Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evening All,

Many thanks for having me as a member.

I’ve just purchased a 61 plate IS200 D and this is probably the first of many questions to come;

It only had 1 key with it but on eBay there is an exact one for sale for just under £60, is this a good price and can I get the new key programmed?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

I recently had to source a second key for my sons Mercedes and looked at the offerings on eBay. The "blank" key would need programming at dealership so check first. There is a risk of the dealer taking a deep breath and telling you the blank bought is not working properly. Checked out a quality locksmith - Neners Ltd Swansea, they could do most models but when they interrogated the car ccu found the car model had a revised key that year (2015) and their software could not program. Cost would have been about £160, and they do need the car for a few hours. Decided in end to use MB dealer and they ordered a new genuine key (£280) using car VIN number. Key came ready to go and worked perfectly (had to show V5).

Use Lexus dealer or enquire at quality locksmith.

Good luck

David 

• Like 1

Hello Jeff and welcome to the LOC.

Generally if you have the 3 button Master key ( locks and unlocks the boot and glovebox) you can reprogrammed another key from it. You will also have to have a new blade cut.

You normally have one master which will open everything and has 3 buttons then 2 “Valet” keys which will open the doors and start the car but not open the boot or glovebox as you don’t want the valet parking guy looking in there ( OK we don’t have much valet paring in the UK except for maybe airport parking). Finally there is normally a skeleton key so just a blade to get you in the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

You normally have one master which will open everything and has 3 buttons then 2 “Valet” keys which will open the doors and start the car but not open the boot or glovebox as you don’t want the valet parking guy looking in there

Steve I think you are too old school 😉 The newer models don't have valet keys, normally just two keys. Series I IS would have two master and one valet but I don't think the series II ever did.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links