Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drove to Switzerland

Mossypossy

2 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Snow Lexus

IMG_20200926_085505.jpg

And am I right in thinking that by 4am the snow plough had gone through at high speed and the main roads were all clear so that the Post Bus could get through? (I know, you were still asleep and didn't notice.)

(Passing Swiss yokel, attempting Yorkshire accent, says, "Snow? You call this snow? When I were a lad we would have snow up t't roof. Brought cows into't kitchen to keep house warm. T't doors and windows were blocked by snow so we had to climb out of skylight to get hay for the cows. Younger generation wouldn't believe you if you told them." Passing Swiss yokel closes window of his Lamborghini and drives off looking disgusted.)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

About 5 am the ploughs were out.

Then some local kids in their Tesla came to do donuts in the carpark.

IMG_20200926_103043.jpg

Nice to see the post bus got through. Or maybe this one is stuck - can't really tell from the picture.

Drove back yesterday. Another 650 mile straight run.

Car was flawless. After spending the day in the seats I could still walk.

Also nice to have the fantastic headlights in the dark. Thought my eyes were getting too old for night driving with the old Saab.

Motorway driving with a top box gives exactly 30mpg.

I only saw one other GS in the whole month! Plenty of RX's though.

Driving thru the French Jura on country roads I note the hybrid is perfect. Hit the 30mph village limit and the engine turns off. Dawdle thru the village and emit zero pollution for the dear residents.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2020 at 9:25 AM, Mossypossy said:

Drove back yesterday. Another 650 mile straight run.

Car was flawless. After spending the day in the seats I could still walk.

Also nice to have the fantastic headlights in the dark. Thought my eyes were getting too old for night driving with the old Saab.

Motorway driving with a top box gives exactly 30mpg.

I only saw one other GS in the whole month! Plenty of RX's though.

Driving thru the French Jura on country roads I note the hybrid is perfect. Hit the 30mph village limit and the engine turns off. Dawdle thru the village and emit zero pollution for the dear residents.

Excellent thread, thanks! Great photos too. Reminds me of our trip through France, Switzerland and into Italy as far down as Rome. Three up with four large suitcases, squashy bag and a suit carrier in the boot of a 2nd generation IS250 SE-L. Car never missed a beat in over 2k miles and maintained cabin temp in a traffic jam on the Rome circular motorway in 45 degree heat. Those ventilated seats we’re marvellous!

8 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Excellent thread, thanks! Great photos too. Reminds me of our trip through France, Switzerland and into Italy as far down as Rome. Three up with four large suitcases, squashy bag and a suit carrier in the boot of a 2nd generation IS250 SE-L. Car never missed a beat in over 2k miles and maintained cabin temp in a traffic jam on the Rome circular motorway in 45 degree heat. Those ventilated seats we’re marvellous!

I have a pal who is 6 foot one and in 1966 drove to San Sebastian in a 2 door Fiat 500 with his beother as a passenger, car fully loaded with Camping Gear and No air con.

It`s wat we did,den ! 

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

I have a pal who is 6 foot one and in 1966 drove to San Sebastian in a 2 door Fiat 500 with his beother as a passenger, car fully loaded with Camping Gear and No air con.

It`s wat we did,den ! 

Some feat that! 😀

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 12:21 PM, Mossypossy said:

Pah.

I drove from Surrey to Lancashire in a Reliant Robin. Scariest thing I have ever done!

+ a few brave pills I would think 😀

On 11/6/2020 at 12:21 PM, Mossypossy said:

Pah.

I drove from Surrey to Lancashire in a Reliant Robin. Scariest thing I have ever done!

London to Newcastle upon Tyne in an NSU Prinz with a serious oil leak.  But the scariest thing was getting as far as Scotch Corner before realising I still had my slippers on and I was driving up to see a girlfriend!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The-Acre said:

London to Newcastle upon Tyne in an NSU Prinz with a serious oil leak.  But the scariest thing was getting as far as Scotch Corner before realising I still had my slippers on and I was driving up to see a girlfriend!

Not a good look that! 😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Leisurely drive this time, avoiding the toll motorways. No beats missed.

Overnighted in Belgium and dropped through Luxembourg for fuel.

36mpg this time, keeping to 60ish. Only using super go go juice.

Off to the Italian lakes for a few days tomorrow to grab some Nebbiolo 🍷.

Top box does make the car less photogenic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mossypossy said:

Leisurely drive this time, avoiding the toll motorways. No beats missed.

Overnighted in Belgium and dropped through Luxembourg for fuel.

36mpg this time, keeping to 60ish.

Off to the Italian lakes for a few days tomorrow to grab some Nebbiolo 🍷.

Top box does make the car less photogenic.

Thanks Steve. Having recently driven to Andalusia in the old Merc, I was interested in your journey.

I bet my Estate CAN ACCOMMODATE MORE Nebbiolo than can your Roofbox!🤣

Oh my, I'm quite envious of your holidaying by car again, still during covid ......  did you have any apprehensions about it all ?

I'm beginning to remember my trip a few years back thru' France, the Jura and Swissieland, Mont Blanc tunnel thru' to Italy and totally around there and up into the Dolomites, around and back thru' France etc and home ....  4/5 weeks and 4/5000 miles .........  much of that top to toe and back again in Italy

Amazing memories of it all :yes:  ...  quite hard driving but oh wot an adventure !  ( age mid 60's then and the Ls400 never puts a foot wrong really ) 

BRILLIANT

Malc

• Like 2