Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LED Reversing Light

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

These are the ones that I bought and they work a treat, but you do need to remove the silly shrouds in the light fitting for best results.

1144538163_rxrevlight.thumb.png.71f11835efc2c00922c98c23e3fd0c4f.png

Hmm  - 'your' seller appears to stock more than one variant (and this) of this 'bulb', and unless I've missed something (which is most likely the case) - I assume they are both compatible, but simply of a different chip layout?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Illogan said:

Hmm  - 'your' seller appears to stock more than one variant (and this) of this 'bulb', and unless I've missed something (which is most likely the case) - I assume they are both compatible, but simply of a different chip layout?

Well, we traded the RX300 in about two and a half years ago and I put these LEDs in about 18 months before that, so I can't remember exactly which variant is needed - but both links you've provided go to the same variant anyway?

In fact, I'm so sure that they're the correct ones that if the don't fit, I'll refund you the cost of them :thumbsup:

EDIT: I think I see what you mean now - the ones I got have 6 LED chips each side with 3 on the top, whereas the ones pictured in the advert have 18 each side and 9 on the top. I'm afraid I don't know what the difference (if any) will be. All I can say is that they will physically fit and the link is the one I used years ago - maybe the trader just changed the item behind the link if that makes sense?

• Like 3

On 9/4/2020 at 6:16 AM, Herbie said:

These are the ones that I bought and they work a treat, but you do need to remove the silly shrouds in the light fitting for best results.

1144538163_rxrevlight.thumb.png.71f11835efc2c00922c98c23e3fd0c4f.png

Herbie, what is this shroud that you refer to? Is it the reflector behind the bulb, or is that a separate component?

1 hour ago, welland said:

Herbie, what is this shroud that you refer to? Is it the reflector behind the bulb, or is that a separate component?

It's a stupid bit of chromed tin that covers the top of the bulb, you can remove it with a cross head screwdriver.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, welland said:

It's this silly thing - it's no wonder that the original light is so feeble with this in place:

car2.thumb.jpg.1bc9707e8aef0c3c183293d35df1bbec.jpg

revlight.thumb.jpg.d04379190389b3809b09ff0633f51058.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted the leds, and to be honest didn't get very much improvement.

Went back in this morning to take out the shrouds and mine are not like the photos above.  The shroud and bayonet holder appear to be the same bit of tin (or whatever).  There does not appear to be any way to get them out.  No cross head screws to be seen.

In passing, I had the car in for the French MOT (controle technique - to be done every 2 years here, and part of the procedure for getting French plates),  It passed but with the advisory that the main  (traction) Battery cables were corroded.  Is this a thing with the RX400H?

I also asked the guy which lights I could change for leds.  Answer was all of them except the HID dipped beams - and obviously not the rear ones that are already LED.

So the Twenty20s went in this morning.  A nice little 15 minute job.

1 hour ago, Superduner said:

Went back in this morning to take out the shrouds and mine are not like the photos above.  The shroud and bayonet holder appear to be the same bit of tin (or whatever).  There does not appear to be any way to get them out.  No cross head screws to be seen.

You have to remove the light cluster itself to get access to the shrouds/shades.

3 minutes ago, Herbie said:

1. Just to improve the brightness

2. Yes, I think there is a limit but these LEDs are well within said limit.

Don`t think there is a limit Herb, but one needs to be sensible.

No more than 2 reversing lights are permitted and the light must be white.

Not needed for M.O.T. PURPOSES.

• Like 3

Hmm, so I decided to get the light clusters off this morning and am not having much luck

I can see 2x10mm nuts that look to be the only ones holding the cluster, but loosening them and trying gently to prise off the cluster is not working.  Am I missing another fastening, or are the clusters likely to be held on with sealant?

Edited to add that I'd missed the obvious one on the edge of the tailgate.  Job done, so just have to wait until tonight to see how good they are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, Superduner said:

Hmm, so I decided to get the light clusters off this morning and am not having much luck

I can see 2x10mm nuts that look to be the only ones holding the cluster, but loosening them and trying gently to prise off the cluster is not working.  Am I missing another fastening, or are the clusters likely to be held on with sealant?

Edited to add that I'd missed the obvious one on the edge of the tailgate.  Job done, so just have to wait until tonight to see how good they are.

How good were they? 

Thinking of doing mine. 

Pretty good actually.  I've had several comments from people standing near me when reversing about how bright they are.

The reversing camera lets it down a bit.  It is not a great performer in anything other than daylight - but the mod is definitely worth doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Superduner said:

The reversing camera lets it down a bit.  It is not a great performer in anything other than daylight

Not quite sure I'd agree with that. It's a bit difficult to get a photo of the screen in the car but I reckon that the reversing camera does quite a good job in the dark - this is reversing into my driveway with no illumination except for the reversing lights:

IMG_20201106_193339.thumb.jpg.1916f66b60ca08ba2ea529de3bb9e646.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live out in the countryside, and have to reverse down a narrow drive with hedges both sides.  It's possible that they soak up the light, I suppose!

In any case, the leds are definitely better than stock.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Herbie said:

Not quite sure I'd agree with that. It's a bit difficult to get a photo of the screen in the car but I reckon that the reversing camera does quite a good job in the dark - this is reversing into my driveway with no illumination except for the reversing lights:

IMG_20201106_193339.thumb.jpg.1916f66b60ca08ba2ea529de3bb9e646.jpg

The 450h camera is a step up from the 400h camera performance wise, but the LED reversing light mod for the 400h does vastly improve visibility. 

• 5 months later...

I've been meaning to remove the shrouds from my reversing lights for ages and decided to have a go today.  I removed the first light cluster from the car easily enough and I can clearly see the shroud through the lens, and the screw holding it in place.  However, to remove the shroud, I will need to separate the front lens from the rear bulb holder, and that's difficult.  

I've removed all the screws that hold the lens in place, but it is stuck fast to the rear part.  I tried to gently price them apart using a very wide bladed screwdriver, but it won't budge, and I've even made a minor crack near the edge of the lens.  So, I've stopped for now, because I don't want to break the lens.  

Can anybody offer any advice about separating these two parts, please?  

2 hours ago, welland said:

However, to remove the shroud, I will need to separate the front lens from the rear bulb holder, and that's difficult.  

I didn't do that.

It's a few years ago now and it was an RX300, not a 400h, but I'm certain you just unscrew the shroud and then either use long-nosed pliers to get it out or just turn the unit upside down and the shroud comes out.

EDIT: I found this PDF file a long time ago and have just stumbled across it again. This will tell you everything you need to know:

Removing_bulb_cover_from_reverseing__light.pdf

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

I didn't do that.

It's a few years ago now and it was an RX300, not a 400h, but I'm certain you just unscrew the shroud and then either use long-nosed pliers to get it out or just turn the unit upside down and the shroud comes out.

EDIT: I found this PDF file a long time ago and have just stumbled across it again. This will tell you everything you need to know:

Removing_bulb_cover_from_reverseing__light.pdf 917.09 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks Herbie.  I'll have another look in the morning,  but I didn't think it looked possible to remove the shroud through the hole where the bulb fits.  Also confusing what all those other crosshead screws do, as when removed, nothing else cones apart.

40 minutes ago, welland said:

but I didn't think it looked possible to remove the shroud through the hole where the bulb fits

Well my memory was obviously playing tricks on me because that PDF document shows that it doesn't go through the 'lamp' hole, but just pulls up after removing that Philips screw.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links