Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High pressure fuel pump making noise on 2AR-FSE engine

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone of IS300H owners experienced a high-pitched noise comming from high pressure fuel pump on their cars?

The question is what causes that whistle in some particular range of rpms and how serious that is?

Car's got 103k on the clock, used all types of fuel from supermarket to Shell V-Power.

Any ideas how long it's got to live?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

This topic has come up before.  Sounds very like the turbo whine on a diesel car. The consensus was this it is the motors.  On my car (300H) I can only hear the whine when the driver window is lowered and there are hedges on both sides of the road reflecting the sound. Cannot hear anything in the car with windows closed.  It is possible of course that your noise is due to something else and I'm sure the experts on the forum will have an answer.

This topic has come up before.  Sounds very like the turbo whine on a diesel car. The consensus was this it is the motors.  On my car (300H) I can only hear the whine when the driver window is lowered and there are hedges on both sides of the road reflecting the sound. Cannot hear anything in the car with windows closed.  It is possible of course that your noise is due to something else and I'm sure the experts on the forum will have an answer.

Thanks for the answers and sorry if this was mentioned before. TBH it was both. The reason I first thought to be HPFP was that I used mechanic's stethoscope to rule out any abnormal noises when the engine was running in maintenance mode. I asked my missus to keep revs at about 2000 rpm and I could clearly hear the high pitch sound comming from the pump. Bought a second hand low mileage part and replaced it with all new o rings and rubber seals. To my wonder the noise from HPFP dissapeared, but the one from electric motors is still present and appears to happen exactly the same way as BigChange explained.

Watched more videos on youtube with is300h or gs300h hard acceleration and heard exactly the same sound (earphones on) as it comes from my car.

As for HPFP noise, found some info on american subaru and toyota forums it can be happening due to ethanol being used in the mix with petrol. Normally it goes away, if you start using higher octane petrol without ethanol mixture. But this needs to be confirmed.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I remember I had this one noise coming from the the hp fuel pump (on top of engine cover) but that was more like a high pitched chirping noise, either it fixed itself after around a month of being present or it helped that I used about more of premium fuel than usually. I did post about this on forums. Regards the other noise that's heard like a light whistling under moderate acceleration in first couple of seconds when pressing pedal (diesel turbo like sound) I believe that's something to do with the gearbox/electric motors or maybe even airflow somewhere on the intake side. Haven't located it and I'm just fine living with it, not that noticeable as said above only when windows down and silence in the cabin. 

Edit: 

As the comment above about American forums, seems to be right then, the fuel pump noise will disappear when using higher octane fuel, most likely how I got rid of mine. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links