Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS Pulling to left.

Delp

Hi there still having issues with my car pulling. Tires have been swapped over still pulls to left. Tyre pressure always good. Know I've got these latest alignment report. Any advice on the adjustments made by the alignment place or if it could be something else. Thinking may be it's the tire pattern not sure..

IMG_20200829_192532_compress91.jpg

Also are you sure it's actually pulling rather than it just being the camber of the road? Most cars will pull slightly to the left on most UK roads because the camber of the road is angled down to the left.

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

Were the tyres swapped left to right or front to back?

Swapped front left to right. 

It's definitely pulling as I have to correct steering wheel to centre. Steering wheel is sitting few degrees off centre to the left. I've read it might be caster arm and ball joints bad. 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Delp said:

Swapped front left to right. 

It's definitely pulling as I have to correct steering wheel to centre. Steering wheel is sitting few degrees off centre to the left. I've read it might be caster arm and ball joints bad. 🤷‍♂️

I think that's what normally happens when the camber of the road makes the vehicle turn slightly left no? Have you tested it on a completely flat road? 

I have on a newly built motorway road near me not as much but the steering wheel has to still be returned to centre. I'm going to swap the rear tyres over and see if that makes any difference and check the left front caliper. Could it be the rear brake calipers. 

1 minute ago, Delp said:

I have on a newly built motorway road near me not as much but the steering wheel has to still be returned to centre. I'm going to swap the rear tyres over and see if that makes any difference and check the left front caliper. Could it be the rear brake calipers. 

I'm far from an expert but I would guess unlikely. A common sign of a sticking caliper is more brake dust on the side that's sticking.

33 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

I'm far from an expert but I would guess unlikely. A common sign of a sticking caliper is more brake dust on the side that's sticking.

I thought that. Does the rears have calipers as well, newbie to all this. Is it worth swapping the rears to fronts also? I'd go to wheels in motion in Buckinghamshire but want to kind of eliminate causes first. NSF camber is deep than OSF could that be possible and get them to get same as OSF. 

30 minutes ago, Delp said:

I thought that. Does the rears have calipers as well, newbie to all this. Is it worth swapping the rears to fronts also? I'd go to wheels in motion in Buckinghamshire but want to kind of eliminate causes first. NSF camber is deep than OSF could that be possible and get them to get same as OSF. 

No idea sorry. I would probably just take the car to a garage and say "pulls left, please fix".

That's what I initially told them three times I went to same place still no luck. Then took to another who got it with spec but still same.. Anyway time for eliminating possible causes. Will keep updates. 

Have you done a zero point calibration on the steering? If not this can cause pulling to one side. 
The electric power steering needs to know where the strait ahead position is. If it thinks it is other than this it will power the steering to the position it thinks is strait. If any work is carried out on the steering like resetting the tracking this must be done.

John.

• Like 1

Does the alignment centre do that? As when I had the alignment done I specifically asked them to do that they did try and plug it in obd reader but said it couldn't recognise the car, them abs and vsc lights came on which had to be taken off with jumping the diagnostic port.. So it couldn't be or not done properly. Does the GS have to be zero point calibrated. 

6 hours ago, Britprius said:

Have you done a zero point calibration on the steering? If not this can cause pulling to one side. 
The electric power steering needs to know where the strait ahead position is. If it thinks it is other than this it will power the steering to the position it thinks is strait. If any work is carried out on the steering like resetting the tracking this must be done.

John.

Can this be done via jumping in diagnostics by any chance if so how do you do it. 

4 hours ago, Delp said:
4 hours ago, Delp said:

Can this be done via jumping in diagnostics

Not that I am aware of. It is done by using Toyota Techstream or other such program.

John.