Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How sensitive is the 3UZ to overfilled oil?

Antharro

Just did a routine fluid check of my LS430 and noticed the oil seemed to be a little high. Given all the various problems I've been having with this engine smoking, I'm wondering if this is a contributing factor. Is the 3UZ particularly sensitive to being overfilled?

The picture shows both sides of the dipstick from the same reading so you can see what both sides were showing!

IMG_20200825_164133.jpg

Take the clean side reading only. One side of the stick always gives a clean reading. Slightly over by the looks of it but that is not massively over. Don't think that is a problem. 

• Like 1

David, are you checking the oil level when the engine is at normal temperature or when it is cold? It could make a difference if the reference level applies to a warm engine engine & you're checking it cold. My GS300h is checked when warm, I don't know about your LS430 however. 

A bit high but OK I think. I am amazed how You Tube mechanics put in the specified amount. I like to put in 4.5 litres and slowly add until it is 3-4mm below max. Always go lower and you can always add in the morning. You cannot easily take away.