royoftherovers

Is an unpainted metal surface handy on your car ?

This paragraph has been taken from an Owners Handbook

●After exiting the vehicle and before opening the fuel door, touch an unpainted metal surface to discharge any static electricity. It is important to discharge static electricity before refueling because sparks resulting from static electricity can cause fuel vapors to ignite while refueling.
  • Like 1

Fabric seats play havoc with me and always 'charge me up' as I get out of the car, which is one reason why I always go for leather seats.

However, in the context of your question, no, you don't need an unpainted surface. As I get out of the car and just touch the door to shut it, I always yet out a yelp as the darn static zaps me, so any charge has dissipated well before I reach the fuel flap.

So, in my experience, touching any metal surface, painted or unpainted, will discharge the static just fine.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Fabric seats play havoc with me and always 'charge me up' as I get out of the car, which is one reason why I always go for leather seats.

However, in the context of your question, no, you don't need an unpainted surface. As I get out of the car and just touch the door to shut it, I always yet out a yelp as the darn static zaps me, so any charge has dissipated well before I reach the fuel flap.

So, in my experience, touching any metal surface, painted or unpainted, will discharge the static just fine.

Interesting Herbie, as the text is from a Toyota Yaris Handbook.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I believe you herbie since you here to tell the tale lol

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

I believe you herbie since you here to tell the tale lol

He fooled you then Mark, Herbie is but an apparition !!

• Haha 1

This sounds like the legal department overruled the marketing department and bypassed the salesdepartment whilst side lining the after sales department.

Lawyers talk.  IF the unthinkable happens in the states toyota will have to fork out 100 million or so..... 

• Like 2