Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drove to Switzerland

Mossypossy

26 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

650 miles in one day in the gs450h.

Seats were pretty comfortable. Roof box deducts 15% from fuel economy. Only managed 30mpg but mostly on motorways at 80.

Will post some pictures soon to make you all hate me.

That`s awesome Steve.

How many hours driving?

How many pee stops?

How many real refreshment breaks?

I take 4 days to drive to Southern Andalucia in Spain and average 400 miles each day.That is about all I can manage these days.

Lived in/near Munich for some years and used to drive from Munich to Paris across parts of Switzerland on a regular basis. The sceneries were just wonderful and equally beautiful in summer and winter.

• Like 1

I drove to Switzerland a couple ( 3 ? )  of years back on my way thru to Italy for a month's driving around sightseeing

Amazing but not my first time in Swissieland  ....  a buddy used to work there that I visited a few times .....  he's now resident in Singapore ...  too bloody hot for me

I stopped off enroute in France overnight  .........  leisurely driving methinks

Envy you

Malc

18 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Stopped for three toilet breaks. Whole idea was to avoid catching anything in France as we are here for rest of the month.

Set off from near Brighton at 7am and arrived in the Valais at 9:30pm

You`ll be catching the Police, if you are not careful Steve.We Brits are not their favourites.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, Mossypossy said:

Seats were pretty comfortable. Roof box deducts 15% from fuel economy. Only managed 30mpg but mostly on motorways at 80.

Will post some pictures soon to make you all hate me.

Bring chocolate (Sprungli) - Awesome photos BTW

3 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Looks lovely there. We just got back from the Scottish highlands last friday, about 580 miles. Stayed in a bothie (wood cabin in a forest), was lovely.

IMG_0061.jpeg

Oh! Link for that please Mark.

We were originally planning to holiday in France as my dad has a holiday cottage in Brittany, but then the quarantine changes came in about a week before we were due to travel so we had to rebook at the last minute. My wife found the Cairngorm Bothies and they looked lovely so we went for that.

Being in Scotland we assumed it'd be raining all the time but although that was true on the way up (drove through the storm) once we got there the weather was very good, a little bit of rain but only light and we had a few very warm sunny days and even went to the beach.

The bothies themselves are fun to stay in, my little one and dog both loved it. Not good if you need your tea though - the wood-burning stove takes quite a long time to boil a kettle and the electricity is from a solar array so wouldn't have enough juice for an electric kettle. It's such a lovely area though, I want to move there!

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, Mossypossy said:

On 9/9/2020 at 5:27 PM, Mossypossy said:

Set off from near Brighton at 7am and arrived in the Valais at 9:30pm

Set off at 7am in GS450?

Luxury! (as the four Yorkshiremen would say).

When I were a lad, set off from mountain village above Sion at 6am in a Mini. Valais to Calais by 6pm. Six hundred miles in 12 hours. Raced onto the ferry as they were about to raise the ramp and cast off. Central London by 10 or 11pm (I forget which).

While you're in Valais, have you been to the Aletsch glacier? The biggest glacier in Europe, I believe. Though now I think of it the cable cars to 3,000 metres may not be running because of coronavirus social distancing.

1 hour ago, Mossypossy said:

I am also in a mountain village above Sion.

Will be doing the Furka Pass for my glacier fix.

Walked on ice today on my 6 hour hike above the treeline and could see the slightly rubbish Wildhorn Glacier.

Sounds fantastic! I envy you. Small world too! This sounds like the exact spot we went to a good many times. If you're driving to the Furka Pass you'll also drive past Fiesch which is where you would park for the Aletsch glacier. I also remember sitting in the car on the train through the Furka tunnel on one occasion. The tunnel constantly dripped water from the roof and the cars were on open wagons, so it wasn't very pleasant! The pass I'm sure will be much nicer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links