Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Extended Warranty

Bl1ng

I have an RX 450h that is just over 10 years old (registered Jan 2010). It is currently under a Lexus Warranty but I have been told I cannot extend the warranty as the car is over 10 years od.

I thought that as long as the car was under an existing warranty it could be extended even if over 10 years old. Only yo could not put a new warranty on a car over 10 years old.

What has people's experience been ?

1 hour ago, Bl1ng said:

I have an RX 450h that is just over 10 years old (registered Jan 2010). It is currently under a Lexus Warranty but I have been told I cannot extend the warranty as the car is over 10 years od.

I thought that as long as the car was under an existing warranty it could be extended even if over 10 years old. Only yo could not put a new warranty on a car over 10 years old.

If your current Extended Warranty says this, then (f) says you can as I read it. !

"Eligible vehicle ---A Lexus vehicle which - (a) has been branded and sold by Our Holding Company, Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA in Europe as a Category M1 Lexus passenger motor vehicle; (b) not have been modified structurally, mechanically or electronically otherwise than with the permission of Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA or save for the purpose of enabling it to be lawfully re-registered in the United Kingdom; (c) have standard Lexus wheels and normal road tyres fitted to it; (d) possess or be capable of possessing a European Certificate of Conformity; (e) was purchased through the Lexus Approved Used Car Programme with the benefit of a Lexus Extended Warranty; or (f) is less than 10 years old and has less than 140,000 miles on its milometer at the start of the first Warranty"

I haven't looked at the actual Ts & Cs but I was under the impression that you could successfully apply for a two-year warranty at, say, 9 years, 11 months and 25 days because it was then still under 10 years old, but even just one day over that 10 year mark it becomes ineligible. However, John seems to have come up trumps with clause (f) above.

Just now, Herbie said:

I haven't looked at the actual Ts & Cs but I was under the impression that you could successfully apply for a two-year warranty at, say, 9 years, 11 months and 25 days because it was then still under 10 years old, but even just one day over that 10 year mark it becomes ineligible.

I know what you are saying Herbie, but what do you (as the man in the street) understand by reading (e) in the extract I put above ?

42 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Yes, I agree John. He should be able to do it.

I have seen different Lexus dealers either accept a car or not depending on what side of bed the person got out of in the morning.

Suggest you contact another Lexus dealer and ask the same question.......or word it slightly differently.  Ie  Say I currently have a Lexus on an extended warranty and want to add another two years to it...you happy for me to do that.  My reading, and understanding, is that as long as you extended the warranty before the car is over ten years old it should be fine.  This would be the FIRST extended warranty.....as the warranty expects all work to have been done at a Toyota/Lexus dealer/garage so they know what state the car is in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bl1ng said:

I contacted the warranty provider. They are the ones who said it is not eligible.

They said that is why they did not send out a renewal notice

Can`t you ask them what the wording I referred to means if it does not mean what it says? ?

9 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Can`t you ask them what the wording I referred to means if it does not mean what it says? ?

I sent them an email yesterday evening asking them exactly that. I will post on here any response I receive.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Here is their response:

"The extended warranty cover is available for all UK registered Lexus vehicles up to 10 years old with less than 140,000 miles at the point of sale. 

Unfortunately your vehicle is over 10 years old and therefore is not eligible for this product as the point of sale would deem the vehicle age to be over the allowance."

3 minutes ago, Bl1ng said:

Here is their response:

"The extended warranty cover is available for all UK registered Lexus vehicles up to 10 years old with less than 140,000 miles at the point of sale. 

Unfortunately your vehicle is over 10 years old and therefore is not eligible for this product as the point of sale would deem the vehicle age to be over the allowance."

Presumably, your vehicle was under 10 years old and had less than 140,000 miles at the point of sale to you.

You have taken out and wish to extend the Extended Warranty in accordance with its terms under (f) which appears to allow you to do so.

Suggest to them that they have not asked the question you put to them.

What exactly does (f) mean if it does not mean what it says?

Good luck and contact Lexus Customer Service UK,if necessary and ask them the same question.

Sorry if I have missed the point - doing it a lot lately - if I bought a Lexus from an independent dealer (not franchise) but it had a full Lexus service history, under 10 years old and under 140,000 miles - could I get a two year extended warranty provided I had it serviced at Lexus?

20 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Sorry if I have missed the point - doing it a lot lately - if I bought a Lexus from an independent dealer (not franchise) but it had a full Lexus service history, under 10 years old and under 140,000 miles - could I get a two year extended warranty provided I had it serviced at Lexus?

Yes, David.Lexus might wish to give a cursory inspection first.

19 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Thanks John, but after reading about Cheltenham I would expect to hear a deep intake of breath from the stealer- sorry dealer!

Cheltenham have not received many,if any, bouquets in recent months.

Your Lexus people fall under the Motorline Group who themselves have not won accolades from Members.

If you don`t ask, you don`t get.

And if you don`t ask or get, then put say, £x away each month,if you can to meet some of the costs that might arise.

A service plan would be beneficial to you however. Fixed monthly cost and interest free/

22 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Cheltenham have not received many,if any, bouquets in recent months.

Your Lexus people fall under the Motorline Group who themselves have not won accolades from Members.

If you don`t ask, you don`t get.

And if you don`t ask or get, then put say, £x away each month,if you can to meet some of the costs that might arise.

A service plan would be beneficial to you however. Fixed monthly cost and interest free/

Thank you John, that makes sense.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, Bl1ng said:

For what it's worth on 30 July 2018 I purchased an RX400h (first registered 30-11-2007 ) from a Lexus dealer with 130,880 miles so it came with 1 year Lexus extended warranty. At the time of collection I saw the advertisement card on the salesman's desk offering 2 for 1 warranty ie 2 years extended warranty for £995. I asked if I could purchase this and the answer was yes, so I did. Lexus warranty until 01-08-2021😊

Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, Djwbiker said:

For what it's worth on 30 July 2018 I purchased an RX400h (first registered 30-11-2007 ) from a Lexus dealer with 130,880 miles so it came with 1 year Lexus extended warranty. At the time of collection I saw the advertisement card on the salesman's desk offering 2 for 1 warranty ie 2 years extended warranty for £995. I asked if I could purchase this and the answer was yes, so I did. Lexus warranty until 01-08-2021😊

Hope this helps.

That`s interesting David and on the face of it would appear to agree with my point in the second post of this thread.

The acid test......have you made a claim on the Extended Warranty which expires in 08/21 ?

yes John, on the first service I had in July 19, the rear anti roll bar was replaced (service administrator said they replace whole unit as it is quicker and easier than replacing bushes/links!!) and a rear caliper both items claimed under the extended warranty. Nothing claimed during the last service in July this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Djwbiker said:

yes John, on the first service I had in July 19, the rear anti roll bar was replaced (service administrator said they replace whole unit as it is quicker and easier than replacing bushes/links!!) and a rear caliper both items claimed under the extended warranty. Nothing claimed during the last service in July this year.

I hope that Bling reads this !!

• Like 1

Thank you guys for all your contributions regarding Lexus warranties and purchasing options. 

I have taken the plunge and bought another Lexus. I will post an update on the purchase and my thinking regarding the warranty / servicing debate and an honest review of my purchase. Will be posting this in the appropriate forum.

Once again this club has been a mine of information and advice - thank you!