Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High mileage IS300h advice

Hi

I've always wanted a Lexus as my biggest priorities are comfort/quiet and reliability. I do lots of motorway miles and also lots of miles in London, about 16000+ miles per year.

I am looking at auto trader and there are some is300h which I could just about stretch my budget to. I can see a 2013 SE which has done 132000 miles for just under £8000, which seams like a steal for the amount of car for the money. I will be putting a lot more miles on that car though and I'll be expecting to keep it for at least another 4 years or so. By the time I'm done it will be knocking on the door of 200,000 miles. From what I hear about Lexus and hybrid cars though that might not be a problem? 

Should I shell out another £2000 to get a similar car that's done 80-100,000 miles?

Thanks in advance

The best advice I can give is get the best you can for your money.

Saying that mine is sat at 165,000 miles and you would never know.

I do about 40k a year and so will be at 200k before long, in the 2 1/2 year I have had mine I have had no major issues. Mine is serviced every 12,000 miles and most of the time there are no added extras.

SE spec has the 16” wheels which I think give a more comfortable ride and also cheaper tyres £50-£70 per corner for quality tyres, the other bonus is zero road tax.

The only things I have done outside of servicing is gearbox oil changes every 60k, normally when I do the diff oil as well, I clean out the egr cooler every 50k and replace the antifreeze at 100k.

On a run I can still get 55mpg (real world) and around town it’s early 40’s. The car is supremely comfortable, quiet and most of my passengers love travelling in it

8k is a bargain, look for service history, make sure the car is physically straight and looked after. Little things like matching quality tyres will always be a good indicator.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I’ve just seen the car you are looking at on autotrader.
It has premium nav installed (mouse controller) and pretty much full dealer history, the only thing I could see by the pictures is the rear discs look a little ragged, but I bet they are original and a few quid would have that sorted

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I bought a 4 year old Executive with 160K on the clock - 1 company owner, very clean and tidy with full history - it was the cheapest IS I could find so took a chance - its now on 186K with nothing outside of servicing,  set of tyres and new brake discs / pads.  It really is a fantastically built car that would easily pass for a much lower mileage.

I really fancy changing it for a full EV, but its been so faultless, and with the mileage it has more value to me than anyone else so I cant see me getting rid of it anytime soon.

Regularly see 50mpg average even with my better half driving who is a little heavy footed - really not sure what else you can buy if you don't want  diesel