Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best All season tyres

37 minutes ago, PCM said:

I like Michelin tyres...

Also ...

etc.

Hi PCM

Thanks for your reply.

I was looking at going with Goodyear Vector4 all seasons but they only do them in 225 45 17 for front but not 245 45 17 at the rear.

I have considered the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons on front and Michelin cross climate on rear. But not 100% sure as i prefer same brand all round.

In which case i may go with the michelin cross climate all round.

Just wanted to get some opinions before i decide.

Thanks again

I would suggest same all around.

My Cross Climates have felt safe, comfy and quiet.

Their reviews are positive too.

Just wish it would snow this year!

5 minutes ago, PCM said:

I would suggest same all around.

My Cross Climates have felt safe, comfy and quiet.

Their reviews are positive too.

Just wish it would snow this year!

What model do you have?

The first year of owning my 220d i got stuck in snow. After which i put winters on in winter. They served me well never got stuck. But hassle of storing and changing too much now. So looking for all seasons just wanted reassurance that all seasons can handle the snow.

But yes i am most likely going with michelin cross climate.

28 minutes ago, kullyb said:

What model do you have?

The first year of owning my 220d i got stuck in snow. After which i put winters on in winter. They served me well never got stuck. But hassle of storing and changing too much now. So looking for all seasons just wanted reassurance that all seasons can handle the snow.

But yes i am most likely going with michelin cross climate.

Have a read   https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyre-test-2019-top-all-weather-tyres-tested

After seeing others rave about how the Michelins transformed their car in comparison to the Goodyear 4seasons (which I currently have) I was tempted to try them, but i'm still a little skeptical that perhaps the main difference is new tyres vs worn out tyres rather than the difference between the brands.

9 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

After seeing others rave about how the Michelins transformed their car in comparison to the Goodyear 4seasons (which I currently have) I was tempted to try them, but i'm still a little skeptical that perhaps the main difference is new tyres vs worn out tyres rather than the difference between the brands.

I will most likely go michelin as goodyear don't do rears on mine in Vector4 seasons

I think that Mark is right.There seems little difference between each of the "high end" All Seasons and between each of the "medium end" All Season, tyres.

I have yet to read a published readers criticism of any All Season tyre which an owner has purchased. 

As he alludes"when your tyres need replacing, replace them soonest."

8 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I think that Mark is right.There seems little difference between each of the "high end" All Seasons and between each of the "medium end" All Season, tyres.

I have yet to read a published readers criticism of any All Season tyre which an owner has purchased. 

As he alludes"when your tyres need replacing, replace them soonest."

Hi Roy

Thanks for your reply. 

My winter tyres were budget tyres Triangle i think and even as a budget tyre they were excellent in snow.

I am decided now definitely going with Michelin

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kullyb said:

Hi Roy

Thanks for your reply. 

My winter tyres were budget tyres Triangle i think and even as a budget tyre they were excellent in snow.

I am decided now definitely going with Michelin

Thanks Kully. Michelin Cross Climates are high end tyres.

I have Kumho Solus A31 All Season, a medium end tyre @ approx £85 each.

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted CrossClimates to our 4wd Suzuki SX4 and was most impressed with their performance.  So I decided they were ideal for the Lexus IS250 as well.  Unfortunately my Lexus requires two different tyre sizes, of which Michelin only make one. 

Fortunately, Goodyear had recently launched their Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 which performed on a par with the CrossClimates, and better in some aspects, in both sizes.  I fitted them and it has proved to be an excellent choice.

Can’t really compare the two vehicles, but the Goodyears are far superior to the standard rubber that came with the car, not only in dry and wet weather grip, but also in the level of road noise they generate.

I would certainly recommend them.  

Incidentally, I would never have a mix of tyre brands or types.  Having wheels that could be affected by variations in compound mix and tread patterns is surely just asking for trouble.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LenT said:

I fitted CrossClimates to our 4wd Suzuki SX4 and was most impressed with their performance.  So I decided they were ideal for the Lexus IS250 as well.  Unfortunately my Lexus requires two different tyre sizes, of which Michelin only make one. 

Fortunately, Goodyear had recently launched their Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 which performed on a par with the CrossClimates, and better in some aspects, in both sizes.  I fitted them and it has proved to be an excellent choice.

Can’t really compare the two vehicles, but the Goodyears are far superior to the standard rubber that came with the car, not only in dry and wet weather grip, but also in the level of road noise they generate.

I would certainly recommend them.  

Incidentally, I would never have a mix of tyre brands or types.  Having wheels that could be affected by variations in compound mix and tread patterns is surely just asking for trouble.

Thanks for your reply. I have gone with Michelin cross climates on front. My rear are virtually new budget all season but will change those when needed as can't really afford to change rears too. Goodyear do not do rear size 245 45 17 in vector 4 seasons otherwise would have had those on my front now instead of Michelin.

As a matter of interest do 'all season' tyres do as many miles as 'normal' tyres? 🤔

Like Piers, I can understand the logic and of course I also realise that it will very much depend upon how the car is driven as to how quickly the tread wears, but are 'all season' tyres really necessary in the UK especially if they don't last as long?

Mind you, that said I'm a southerner and nowadays see snow once in a blue blizzard compared to others up t'north so perhaps there's a regional case to be taken into account.

So I'm interested ... has anyone run 'all season' tyres long enough to experience their longevity?

• Like 2

I have all season tyres on all my cars & I suspect they don't last as long as summer tyres. However I don't care as I reckon they're of benefit not just in snow but whenever the temperature is less than 5C & especially on frosty nights with ice patches on the roads. 

7 minutes ago, GS300h2014 said:

I have all season tyres on all my cars & I suspect they don't last as long as summer tyres. However I don't care as I reckon they're of benefit not just in snow but whenever the temperature is less than 5C & especially on frosty nights with ice patches on the roads. 

This is my point exactly. Having a rear wheel drive Lexus it is not very safe on icy or snowy roads, in my first year of owning really came stuck in the snow. So after that i used to swap to winters and then summers. But recently fed up taking seasonal tyres to local garage as well as storing them. Now with all season tyres. Will see how they fare with the forthcoming winter.

I bought a pair of snow socks for my previous car which, in fairness, was front wheel drive ... the trouble was, in 5 years they never got used! 🙄

But maybe I should look into a pair for the Lexus ... might they be as effective as an 'all season' tyre when added to 'normal' tyres in snow? 🧐

Maybe that would negate the necessity for 'all season' tyres ... for me anyway being 'down south'.  I wonder. 🤔

I read about the socks but read they are only for use for very short journeys not ideal for constant use. A case of stopping to take off after passing areas of snow

5 minutes ago, kullyb said:

I read about the socks but read they are only for use for very short journeys not ideal for constant use. A case of stopping to take off after passing areas of snow

This is true, because I believe they're designed just to get you out of trouble so maybe not a good comparison with regular use.

But then how often does one get into such trouble where more grip is required? I guess that's my point.

• Like 1

I think the main reason for winter or all season tyres in the uk is grip at low temperatures.. I;ve got winter tyres for my IS ... and they do make a difference.... just a pain to swap and store wheels..... cross climate seems to be the way to go as what I have seen of test results, their summer wet grip is also really good.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links