Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

Happy Friday to you!  I am considering getting front/rear dashcams for the GS

Would like to hear ppl's experience / suggestions with this (installation, brand/model)

Ideally I'd like a system that can self-activate (motion, bumper bash) with SD card storage that isn't a complete eyesore

The use case is primarily for accidents/vandalism but I have no clue if this is admissable for insurance or criminal purposes

Cheers
John

Worms, can, opened!

This guy has reviewed more than 50 or 60 dashcams and this is the one he settled on for using in his own car, which speaks volumes to me.

This video is now two years old so no doubt the cameras have been superceded by newer models but at least it should give you confidence in the company and whatever models they are selling now.

• Like 1

I use nextbase. My front one being 4k with 128gb memory card. 
Halfords have a selection and they will do fitting for around £35. If you a gold member of this forum you get up to 15% discount as well.

I wouldn't trust Halfords to fill the windscreen washer bottle, let alone letting them loose on the electrics.

If you really can't or don't want to DIY, at least go to a proper auto electrician who will charge about £30 to £40, but don't go to Halfords (cowboys) or Lexus (well overpriced).

21 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I wouldn't trust Halfords to fill the windscreen washer bottle, let alone letting them loose on the electrics.

If you really can't or don't want to DIY, at least go to a proper auto electrician who will charge about £30 to £40, but don't go to Halfords (cowboys) or Lexus (well overpriced).

lol

I went for the thinkware... it's a bit pricey, but very discrete, superb quality..... not a fan of nextbase... seems to be fashionable in the UK, good prices, but limited specs

100% Agree with Herbie, don;t go anywhere near Halfords to fit anything ...... it is straightforward for DIY, but if you are nervous, then an auto electrician will do a great job in 30mins.. shouldn't cost too much

On 8/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, Herbie said:

This! Don't do it. They can barely cope with bulbs.

21 hours ago, Werewolf1976 said:

What is the best way to power these systems?

Anybody installed the Viofo into the electricals (parasistic draw)? good idea/bad idea?

They'll be wired in such that they only draw power when the ignition switch it on. Having them on permanently would be a bad idea for obvious reasons.

26 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

They'll be wired in such that they only draw power when the ignition switch it on. Having them on permanently would be a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Some cameras, and I think the Aukey and Viofo ones are amongst them, have a 'parking mode' where some electronic wizardry in the camera monitors Battery voltage and shuts the camera down if it starts to get to a certain threshold, thereby always ensuring that there's enough power in the Battery to start the car.

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

Some cameras, and I think the Aukey and Viofo ones are amongst them, have a 'parking mode' where some electronic wizardry in the camera monitors battery voltage and shuts the camera down if it starts to get to a certain threshold, thereby always ensuring that there's enough power in the battery to start the car.

That’s clever. I tried to do the same thing with my arduino tracker and a latching relay but after twice getting back to the car at the airport after holidays to find it dead as a doornail I gave up and connected it to the ignition rail.

• Like 1