Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A bit of help with one particular RX450h and a company that is trying to sell it

Would anyone happen to know what is Lexus "Premium Used" vs "Pre-Approved Select"? I've found what comes with Pre-Approved select: warranty, valet, 150-multipoint check. Does Premium Used lack any of these benefits? Some cars on Lexus used pre-owned website have one or another, sometimes they have both options. Trying to get in touch with customer services over the phone is harder than ringing Pope Francis

53568863-10CF-4654-9885-A57EEF7B2F7B.jpeg

8A8055EF-145B-4651-8DAA-17F7AFC6E9C8.jpeg

Reading all these posts reminds me why I ALWAYS buy privately.  I always assume that there there will be no support from anybody after I have bought it.  I was always taught from an early age that it's the car you are buying, not the previous owner.

I have owned in excess of 40 cars in my time and the worst experience of all was......... you've guessed it!............... Main dealer.............. £40k for a Landrover.......... absolute pile of unreliable cr@p!...... sold after 10 months for £30k!

I find that private cars are generally presented in a more honest way and are always cheaper too so you can buy your own warranties if you feel the need (I never do!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SJT said:

Reading all these posts reminds me why I ALWAYS buy privately.  I always assume that there there will be no support from anybody after I have bought it.  I was always taught from an early age that it's the car you are buying, not the previous owner.

I have owned in excess of 40 cars in my time and the worst experience of all was......... you've guessed it!............... Main dealer.............. £40k for a Landrover.......... absolute pile of unreliable cr@p!...... sold after 10 months for £30k!

I find that private cars are generally presented in a more honest way and are always cheaper too so you can buy your own warranties if you feel the need (I never do!)

Steve, If one can find a genuine private seller amongst the legion of crooks masquerading as private sellers in order to avoid consumer protection obligations, you may have a point.

• Like 2

royoftherovers its a fair point but you have to take full responsibility for your decisions and do the relevant checks.  From my earlier post you will see that the biggest crook I have had the pleasure of dealing with was a Main Dealer.

There is so much homework that can be done on a car before viewing these days.  Then of course there is the chat over the phone with the "owner" where you can soon get a feel for the sale.

• Like 1

I must have been lucky, when I bought my Celsior back in 2006 the seller ran a guest house in Blackpool but did grey imports as a side business ( his own car was a Nissan GT-r ).

Good purchase as the car is still going strong 14 years later with just the usual problems sorted ( climate control display, starter motor contacts).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SJT said:

royoftherovers its a fair point but you have to take full responsibility for your decisions and do the relevant checks.  From my earlier post you will see that the biggest crook I have had the pleasure of dealing with was a Main Dealer.

There is so much homework that can be done on a car before viewing these days.  Then of course there is the chat over the phone with the "owner" where you can soon get a feel for the sale.

I don`t disagree Steve.

We shouldn`t tar all with the same brush however. From my experience the best Lexus Dealers are the one which do not form part of the biggest franchises.

Due diligence is an often quoted term which is not used by all buyers and when it is applied it is often dependent upon the veracity of the statements received.

One can only do what is available to do. Facts are capable of being checked and they should be. We can only be available to help those that ask for our help, which we all give willingly and freely.

Which Dealer was it that let you down by the way ?

17 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I must have been lucky, when I bought my Celsior back in 2006 the seller ran a guest house in Blackpool but did grey imports as a side business ( his own car was a Nissan GT-r ).

Good purchase as the car is still going strong 14 years later with just the usual problems sorted ( climate control display, starter motor contacts).

It is embedded in my psyche, I think Steve, that "Northern crooks" are better than "Southern crooks !"

5 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

So that’s the bit I’ve found as well, which explains what Lexus Select: Approved Pre-Owned is, but some cars on usedcars.Lexus.co.uk don’t have “Lexus Select”, but have “Premium Used”, like in the picture I’ve attached above, and I’m just thinking, seeing how not every dealer works in the same way, does Lexus Select mean what it means on website, and Premium Used is just used car without any warranty, 150-point inspection etc but still sold via Lexus Dealership? Like I said some cars have either “Lexus Select” or “Premium Used” next to them, but some of them have both tags, hence why I’m wondering if there’s any difference. I’ve sent an email to general customer services to find out if there’s any difference, or if it’s some sort of grading of the vehicle etc. 

9 minutes ago, BartLexusFan said:

So that’s the bit I’ve found as well, which explains what Lexus Select: Approved Pre-Owned is, but some cars on usedcars.Lexus.co.uk don’t have “Lexus Select”, but have “Premium Used”, like in the picture I’ve attached above, and I’m just thinking, seeing how not every dealer works in the same way, does Lexus Select mean what it means on website, and Premium Used is just used car without any warranty, 150-point inspection etc but still sold via Lexus Dealership? Like I said some cars have either “Lexus Select” or “Premium Used” next to them, but some of them have both tags, hence why I’m wondering if there’s any difference. I’ve sent an email to general customer services to find out if there’s any difference, or if it’s some sort of grading of the vehicle etc. 

Stop worrying Bart--just ask them and write down what they tell you.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Stop worrying Bart--just ask them and write down what they tell you.

I’m calm like moneycalm bull (I hate this ad...), was just curious if anyone knew, still awaiting for reply. Paperwork for Cardiff RX450h came through yesterday, so it might be that model after all. 

59 minutes ago, BartLexusFan said:

I’m calm like moneycalm bull (I hate this ad...), was just curious if anyone knew, still awaiting for reply. Paperwork for Cardiff RX450h came through yesterday, so it might be that model after all. 

Yes I was really interested in that one. Good luck as you beat me to it!

Let us know how you get on please.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:29 PM, steve2006 said:

I purchased mine from a family whose father had passed away and it was his car. They had all the paperwork laid out on a table including the fathers death certificate and she has done me proud having only ever let me down once in 12 years, Oxygen sensor. Apart from general servicing and an LPG conversion she hasn't cost me anymore. Timing belt being done in just over a week. 176000 miles and she still drives and looks like she has not been out of the showroom more than a few weeks.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why DVDs show blue screen? Audio plays just fine, but there's no video. Tried two different DVDs, both purchased in UK. 

Looked up page 202 in the Navigation system manual, but all it explains is how to operate the DVD player, what each button does etc. Car is in Parking mode. 

4E5BEDFB-9900-45E1-9D9E-4FD51119C873.jpeg

Still no joy, but I’ll work it out somehow. 

I’d like to thank YOU guys for all the help and support in this thread, especially (but not limited to) 

Royoftherovers (John), Spacewagon52 (David), Herbie, Colin Barber, PCM for all the help and support with the purchase of RX450h

In the end I got the Cardiff model (sorry David :(). There were some hiccups during the whole purchase experience (plus that was the very first time I’ve paid for a car before I even saw it in person, but it was totally worth it), and the staff redeemed themselves when we came down, so in the end I would recommend Lexus Cardiff.

Guys were really supportive and helpful bunch, it didn’t feel that “salesy” and all was explained in easy to understand manner. Got the GAP with the car as well, just for the piece of mind. I am thinking about getting the service plan as well, not sure yet if I want to or not, I definitely will go with Lexus Warranty when this runs out, and will keep purchasing as long as possible. Car feels and looks new to me, it’s a totally different experience to driving a GS. In fact, we came down to Cardiff in 2018 Peugeot 2018, and even that Pugani felt small and more agile/nimble than the RX yacht, but it’s growing on me on a daily basis. One of the rear bulbs went while I was driving, but I learned to live and breathe with the manual because of RoyoftheRovers (John), so a quick look on page 521 and it got done and dusted. It’s an amazing car to drive, but feels like driving an LS, I’m still learning to “feel it”. The turning angle is abysmal, but other than that love the audio system (12 speakers). In fact, when I tested ML in pre-facelift RX450h, and now in post-lift Luxury, I can’t really tell the difference. ML did add like another dimension to the tunes, but I’m listening from Spotify so it ain’t top range quality audio source. Turns out I’m a second owner as well, first owner did everything in Lexus Cardiff, and that ranges from wheels to suspension ball joints, to even simple things like wipers. It has this amazing IKEA/Furniture store smell inside, and I love it. It has covered 80.000 miles, which equals approx 10000 a year, so standard in my opinion. Interior isn’t immaculate, but I would rate it’s condition 8.5/10 (0.5 for one mark on steering wheel and right-centre vent, and 1 point for the seats). It doesn’t have the acceleration-experience of GS450h (I believe it’s the same detuned 2GR-FSE?) but the MPG is lovely (so far), I will try and squeeze as many miles as possible out of it. Love the interior lights, the power tailgate, the audio quality, the position behind the wheel, and THE SEATS OMG. The steering does require some muscle vs GS, but I guess 2.2 tonnes and 19’’ wheels, vs 17 on GS are the reason behind this. Overall really happy with the purchase, need to work out that DVD, make a decision about service plan, come up with some idea to what I’m going to do to prevent groceries from riding from left to right in there boot (I never owned anything other than a saloon), order floor rubber mats from LExus on eBay, as currently only have colour matching carpets which will look horribly in a week, and just enjoy the drive, 🙂

P.S. I did have a face mask, but took it off for pics

A278F264-0814-4A88-8B39-27BBE3FFF792.jpeg

8034E240-7BBF-49B8-83FF-2A44DAF3308B.jpeg

706AE311-F0A0-4FD7-BC3A-61889C0FF46B.jpeg

5AEA85B9-67A2-4DAE-809D-F56674D1E9D3.jpeg

1DEBB8FF-59C6-4270-A9BB-50F188A788E8.jpeg

671725F5-0F5D-48AC-BED2-82577A1C16A5.jpeg

6F0D2C5C-9EAB-4E0C-8C27-18730440C7A5.jpeg

39F2D0D2-093F-46F7-835A-ADB9533BCB10.jpeg

• Like 1

That was a really enjoyable read Bart and so full of enthusiasm. Many thanks.

I see you bought one of those new Lexus matching T shirt and underpant sets !

A good rating for Cardiff (Motorline) and you are awarded a further 100 points for more Handbook enthusiasm !

Enjoy.

• Like 2

Cracking Bart, I still hold a grudge though!

I opted for an older / cheaper 400h - and I am very pleased o far, but it is early days. Still wondering if I should have waited for another 450h to come along????????

No no no! Stop it David!!!! (My wife’svoiceagain!)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BartLexusFan said:

And thank You to Barry14UK as well! Looks like I can’t edit my post once someone replies. Has anyone opted for servicing plan for their RX? 

Why on Earth, would one not Bart ?

You have made a wise purchase, a significant investment and you will want a Hybrid Battery check annually.

You know it makes sense amigo !