Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'small fan noise' from behind the dashboard

Hi All

Have to admit I'm a bit of a sucker for being precious about dashboard noises but just noticed something recently from behind the clock area. Sounds very much like a slightly noisy fan. Have been in tech IT for 20 years so its a very familiar sound. When I give the dash a tap it changes the noise slightly. Turning the engine off the noise is there for about 10 seconds before 'spinning down' to silence. Something to do with cooling the stereo unit I wonder?

Its pretty minor but I guess it always has potential to get worse!

I did get 3 years of warranty with the car so I wonder if its covered by that?

Cheers

99% it is one of fan bearing giving up. 

I got that problem around a year ago or so. With ML audio and ioniser there are 4 fans there! Check forum history. Most probably it will become more common problem as my car was 2012 model too with high millage.

if you got warranty I would try to ask for a new “radio unit”.

we had something similar on our Rx, was only 1yr old at the time.  Luckily the dealer agreed it was covered under warranty and replaced the media unit.. apparently over £3k to replace .... just for a 50 pence fan!

For us, the noise would start after driving for some time... more quickly when we had the media unit running (screen, radio etc)... exactly the sound of a worn cooling fan.

if it happens again (now out of warranty), I would look to see if possible to fix myself... plenty of instructions around for pulling out the media unit, before having a better look.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, jumbojake said:

we had something similar on our Rx, was only 1yr old at the time.  Luckily the dealer agreed it was covered under warranty and replaced the media unit.. apparently over £3k to replace .... just for a 50 pence fan!

For us, the noise would start after driving for some time... more quickly when we had the media unit running (screen, radio etc)... exactly the sound of a worn cooling fan.

if it happens again (now out of warranty), I would look to see if possible to fix myself... plenty of instructions around for pulling out the media unit, before having a better look.

Those fans are not 50p for sure 🙂 I've replaced 2 out of 4 and they costs me £20. 

You could probably buy cheaper ones as mine were top end PC fans, to be sure they last and operate quietly. 

I assume RX unit will be similar to GS ones so fan replacement should also be doable.

1 hour ago, Hangie said:

Those fans are not 50p for sure 🙂 I've replaced 2 out of 4 and they costs me £20. 

You could probably buy cheaper ones as mine were top end PC fans, to be sure they last and operate quietly. 

I assume RX unit will be similar to GS ones so fan replacement should also be doable.

If you are replacing then for sure you want to put in better fans - quieter design and better bearings. But the stock ones they use are very cheap, especially the price the OEM pays for them in bulk.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links