Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

seat belt beeper and boot release

peasoup39

Car has suddenly developed two problems

1  The seat belt warning beeper goes off all the time. Seat belt light goes out when you insert the seat belt but after about 5 mph the warning beeper sounds continuously.. Put the passenger seat belt in as well but it made no difference. I would assume the beeper is in the same circuit as the warning light but that goes off and stays off. Below about 5mph the beeper stops.

2  The boot  unlock switch will not operate and release the boot. I discovered this as i checked the boot was not open in case this was setting off the beeper. Is there an emergency cable for the boot. I know i could get in by opening the roof but would assume there is a mechanical release somewhere

It has a button labeled Trunk opener / cancel which is switched when the glove box is closed . I have pressed it and it did nothing. Tried opening boot with normal button with glovebox open and closed and no difference

The button at the glove box is a valet switch. You can switch it on or off to enable/disable the boot release. Opening and closing the glove-box should not affect the switch.

I agree On second inspection it does not operate when glove box is closed it just looked like the small rubber bumper aligned with it on closure.

I have switched the button on and off in the glove box it makes no difference to the the boot opening on the normal button. According to the manual there is a wire pull cable iin the rear centre box but i cannot find it on mine. Fortunately the key remote still works so i am not stuck.

Read up on the forum about deleting the seat belt buzzer buy using the odometer switch and inserting the seat belt into the holder. Tried several times and it did not work. I was amused by one forum member who described the procedure as "Another Lexus dance". It appears that there are loads of ways of setting , adjusting , pogramming etc using a variety of buttons and sequences. I have already tried to programme a new key using the brake and accelerator and failed at that as well

Perhaps the valet switch is faulty or there's an earth fault present.

The emergency boot release pull cable is under the felt mat at the bottom of the centre armrest. 

The link below might help in your search for the problem. I would start with the fuses, valet switch and boot switch connections and check there is 12.5V or more across the Battery terminals. 

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/576633-sc430-trunk-and-fuel-door-buttons-are-not-working.html

The boot opening i will investigate when i have a chance but at the moment it is not important.

What is driving me crazy is that the seat belt beeper is sounding all the time even when the seat belt is attached and the  light goes off.

I have spent the best [part of the day going through the forums solution of disabling the beeper. There are several different suggestions for different models but the ones for the SC are fairly consistent.

ignition on.. with odometer set to ODO. press reset button for 12 seconds and whilst still holding the reset button put the seat belt in. This should bring up b-off. Well mine does not. i have tried every time interval from 10 to 45 seconds , switching ignition on and off twice before starting and nothing i try can bring up the b-off so i can get rid of the beeper. Where am i going wrong? As it is beeping all the time it may be a fault in the system which is preventing me from resetting but as good as the Mark Levinson system is i would rather drive in silence than have the loud radio on to cancel out the beeps

I think you may be right, if there's a fault then the beep disabling sequence may not be an option. 

A few ideas.

Any signs of water running down the inside of the A pillar/behind the dash?

1 Disconnect the Battery negative terminal for a few minutes to see if it resets itself.

2 Attach a code reader to the obd port to see if a fault code can be identified.

3 Take the seat out and inspect the wiring. Does it still beep with the seat removed or disconnected?

4 Consult an auto-electrician to trace the fault..

Ordered the techstream software and cable on e bay but not downloaded it yet.so not tried to disarm the beeper

However had a lightbulb moment and plugged in the rear seat belts. He presto the cpnstant beeping stopped.There is nothing on the backseats to make them  sound but who cares the problem has gone.

Now i can worry about the boot release.

13 minutes ago, peasoup39 said:

Ordered the techstream software and cable on e bay but not downloaded it yet.so not tried to disarm the beeper

However had a lightbulb moment and plugged in the rear seat belts. He presto the cpnstant beeping stopped.There is nothing on the backseats to make them  sound but who cares the problem has gone.

Now i can worry about the boot release.

That'll be sensors thinking someone is sitting on the back seats then. It'd be worth testing if you need to plug in both to make it go away or just one side. Then you'll know which sensor is likely duff. Might also be worth figuring out where the sensors are and jiggling the connector around a bit, on BMWs these commonly fail because the seats get moved around a lot and it ends up damaging the wiring.

Since found out that it has killed the beeper even if i do not put my seat belt in. but warning light still flashes if i have not done up my belt

So happy to have stopped the beeping so not going to mess with it in case it starts again. Rear Seats never used so no problem