post an update, fingers crossed.

-another side note, i forgot to mention i fitted a aftermarket steering wheel, no airbag. It seems i can feel a lot more through that steering wheel than the original Lexus one.

51 minutes ago, tescobag4life said:

fitted 2 new tyres on the front today, so far so good, i drove on the link-way for a test , went up to 60mph no rattling , although there's the slightest vibration maybe i'am in a paranoia faze, ill test it for a week and post an update, fingers crossed.

-another side note, i forgot to mention i fitted a aftermarket steering wheel, no airbag. It seems i can feel a lot more through that steering wheel than the original Lexus one.

It seems that with most things we replace that aren't factory there will generally be some minor issue. Do you not get an airbag warning?

1 hour ago, tescobag4life said:

Yes my airbag warning is showing, also the rattle has came back but not as frequent, whats next lol? should i replace drop links and control arms?

Well I replaced the drop links and control arms on mine and it didn't solve the problem. Wheel bearings have been suggested on mine.

1 hour ago, tescobag4life said:

i do intend on replacing drop links and control arms anyway but ill have a look at my wheel bearings first cheers

I've also decided to replace my upper control arms, ordered yesterday, that means I'll have more or less replaced everything at the front.

• Like 2