malcolmw

LC500 Soft Top

Recommended Posts

I have received a message from Lexus UK asking me if I want to "reserve" a convertible LC500 for the autumn. Just £5,000 down now and the rest of the £100K later (but you can cancel at any time).

Any takers? Any cars to see in the UK yet?

I am not convinced about soft tops as I had a Merc SL500 and really didn't have the roof down that much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always say no to cold callers Malc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Any cars to see in the UK yet?

I don't think so, certainly haven't seen any UK reviews yet so the press vehicles may not even be here yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, malcolmw said:

I have received a message from Lexus UK asking me if I want to "reserve" a convertible LC500 for the autumn. Just £5,000 down now and the rest of the £100K later (but you can cancel at any time).

Any takers? Any cars to see in the UK yet?

I am not convinced about soft tops as I had a Merc SL500 and really didn't have the roof down that much. 

My friend has always had an SL500, usually every 2 years and lives in Wimbledon, so better climate than the rest of us. He has just changed to a Porsche  Macan because of the limited time he has the top down, and when he does the sun is so strong he has no protection, so totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree not really for this country, you need the perfect day, not raining , not cold, so that leaves 2 weeks.

the last time i went to Vegas the hire company tried to convince me to go for a Mustang, why i said, so you can have the top down and enjoy the sun, its 110 degrees out there i want the top up and the AC on.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the email too, but really would have to see it in the flesh before considering a down payment.  I see in the US, dealers are putting up to a $50,000 markup on the convertibles.  Crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same email too and am tempted but not at £100k. I have a 911 convertible and although it's my second car, it has been used a lot more as a first car recently. I would go with open top option every single time with this kind of car - I would say 90% of my driving is roof down - it's a pleasure at any speed and I just wrap up when it's cold. I am a motorcyclist too so perhaps that's why I like the open air feeling. If finances prevail I would definitely look at the LC soft top - Porsche is a lovely drive but the dealership experience is awful compared to Lexus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Convertible does have the neck heaters (on the higher spec ones I see) so that does sound kind of cool, though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool and warm😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin,

Take a look at Lexus Cardiff Facebook page. There are pics of an owner collecting his new LC500 convertible in a beautiful blue.The Regatta launch colour I think.

Must be one of th e first in the UK.

I was told the verts should have been here early summer but no doubt cv screwed that  up.

A J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJ500 said:

Kevin,

Take a look at Lexus Cardiff Facebook page. There are pics of an owner collecting his new LC500 convertible in a beautiful blue.The Regatta launch colour I think.

Must be one of th e first in the UK.

I was told the verts should have been here early summer but no doubt cv screwed that  up.

A J.

Well spotted A J. Their Facebook page also says the Convertible arrived in the UK on 5th Oct...

Lexus Exeter said late April early May... Lexus Edinburgh said March...

I have just paid my deposit to Edinburgh...

I am surprised there hasn't been any reviews of the Convertible driven on the UK roads...

Watch the savagegeese youtube videos and let me have your thoughts... 

KW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been UK reviews in the motor press.If you type “Lexus LC convertible UK reviews” into your search engine it will give you Evo,Autocar,Top Gear and Autoexpress all around end September early October with UK plate cars.

Most give it almost full marks.I dont care what the press says about any car and I give Lexus full marks for making such a wonderful car.

A J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AJ500 said:

There have been UK reviews in the motor press.If you type “Lexus LC convertible UK reviews” into your search engine it will give you Evo,Autocar,Top Gear and Autoexpress all around end September early October with UK plate cars.

Most give it almost full marks.I dont care what the press says about any car and I give Lexus full marks for making such a wonderful car.

A J.

Thanks A J. I have just had a phone call from the guy at Urban. They now have my wheel back from TRS, and will be delivering my LC 500 on Tuesday...

He said he thought he saw 3 other 21 inch wheels there... He is sending me some photos to put on the Forum...

I think I will set up a new Topic to ask how many Forum members have ordered a Convertible... Be interesting to know, how many...!

KW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin,

I have watched both the original Savagegeese video and his latest on the Convertible.

I like his presentations which go way beyond most others,who appear to be used more as influencers than technical reviewers.

From the latest,I learnt that the vert loses the rear steer and other Sport plus attributes.This would not worry me as my Sport model looks like the Plus but doesnt have these items and I have no issue with that having driven both models.Also,I disagree with his comment regarding the harsh suspension of the earlier cars.My wife and I immediately said how comfortable the ride is,whilst retaining a sporting edge.I came from several BMW M cars which are out and out sports tuned.My car also has runflats but I like the ride so would expect to stay with those if they are available.
It certainly appears that the vert has much softer suspension but you will be in the best position to judge as you will have had an earlier car for some months before your vert arrives.
Comments about the tech etc are of no interest.We quickly got used to the touch pad and couldnt care less about apple carplay etc.We do love the Mark Levinson though.The graphics are not great but good enough and we are used to the fantastic nav in our daily BMW.

In summary,this is a very powerful luxury GT car,not an out and out sports car and the vast majority of buyers will drive it accordingly rather than wring its neck and see if its rear wants to visit a hedge.

A J.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJ500 said:

There have been UK reviews in the motor press.If you type “Lexus LC convertible UK reviews” into your search engine it will give you Evo,Autocar,Top Gear and Autoexpress all around end September early October with UK plate cars.

Most give it almost full marks.I dont care what the press says about any car and I give Lexus full marks for making such a wonderful car.

A J.

I have just read them all, and they all, as you say, give it almost full marks... I look forward to Tuesday...!

KW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2020 at 1:26 PM, AJ500 said:

Kevin,

I have watched both the original Savagegeese video and his latest on the Convertible.

I like his presentations which go way beyond most others,who appear to be used more as influencers than technical reviewers.

From the latest,I learnt that the vert loses the rear steer and other Sport plus attributes.This would not worry me as my Sport model looks like the Plus but doesnt have these items and I have no issue with that having driven both models.Also,I disagree with his comment regarding the harsh suspension of the earlier cars.My wife and I immediately said how comfortable the ride is,whilst retaining a sporting edge.I came from several BMW M cars which are out and out sports tuned.My car also has runflats but I like the ride so would expect to stay with those if they are available.
It certainly appears that the vert has much softer suspension but you will be in the best position to judge as you will have had an earlier car for some months before your vert arrives.
Comments about the tech etc are of no interest.We quickly got used to the touch pad and couldnt care less about Apple carplay etc.We do love the Mark Levinson though.The graphics are not great but good enough and we are used to the fantastic nav in our daily BMW.

In summary,this is a very powerful luxury GT car,not an out and out sports car and the vast majority of buyers will drive it accordingly rather than wring its neck and see if its rear wants to visit a hedge.

A J.

 

 

 

A J, being nosey, whats your daily BMW...? Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our daily is currently a M140 ShadowEdition. We bought it new in 18 and it has to be one of the best  drivers cars we have had. 6 cylinder,3 litre in a small 5 door car and rear wheel drive.Plus usually 42mpg.

The BMW i drive system is far and away the best I have experienced and was present in my M4 and M2Competition.

We dont need a large daily so this has been more than adequate but we are currently looking into short listing a new car. The replacement to the 140 is the new M135i and I have had a loaner .Its quick and nice inside but looks odd in our opinion.Maybe.

We are also considering a very different approach by looking into a hybrid ,just to see what its all about.The Lexus UX is a possibility or even a Toyota as you get a better warranty for the exact same chassis/drivetrain.Its a question of giving up the brutal power of the BMW.

Normally we have an MX5 alongside but I am awaiting to see what Mazda do as they are out on a limb with no turbo engines and lack of electric to reduce down their emissions.
Hope this isnt too long winded an answer to your question Kevin.

A J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AJ500 said:

Our daily is currently a M140 ShadowEdition. We bought it new in 18 and it has to be one of the best  drivers cars we have had. 6 cylinder,3 litre in a small 5 door car and rear wheel drive.Plus usually 42mpg.

The BMW i drive system is far and away the best I have experienced and was present in my M4 and M2Competition.

We dont need a large daily so this has been more than adequate but we are currently looking into short listing a new car. The replacement to the 140 is the new M135i and I have had a loaner .Its quick and nice inside but looks odd in our opinion.Maybe.

We are also considering a very different approach by looking into a hybrid ,just to see what its all about.The Lexus UX is a possibility or even a Toyota as you get a better warranty for the exact same chassis/drivetrain.Its a question of giving up the brutal power of the BMW.

Normally we have an MX5 alongside but I am awaiting to see what Mazda do as they are out on a limb with no turbo engines and lack of electric to reduce down their emissions.
Hope this isnt too long winded an answer to your question Kevin.

A J.

No, it's not too long winded at all... It gave me some time looking at youtube...

Mat Watson's carwow comparison of the two BMW's was interesting, as was his review of the Lexus UX...

50+ MPG from the Lexus UX...!

I agree that the BMW i drive system is very good. I have had it in several BMW's... But I am, like yourself, getting used to the trackpad in the Lexus...

Decisions, decisions...! I would probably have a 2nd Lexus... KW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 5:46 PM, malcolmw said:

I have received a message from Lexus UK asking me if I want to "reserve" a convertible LC500 for the autumn. Just £5,000 down now and the rest of the £100K later (but you can cancel at any time).

Any takers? Any cars to see in the UK yet?

I am not convinced about soft tops as I had a Merc SL500 and really didn't have the roof down that much. 

Being curious Malcolm. Who sent you the message, mentioning reserving a convertible for the autumn...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was offered the same deal when i was at the dealership last week having my alloy repaired.

The convertible is not for me due to the low millage I do and my unsociable working hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wendle said:

I was offered the same deal when i was at the dealership last week having my alloy repaired.

The convertible is not for me due to the low millage I do and my unsociable working hours.

Chris, sorry to hear that Kent will be in tier 3 after Lockdown... 

I do little driving because I am a full time carer for my wife, who has MS... 

I am a retired Property Developer, but I am still building a couple of properties, adjacent to where I live.

Can I ask, has your dealership took any orders for the convertible...?

If you drove more miles, and didn't work unsociable hours... Would you want a Convertible...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Kevin,

Regarding the offer to reserve a convertible, I think it was from Lexus UK HQ. I have deleted the message now so I can't be sure.

I am sorry to hear abut your wife. Co-incidentally, my wife also had MS (of the primary progressive variety) and was very severely disabled by the time of her death in 2001. I understand how difficult it is to handle this type of situation so you have my best wishes.

Malcolm  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Keven

I know its sounds a bit confusing, and although my county is Kent, my area comes under a London borough so we will thankfully be in tier 2

I test drove the convertible last week, same colour combination as mine , very nice, slightly noisier  inside the cabin with the top up, i did have the top down for a few miles just to get the feel

I have never owned a convertible, and it has never really appealed to me.

my reasons are

The weather in the UK would probable only allow me to drive with the top down for 20% of its life. and i would consider the South, East / West of the country to be the warmer parts of the country, and  if its to hot then i would have the roof up and the air con on.

security, concerns about the soft top, damage ect. ( probably less so in the part of the country you live in )

Keeping the interior clean, driving around in the warmer, dryer and DUSTY conditions, again  probably less so in the part of the country you live i.

Due to the rearaty of soft top cars in general and even more so a Lexus would i have problems when it comes to selling it. which is why i always buy the top of the range with all the possible extras.

Having said all this i really think that the LC in convertible form looks stunning, even more so with the top down but just not for me

I hope you enjoy it when it arrives, and very much looking forward to the photos

And best wishes to your wife

Chris

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wendle said:

Hi Keven

I know its sounds a bit confusing, and although my county is Kent, my area comes under a London borough so we will thankfully be in tier 2

I test drove the convertible last week, same colour combination as mine , very nice, slightly noisier  inside the cabin with the top up, i did have the top down for a few miles just to get the feel

I have never owned a convertible, and it has never really appealed to me.

my reasons are

The weather in the UK would probable only allow me to drive with the top down for 20% of its life. and i would consider the South, East / West of the country to be the warmer parts of the country, and  if its to hot then i would have the roof up and the air con on.

security, concerns about the soft top, damage ect. ( probably less so in the part of the country you live in )

Keeping the interior clean, driving around in the warmer, dryer and DUSTY conditions, again  probably less so in the part of the country you live i.

Due to the rearaty of soft top cars in general and even more so a Lexus would i have problems when it comes to selling it. which is why i always buy the top of the range with all the possible extras.

Having said all this i really think that the LC in convertible form looks stunning, even more so with the top down but just not for me

I hope you enjoy it when it arrives, and very much looking forward to the photos

And best wishes to your wife

Chris

Hello Chris,

Its great to hear from a Forum member that has driven a convertible...! You are the first...! 

savagegeese does several youtube reviews of cars. He has done a 44 minutes review of the Coupe, and a 14 minute review of the Convertible...

@ 8 minutes he comments about how much nicer the ride is in the convertible...

He says that anyone with a severe case of haemorrhiods, the convertible will be your dream car...!

Fortunately, I don't have haemorrhiods, but I am still going to buy a convertible...!

Did you find the ride any different / better than your coupe...?

Thanks for the best wishes to my wife...

I will let you know when I have the convertible...

Kevin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.