Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apple CarPlay for 2019 UX250H

Hi

My UX is in for first service next week. Can anyone give a definitive answer on if apple CarPlay can be retrofitted during the service? Is it available, and will the dealership normally install FOC?

Thanks..

I don’t believe the update is ready yet. It has been delayed due to Covid. 
The costs will depend on the dealer. Some may do it FOC but most likely they will charge something to cover the time it will take. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just downloaded the update from Tec-EU no: BE-00436L-TME. It requires 3 USB's which it says can be obtained from Lexus parts Europe although I see no reason not to use USB's of the relevant size. Unfortunately I cannot unzip the downloads - I get asked for Command.cmd password. I tried my PC password to no avail so probably will end up contacting my dealer to see if they will do it. Supposed to take about one hour thirty minutes.

Any one got any idea's?

Updated OK today, downloading to my PC, unzipping and copying the appropriate files to the 3 USB's. Carefully followed the instructions, swapping USB's etc. Took about 2 hours in the vehicle. Seems to work fine.

Suggest leaving it to the dealer if you are not particularly PC literate, you are warned. 

This is fantastic news! I made my dealer promise that I'd get the apple CarPlay upgrade for free whenever it was released, as my ex-demo 2019 model lacks the feature. It's in for service right now, I'll give them a call and ask them to do the upgrade for me while it's with them!

I asked about CarPlay at the service. My dealer reported they'd had info advising that the required kit etc would be with dealers mid Oct & they would get back to me to arrange for me to come in after that. Their response re cost was that CarPlay is normally a £250 option but retrofitting is £80.

Just called my service department, this was all news to them, but they're going to investigate. Somewhat worrying, the adviser I spoke to was under the impression that only 2020-on models could be retrofitted, contrary to what I was told and read elsewhere...

Nick

1 hour ago, JohnP56 said:

I asked about CarPlay at the service. My dealer reported they'd had info advising that the required kit etc would be with dealers mid Oct & they would get back to me to arrange for me to come in after that. Their response re cost was that CarPlay is normally a £250 option but retrofitting is £80.

That seems a reasonable price for retrofitting JP.

1 hour ago, EvilRacer329 said:

Just called my service department, this was all news to them, but they're going to investigate. Somewhat worrying, the adviser I spoke to was under the impression that only 2020-on models could be retrofitted, contrary to what I was told and read elsewhere...

Nick

It is so sad to find that when dealing with car salesmen an oral contract is denied!

Write down everything that is agreed and incorporate it into an email to the Salesman with a copy to the Dealer Principal. 

You will be amazed how effective that practice can be. It will either be denied immediately or accepted grudgingly.

Have contacted Guildford dealership this week re: Android Auto (which I believe is released alongside CarPlay).  They said that they'll contact me back in a week or so when they start taking bookings for the retrofit.  Will update (i) when bookings open and (ii) regarding cost.

1 hour ago, IMc said:

Have contacted Guildford dealership this week re: Android Auto (which I believe is released alongside CarPlay).  They said that they'll contact me back in a week or so when they start taking bookings for the retrofit.  Will update (i) when bookings open and (ii) regarding cost.

Hello Ian and welcome to L.O.C.

Guilford is part of the Inchcape Group Ian. It would be interesting to know if they do contact you again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 4:02 PM, royoftherovers said:

Hello Ian and welcome to L.O.C.

Guilford is part of the Inchcape Group Ian. It would be interesting to know if they do contact you again.

Now booked in for installation next week. £80 incl VAT (as some others have previously commented).

I spoke to my dealer (Milton Keynes) yesterday, and they said they've received the training but not the kits themselves (USB sticks etc.) Apparently the training emphasises that if dealers screw the process up they're responsible for the £1,000 repair that would result, presumably from bricking the entire entertainment system. Apparently there are a lot of things that can go wrong, a lot of ways that they could get it wrong - up to and including attempting the upgrade on a not-entirely-compatible unit.

I'm definitely waiting to let my dealer handle this one...

Nick

18 minutes ago, Tel said:

Lexus UK have told me the Apple Up-date is being rolled out to Dealers this month & will be available from November.

Tel

That's interesting, Terry.  I'm booked in for the Android Auto update next week ... perhaps they are rolling out the two integrations (Android and Apple) separately?  Which is a little strange because I presume that the build on new cars includes both integrations?

No I believe the Roll Out has started in the South & will take a few days to be available in the Northern regions

It will be interesting how long it takes for the Dealer to upgrade because now Car Play has Speed Cameras it is a fantastic Nav

I cannot wait

Terry

13 minutes ago, Tel said:

No I believe the Roll Out has started in the South & will take a few days to be available in the Northern regions

It will be interesting how long it takes for the Dealer to upgrade because now Car Play has Speed Cameras it is a fantastic Nav

I cannot wait

Terry

Ah. OK, that makes more sense.

I'm booked in for the installation next Friday - they asked for the car for half a day.

Will report back on Friday afternoon...

Spoke to my dealer (Milton Keynes) this morning and they've booked me in for next Friday (30th). They said they've been told to quote up to three hours, but that's assuming people coming in with early 2019 cars who've never had their entertainment systems updated and need a whole host of sequential patches to be installed. My system was fully updated a couple of weeks ago, and he reckoned that my CarPlay/Android Auto update might be quicker as a result.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Nick