Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2008 Lexus ISF - Brutally Honest Review

Hello everyone

I owned my ISF for about 6 months and sold it recently,  here's my pros/cons list from my own experience  / opinion. It may help some who are looking to buy, and perhaps push people to go for a later model. It's all in my opinion of course, and some of the things are personal preference.

Pros

Reliability

Looks - Black the best colour 😝

Gear Shifts when driving hard using the paddles

Intake noise when secondary intake flaps opens - fantastic

Goes like the clappers!

'Blips' under heavy braking and downshifting - intoxicating!

Fuel Economy is fantastic for what it is (32+mpg on a run)

Cons

Harsh Ride (Mine was a 58 plate) but this is common knowledge and I knew this before purchasing.

Exhaust note - Mine had a Joe-Z style cat back. I never really liked the way it sounded like at idle and when you rev it a touch. Perhaps a different exhaust would solve that but it's not a touch on the C63

Pedal Map - Normal mode has the most annoying dead zone at the top of the pedal, sport mode is way too sensitive for low speed driving.(IMO)

Low speed shifting - found it too shift busy, but it does have 8 cogs to go through, with a fair amount of 'slip' between each at low speed.

Adaptive Cruise Control - Who on earth calibrated it - it's awful!

Chassis - Never really inspired confidence in the corners, not sure what it is,  just didn't feel that nimble or planted in the twisties?

Differential - On a car of this calibre, pulling out of a junction in the wet and performing a 'one tyre fire' is not cool. (Hence the 2010+ cars being favourable)

What is it? - People think you're driving a £2500 IS250. For some that's a pro, for me it was a huge con. I get more attention in my Golf MK5 GTi daily!

The cam driven high pressure fuel pumps are noisy, borderline annoying at idle! - Was worried sick there was an issue, then concluded it was normal!

Brutally honest there chaps, and interested in your views / opinion. I found myself driving the car hard most of the time, as found it boring to drive slow as it lacked 'character'

I think perhaps i'd consider a 2010+ car a few years down the line when I need a 'one car fits all' approach.... I used mine occasionally in the week but mainly at weekends. It lacked soul and character and the 'special' factor for me, especially as it was predominantly a weekend toy

Anyway, interested in others opinions either way.

• Like 1

I think i'd probably have more of your views if i had it as a weekend toy but i use mine as a daily driver (or near as dammit) and its great for that. The fact people think its a 'normal' car is one of the main reasons i wanted an ISF, like you say to some its a pro, others a con.

I think some small changes to yours would have rid you of some of your cons, Michelin PS4S tyres for example, pretty much black hoops of magic 😂 The first proper hooligan drive out on undulating twisties i had in mine when i got it, i was expecting it to be like a bit barge-like as i have a very focused weekend car, i couldnt have been more surprised.

Agree with the pedal settings though, i find myself driving around the issue in normal mode and just pressing my foot down more to compensate but i am considering one of those controllers to alter the modes, that might have got rid of that con.

If its any consolation the adaptive cruise is no worse in this than my previous Golf R, which was 7-8 years newer. I tend to find myself operating it like i did with normal cruise on previous cars but it involves a lot of cancelling then resuming.

• Like 1

Interesting thoughts, thanks for taking the time to give your impressions. I think you've been quite kind in your honesty.

I've got an 11 plate, and have driven an 08 too. The ride is a bit more crashy on the older cars and I do enjoy the LSD, in damp conditions especially.
No aftermarket exhaust for me, but have an intake and have disabled the second intake flap. Keeps that roar going from much lower down.

I didn't like the pedal map either, so I fitted an Apexi throttle controller. Perfect now. I like a sensitive pedal.

I think the shifting is pretty darn good on the whole and dont notice it change gears much at slow speed. It does sometimes get a bit confused, holding 1st for a bit longer than i think it should or reacting a bit slowly to a stomp from the right foot.

ACC is good, but I have little experience of it in other cars, so for all I know it's terrible in comparison. I like that it was standard though, was a cost option for the RC-F. It's annoying it brakes on a motorway quite early if coming up to something though.

I think it handles pretty darn well for what it is, keeps super flat in the corners and inspires confidence. Not much can keep up with me in the real world.

It is a massive sleeper, but those who know, know. Makes receiving comments or thumbs up extra special.

Never noticed noisy pumps? Maybe yours were a bit faulty?

• Like 1

Good write up!

i dun want attention hence chose the isf, otherwise the rcf would have easily attracted more attention for similar money

Pedal map.. i am ok with it probs becoz i either drive it flat out or like a hybrid when i use it as a family carrier.

exhaust wise, happy with my hayward and scott. Initially thought its too loud, after recently attending the open day at jm-import, i changed my opinion on this, could do with more roar.

Suspension is unacceptable for me.. road up here in the northeast is shocking. Kwv3 made this more acceptable. On hindsight, shoulda coughed up the extra 2-3k for airlift. 

cornering wise i do feel on occasion i will lose traction but thats likely due to my low spring rate. 

barry

• Like 1

I cannot relate to this review, but I had a totally standard low mileage 2012 model isf with pilot 4 tyres and proper diff. Was on rails and handled very well, and the ride was a little softer than the rcf. Never had the problem with lack of grip or bad ride, the handling was tight. Also the throttle was nice in normal mode and snappy and held the revs in sports mode. Had it over 3 years and did 30k miles in it. Gone to rcf now. 

• Like 2

Good honest “personal” review, I’ve a 2008-58 plate, had mine over 5 years now, absolutely love the sleeper factor it helps me sleep better knowing it’ll be there in the morning!......the ride is hard, wouldn’t say crashy although I’ve not driven a later car, having recently covered over 2600 miles across Europe what I can say is our roads are an absolute joke and damn right ****!...... I’m also 48 n don’t like having my photo taken so for me it’s a winner 😂.....I drove a friends jag f-type-r with the 5ltr, tbh I found it bloody awful, the whole car felt like it lifted n twisted under hard acceleration and gave me absolutely zero confidence in the lanes, I’d have my F any day over one of these, the M cars are common as most equivalents are, I am rather partial to a Maserati Quartroportie BUT the affordability of one puts me off (the constant repairing of it) 🙄.......honestly don’t know where I’ll go from mine, possibly just a norm as nothing out there particularly does it for me.

hope u enjoy your new adventure 

• Like 1

Well written, honest review.

The 5.0 V8 (in the the IS-F, RC-F & GS-F), it seems very difficult - if not impossible to get a good exhaust note without compromise.

I agree, you have to spank an F car to get enjoyment out of it. One of the reasons I left the fold.

As for twisties.......never had any complaints.

• Like 1

agree with you on most points but have have a few modifications to address some of the issues, Apexi throttle controller, H&S exhaust, BC Racing coilovers, 275 rear tyres 245 front, for me its the best handling car of that era in its category

• Like 1

I am surprised to see the handling comment, it seems to handle well to me and that seems to be generally consensus amoungst the motoring industry too.

I also cant get on board with the souless comment. Its in no way a video game esq RS audi you have to respect it, the level of detail put in by the engineers such as the curve of the F badge matching the fenders plus the peach of an engine are exactly the type of things that give a car soul to me. When there are faster, newer and cheaper cars around yet most owners have no desire to change adds further weight to that.

I think you were looking for more of a willy waving car, which is fair enough, and the F is not really that car.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, C.B said:

I am surprised to see the handling comment, it seems to handle well to me and that seems to be generally consensus amoungst the motoring industry too.

I also cant get on board with the souless comment. Its in no way a video game esq RS audi you have to respect it, the level of detail put in by the engineers such as the curve of the F badge matching the fenders plus the peach of an engine are exactly the type of things that give a car soul to me. When there are faster, newer and cheaper cars around yet most owners have no desire to change adds further weight to that.

I think you were looking for more of a willy waving car, which is fair enough, and the F is not really that car.

RCF is 😁

Yeah, I can't agree with the handling comment either. It doesn't have the most feel in the steering and rough surfaces do it nó favours but I find it extremely predictable in the bends and very balanced. I'd love to know how you find it wayward or what you mean exactly? My last car was a fiesta st and they handle like a peach but are also very rough on poor surfaces and lack steering feel. Probably more fun from a driving perspective because it's so small and nimble but the isf is pretty damn good too.

C63 has an amazing exhaust and nothing comes close to those. An M3 sounds great at full revs but sounds like something is broken at low revs.

I find the adaptive cruise control pretty good although our motorways are much quieter than the UK. You have to remember that very few cars had ACC back in 2008 and it was relatively new technology. Similarly, I've had other cars with rain sensing wipers from that era and they were *******. They are fantastic in the isf.

I kind of agree about the lack of attention comments. I've brought my car to a college course I'm doing and not one person has commented on it. I do gain a lot of respect for people who actually spot it though. Real car people. [emoji16]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Womble72 said:

I am rather partial to a Maserati Quartroportie BUT the affordability of one puts me off (the constant repairing of it) 🙄.......honestly don’t know where I’ll go from mine, possibly just a norm as nothing out there particularly does it for me.

Saw this comment..Coincidence that my colleague at work today asking me about an OBD reader for Maserati as multiple warning lights have came on in his quartroportie. I told him to buy an isf instead, will probs end up cheaper. Though that car does look sexy and sounds awesome.

• Like 2

I wouldn't have my 2010 isf as a weekend car. It's a perfect daily, and I actually love the accelerator in normal, as I drive through rush hour traffic. Becomes tiring in sport mode. 

I think for weekend duty I'd ideally want an LC500 or AMG GTS. 

• Like 1

The pedal dead-zone annoyed me too. Every so often, I’d remove one of the fuses from the fuse box and reset the throttle map, but the dead-zone would return after a while. Eventually just got fed up of ‘fixing’ it and drove around the issue. Mine never did it in sport either.

GSF doesn’t have it. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 3:33 PM, scott-o said:

I think i'd probably have more of your views if i had it as a weekend toy but i use mine as a daily driver (or near as dammit) and its great for that. The fact people think its a 'normal' car is one of the main reasons i wanted an ISF, like you say to some its a pro, others a con.

I think some small changes to yours would have rid you of some of your cons, Michelin PS4S tyres for example, pretty much black hoops of magic 😂 The first proper hooligan drive out on undulating twisties i had in mine when i got it, i was expecting it to be like a bit barge-like as i have a very focused weekend car, i couldnt have been more surprised.

Agree with the pedal settings though, i find myself driving around the issue in normal mode and just pressing my foot down more to compensate but i am considering one of those controllers to alter the modes, that might have got rid of that con.

If its any consolation the adaptive cruise is no worse in this than my previous Golf R, which was 7-8 years newer. I tend to find myself operating it like i did with normal cruise on previous cars but it involves a lot of cancelling then resuming.

I think you're right, If this had been my daily driver then i'm sure some of my views would be different. It's a fantastic daily that ticks all the boxes but unfortunately not special enough to drive to be solely a weekend garage queen. 

On 9/3/2020 at 4:48 PM, Toothy said:

Interesting thoughts, thanks for taking the time to give your impressions. I think you've been quite kind in your honesty.

I've got an 11 plate, and have driven an 08 too. The ride is a bit more crashy on the older cars and I do enjoy the LSD, in damp conditions especially.
No aftermarket exhaust for me, but have an intake and have disabled the second intake flap. Keeps that roar going from much lower down.

I didn't like the pedal map either, so I fitted an Apexi throttle controller. Perfect now. I like a sensitive pedal.

I think the shifting is pretty darn good on the whole and dont notice it change gears much at slow speed. It does sometimes get a bit confused, holding 1st for a bit longer than i think it should or reacting a bit slowly to a stomp from the right foot.

ACC is good, but I have little experience of it in other cars, so for all I know it's terrible in comparison. I like that it was standard though, was a cost option for the RC-F. It's annoying it brakes on a motorway quite early if coming up to something though.

I think it handles pretty darn well for what it is, keeps super flat in the corners and inspires confidence. Not much can keep up with me in the real world.

It is a massive sleeper, but those who know, know. Makes receiving comments or thumbs up extra special.

Never noticed noisy pumps? Maybe yours were a bit faulty?

Sounds like you've targeted a few of the downfalls with the ISF in standard form! - Nice

My comment about the low speed shifting was a bit unfair to be honest, It was pretty darn good considering the age of the vehicle and the nature of the transmission. I think the area that i always picked up on was when you slow for a speed bump and it select 1st gear, sometimes it would hold onto 1st for a little longer than seemed necessary - perhaps just a small error state in the calibration.

The ACC was OK i guess considering that in 2008 this was one of the first to be introduced with such technology. The other thing that used to bug me, and perhaps there is a way to do it, is that the ACC only went up and down in 5mph increments?

Regarding the handling, perhaps i'll retract that comment. I hadn't pushed it too hard and when i did it was on the awful roads by me. I think the stiff damping felt like it was unsettling the car on bad roads when cornering hard. I'd of liked to do a track day to really understand it's limits and then perhaps i'd of come back with a completely different opinion. 

Regarding the pumps, perhaps i'm exaggerating a bit and was comparing it to the silent idle from previous LS400 / GS430 that I've owned. They were not direct injection though so not a fair comparison. The high pressure pumps on the ISF however, were absolutely noticeable at idle. Not a negative i suppose, just a characteristic of a DI system. They all do it to varying degrees of intrusiveness.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links