Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS250 2007 unable to open door with key

Joolsd

Dear Forum, Apologies for a rushed post as I am a bit worried.

I went abroad for 3 weeks and on return discovered that both the smart key and the manual lock won't open the door at all. My guess is that the Battery has run flat. The emergency key should turn 70 degrees if I am correct, but it wont turn at all. The boot won't open as well. How can you open the bonnet without going into the car?

It is worrying that I can not enter the car at all and I wouldn't know how anyone else would, with out breaking something? All I can do is email Lexus in Tunbridge Well UK.

They always want to sell me a new car, but as much as I'd love to I am embarking on tough times with Covid19 effecting my livelihood.

Any advice please or trouble shots?

A great car btw,

Thank you 

Check the manual for the emergency opening procedure, maybe you missed a step or a key bit of information that's making it seem like it doesn't work?

Failing that, call a vehicle locksmith. I locked myself out of a toyota some years ago and the guy turned up and used some tricks to get in. Those guys know a lot of tricks. I think it cost about £60.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Check the manual for the emergency opening procedure, maybe you missed a step or a key bit of information that's making it seem like it doesn't work?

Failing that, call a vehicle locksmith. I locked myself out of a toyota some years ago and the guy turned up and used some tricks to get in. Those guys know a lot of tricks. I think it cost about £60.

Thank you for the reply unfortunately the manual is in the car. When you say the 'emergency opening procedure' is that something different to the manual lock opening where you take the key out of the smart key?

Is there a link you could recommend? Or pdf somewhere online?

1 minute ago, Joolsd said:

Thank you for the reply unfortunately the manual is in the car. When you say the 'emergency opening procedure' is that something different to the manual lock opening where you take the key out of the smart key?

Is there a link you could recommend? Or pdf somewhere online?

I just found this: https://www.youcanic.com/guide/open-lexus-trunk-when-battery-dead

• Like 1

Just now, Joolsd said:

Thanks, sorry but I have tried this and the key won't turn?  

Hmm, don't know then. Are you sure it's the right key? Do you have another one? Is it possible that a previous owner bought a second hand smart key from eBay and reprogrammed it for the car?

• Like 1

Hmm, don't know then. Are you sure it's the right key? Do you have another one? Is it possible that a previous owner bought a second hand smart key from ebay and reprogrammed it for the car?

I have used the key before so it should work. I could try the other I have a spare one. The lock smith approach is a good one.

OK Thanks and good idea @ Colin

If you've used it before then it sounds like Colin is probably on the right track and it's just a bit stiff. 

I will give it a good tug, theoretically it should work right, the electrics wouldn't stop a key from working?

Thanks for your replies, I will pick up in the morning.

16 minutes ago, Joolsd said:

theoretically it should work right, the electrics wouldn't stop a key from working?

Nope, and if you have double-locked the door then the mechanical key on the series II IS will still unlock the drivers door, but will be stiff to unlock (on some Lexus models, double-locking actually prevents the mechanical key from working at all).

• Like 1

OK mystery solved.

I went out and tried to look at the trunk, hoping that there might be a secret lock. For some reason, I thought I'd give the trunk a pull and it opened, meaning it wasn't shut properly the whole time I was away. Then I thought I'd try the drivers door again and it worked. It would seem like the driver lock won't open if the trunk is open. I'm not sure if there is a light in the trunk but maybe that drained the Battery. I'd be surprised if it was the headlights as a warning sound occurs, unless that failed? I might be able to re-charge the Battery, but at least I know what is going on now.

Anyway thanks for your trouble shots, much appreciated.

• Like 1

Just now, m4rkw said:

It’s worth having a jump-starter in the glovebox for situations like this.

I'm considering disconnecting the Battery in future as well, when going away.  And checking everything is off.

• 10 months later...

Hi All.

Hope you all had a good year.

I am having the same issue after going away. Again the same issue. Again the 'emergency opening procedure' is not working. Even the truck lock won't open. I can not see any doors open. Again maybe the key has jammed but it seems a bit odd that both the trunk and drivers lock is jammed. Would appreciate some ideas. I should have left the truck open an taken the Battery out before going away. 

Thank you

EDIT:

OK I know what has happen. There are two sets of keys. One works and the other doesn't. Or the previous owner got another set of keys and nobody knew that. I will have to remember this for next year.

Thanks

Jools

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links