Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tyres Fitted

Hi, changed the tyres on my NX to four Michelin Cross Climates and what a difference they make. Road noise greatly reduced and rides a lot smoother over rough roads.
Has completely changed the the way the car rides and drives, well impressive...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mines-a-pint said:

Hi, changed the tyres on my NX to four Michelin Cross Climates and what a difference they make. Road noise greatly reduced and rides a lot smoother over rough roads.

What tyres were on before and how old/worn were they? 

32 minutes ago, Mines-a-pint said:

They are the best tyre i have used  for UK climate.Fitted them to CRV 3 years ago and noticed the same as yourself . i highly recommend them .

Would love to know if anyone can compare these to the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons I have. I've always liked goodyear tyres and I started buying them because they were usually rated the quietest, haven't tried michelins though.

My goodyears have about 21000 miles on them, I just went out to check the tread with a gauge out of curiosity. The fronts have 3-4mm left, rears 7mm, which makes sense as I don't bother rotating. Maybe I'll replace the fronts with Michelins and see if I notice any difference.

Good to hear. I have these on my NX and I think they suit the car well.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, m4rkw said:

http://www.transportengineer.org.uk/transport-engineer-news/michelin-hits-back-at-3mm-car-tyre-change-campaign-updated/155431

Michelin are cool. I think i’m going to start buying their tyres just because of their stance on this issue.

I too am a Crossclimate fan, they're on both  my cars.  Interesting article, but I am struggling with this bit:

"It also argues that in many places emergency braking is carried out in dry conditions. For example, citing Met office data, it points out that in London, roads are dry for 71% of days per year (106.5 days)."

When I was at school, there were 365 (or sometimes 366) days in a year.  71% of that is about 259 days.  Someone's got their figures wrong somewhere.

Dealer couldn’t match ATS price of £517 for the four tyres
I had my front two changed two years ago, I think my Xclimates cost me £300 for the pair, so that's a good price you paid

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, as13 said:

I had my front two changed two years ago, I think my Xclimates cost me £300 for the pair, so that's a good price you paid

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Yes,ATS were doing an August promotion of £50 of off 4 tyres plus a choice of amazon show or kindle..Cheapest I could find anywhere else was £576 

Great to hear so positively about the Michelin CrossClimate.

Here in Germany we had a long discussion in the LOC about the pros and cons of all season tires. I changed to Michelin already after 3 month to be winter ready. Best tire decision ever made  🙂. What I should have done differently though is to change the wheels from front to back more often. After 3 years I have the front on 3 mm and the back on 6 mm. 
I will replace 2 tires soon because of this.

You know what'd be really cool, "tyre experience days". Go to a track and have 4 x <premium brand> tyres fitted and get to experience a few laps of the track with the tyres to see how they feel compared to the ones you have. I'd pay decent money to be able to try all the premium brands out back to back in a day. I guess they'd have to enforce sensible speed limits to avoid people shredding them, and take a deposit for any serious damage caused by flouting the rules.

I guess where this idea falls down is A) having several rival companies coordinating such an event together and B) the expense of hiring a track and all the people and tooling required to swap tyres over making it cost-prohibitive

Would be so cool though!

On 9/1/2020 at 3:21 PM, Ian M said:

I too am a Crossclimate fan, they're on both  my cars.  Interesting article, but I am struggling with this bit:

"It also argues that in many places emergency braking is carried out in dry conditions. For example, citing Met office data, it points out that in London, roads are dry for 71% of days per year (106.5 days)."

When I was at school, there were 365 (or sometimes 366) days in a year.  71% of that is about 259 days.  Someone's got their figures wrong somewhere.

Looks like the number of week days in a year, maybe in London the roads are always wet at the weekends!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the front tyres on a previous NX from the OE Yokohamas to Goddyear Efficient Grip tyres and the transformation was scarcely believable. So much quieter and no bump thump through town. Now that I'm on my second NX I look forward to getting rid of the OE Yokohamas. I can well believe what the OP has said, it matches with my experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...