Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

peace and quiet

I read on the RAC review page that the NX is not quite refined and suffers road and wind noise. They also mentions feeling road bumps at low speeds. I did a test drive around town at 30mph an agree that I felt the bumps a lot more than I expected.

My reference point is how well the VW Golf handles London bumpy roads (maybe I expected worse and was suprised??), the Mazda CX-5 was too jarring. Mini Cooper S unbearable.

we had an NX as a loan car for a week ... and agree, despite all the toys and quality interior, it didn't feel like a Lexus to drive, it was ok, but a bit harsh ... I wonder how the ride compares to the Rav4 ?

• Like 1

When I test drove the NX, it was a base model and I wanted an F-Sport. The base model was lacking in things like the sunroof, AVS and triple headlights, and I'm so glad I wasn't put off by that car. I needn't have worried as I love the F Sport, it's a superior interior (black/black) and the pan roof (option) transforms it.

Is AVS available as an option on the Luxury but included on the Premier and the F Sport? (I thinking MY 2017 onwards as I'd be buying used)

Why is a system like AVS necessary, couldn't Lexus put a decent suspension on the NX without the potential complications of a system that I hadn't heard of prior to reading this thread. Treat me gently with your replies because I know nothing about the mechanics of cars!

PS what system is used on the RX (2016 onwards) as RX owners on here say there's a world of difference in the ride between an NX and an RX?

When I drove my NX for the first time from the Handover Bay I believed the Tyre psi was set too low !

AVS is that good even on Bridgestone Tyres that are less refined than Michelin 

AVS was vastly improved in late October 2018 when the measurements per second were trebled.

Tel

• Thanks 1

I found this article on the internet today, dated May 2017. Can anyone confirm the date these improvements, particularly the AVS improvement, became available i.e. first registration date of such NXs. Also anyone who has one, do they they think there is a big improvement to the suspension? Thanks.

Lexus has revealed the new 2018 NX crossover model year and there are four key things that shoppers should know. 

Lexus NX Model Name Changes
Before we begin with the four improvements that Lexus has made, we need to first explain that Lexus has changed the vehicle's name slightly. The 2018 Lexus NX will now be called the NX 300 instead of the NX 200t. The engine is unchanged and this now renders Lexus' model nomenclature completely nonsensical. Lexus already has "300" suffixes attached to V6 versions of other vehicles, so it seems to be moving away from the numbers meaning anything useful. The NX 300h hybrid model name remains the same.

New Standard Safety On Lexus NX
Unlike past model years, the 2018 Lexus NX line will feature standard active safety. Every trim will come with the Lexus Safety System +. This system, integrates active safety technologies, including Lexus' Pre-Collision System (PCS), Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) and Automatic High Beam (AHB).

Lager Infotainment Screen
The biggest interior improvement to the new 2018 Lexus NX line is a larger screen. The new screen is 10.3 inches in diameter, as opposed to the outgoing 2017 model year's seven-inch screen. Bigger is better when it comes to infotainment screens and this alone is worth waiting a few weeks for.

Big Changes To Lexus NX Suspension and Handling
Lexus has added a new Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS). The technology is based on the system found in the LC 500 ultra-luxury sports coupe. The new system can make up to 650 instantaneous compression and damping adjustments (up from 30) for better control and superior overall handling stability.

New Lexus NX Style
Lexus has changed the front and rear facia of the NX line. We won't try to sell you on the new look, but rather we will let Shin Kamiura from the Lexus Design Division do so. He says: “Starting at the spindle grille, the way the front edges connect to the front fenders results in a much bolder expression than before, clearly highlighting the NX’s style design architecture. We’ve also changed the shape of the lower front bumper to better support the spindle grille, as well as relocated the fog lamps to the corner of the front bumpers, separating them from the ducts. The result is a front fascia with a stronger and more aggressive presence.”

Given these changes, it is easy to argue that shoppers should wait for the new 2018 about to arrive.

This is disappointing!

I narrowed down my search based on price, reliability and a quiet drive - hence the NX300h.  I have now learnt about a new terminology AVS!

But it seems like I to up my budget for a high milleage 2015 model at £16k to a 2018 model at £25k to get what I need all because of AVS!!! 

Back to square 1 for an alternative car.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jay2k said:

This is disappointing!

I narrowed down my search based on price, reliability and a quiet drive - hence the NX300h.  I have now learnt about a new terminology AVS!

But it seems like I to up my budget for a high milleage 2015 model at £16k to a 2018 model at £25k to get what I need all because of AVS!!! 

Sorry to disappoint you Je but maybe best to wait a little longer until 2018 models are at a lower price.

Expecting some more comments from existing NX owners (hopefully)

3 hours ago, Jay2k said:

This is disappointing!

Read this thread on this forum. Maybe Michelin Cross Climate tyres will improve the ride sufficiently. Michelin Cross Climates are very popular and have been recommended many times.

• Thanks 1

Find your F-Sport that you can afford & negotiate Michelin Tyres @ c.£500 fitted.

Many Forum Members across all models in the range have changed O/E Tyres & report significant benefits.

Tel

• Like 1