Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good or Bad......Discuss!

There is a SE-L on AT right now ( no link added as it won’t be there for ever!) that is up for top dollar money because it as only got 17,300 miles on for a ‘57 plate, So as the title says is this good or possibly not so good for a 13/14 year old top quality motor? ( can’t check details as no reg visible)

paul m.

Note: weirdly it Has got Moonroof but no multimedia package!

9 minutes ago, Texas said:

There is a SE-L on AT right now ( no link added as it won’t be there for ever!) that is up for top dollar money because it as only got 17,300 miles on for a ‘57 plate, So as the title says is this good or possibly not so good for a 13/14 year old top quality motor? ( can’t check details as no reg visible)

Not good in my opinion. That averages out to a maximum of about 1330 miles/year, so it's not been driven much, very likely has spent long periods sat undriven. If there's evidence it has been stored well with fluids drained etc then maybe, but I would much prefer loads of miles to very few.

• Like 1

Ring them in the morning for the reg. So long as it's done 1k+ miles each year I'd say you're good to go.

For that money I'd certainly want a Lexus dealer stamp every year but there's no mention of what would be a good selling point. It's knocking on main dealer price and they insist on such things plus include a year's comprehensive warranty. But it looks mint and if it's as good as it looks I'd consider it a "new" car and have no problem buying it.

Ok...so if I drive like Miss Daisy I can get excess of 40 ( indicated) MPG so Avg of 1330 per year then that could amount to less than 3-4 tanks of fuel! So I’m with you on ‘Not good’ so far as petrol goes stale and turns nasty in the process ( sticky, slimy & Staines like a varnish)

1 minute ago, rich1068 said:

Ring them in the morning for the reg. So long as it's done 1k+ miles each year I'd say you're good to go.

For that money I'd certainly want a Lexus dealer stamp every year but there's no mention of what would be a good selling point. It's knocking on main dealer price and they insist on such things plus include a year's comprehensive warranty. But it looks mint and if it's as good as it looks I'd consider it a "new" car and have no problem buying it.

I won’t be phoning them as I am not actually in the market for a 250 as I already have a peachy one ( ISF then you’re talking!) but wanted a discussion on the pro/con points.

10 minutes ago, Texas said:

Ok...so if I drive like Miss Daisy I can get excess of 40 ( indicated) MPG so Avg of 1330 per year then that could amount to less than 3-4 tanks of fuel! So I’m with you on ‘Not good’ so far as petrol goes stale and turns nasty in the process ( sticky, slimy & Staines like a varnish)

This, and also if they were following the normal service schedule (which in my opinion is written for ideal operating conditions, ie a healthy chunk of miles) then it's probably only been serviced once a year. The oil will have had moisture seeping into it through condensation, if it wasn't run up to temperature for an extended period there will have been no chance for it to boil it off and so the oil will have been getting sludged up. If the car was sat in one position for a long time that's bad for the suspension. It's just not good for a car to not be driven.

Also at that mileage it could ( if not succumbed to the infamous " front tyres worn on inside edge" advisory- can't check mot history at present) still be wearing the oem rubbers! And now at 13+ years old they could be past their best to say the least. I recall that they were thinking about giving tyres a 'lifespan' until a MOT failure point, say 7 years from manufacture date, not sure if it actually came to fruition.

22 hours ago, Texas said:

paul m.

Note: weirdly it Has got Moonroof but no multimedia package!

I bought mine a couple of years ago after my 2007 one was written off. I bought a 2006 model which had almost 25k on the clock and was immaculate. Had a good look round it having had one before i knew what to look for and could not fault it. The only issue i have with it now, 2 years on is the rear screen elements seem to have "dried up" and are breaking and one stone chip on the front of the bonnet. Not bad it thats all that's wrong with it at almost 15 years old. Mine also has the moonroof (prefer that to the air con) but does not have the multimedia package (what's included in that anyway?)

MM includes ( I might have missed summat!)

DVD playback ( when Park Brake is On)

Maintenance information & Dealer info

Calendar with Memos

Hands Free Phone connectivity 

Voice command for interior equipment 

Air ConControls

Rear View Camera Display

Oh and SatNav!

5 hours ago, Texas said:

Calendar with Memos

Air ConControls

Rear View Camera Display

Oh and SatNav!

And the Mark Levinson Sound System on pre 2011 facelift cars

2 hours ago, F.A. said:

And the Mark Levinson Sound System on pre 2011 facelift cars

8 hours ago, Texas said:

Calendar with Memos

Air ConControls

Rear View Camera Display

Oh and SatNav!

I have all of these "bits" and have done on the current and previous IS i had - both have been SE-L models tho. I have seen cars advertised as SE-L Multimedia editions, is it right to give them that title? Does it state that anywhere in the information that came with the cars such as in the manual etc or are dealers just calling them "Multimedia" as they have all the bits on them?

• 4 weeks later...

Did this get bought in the end?

I think there's a difference between something like this which is low-low mileage and just ordinary low mileage (say 3-4k a year but consistently used)

I'd be worried about seals, hoses etc on this. I'd want to see at least a decent history of services and I'd be very thorough checking for leaks.

At the end of the day if this is not in a damp climate the underside, exhaust, brake pipes are unlikely to be extensively corroded. That is a problem in the UK on extremely low mileage cars, the sellers forget that actually these can rust just as bad and in some cases worse than more heavily used cars! They think they're in original condition and often they just ain't. Then if you get a few teething problems with leaks you can end up with some moderate repair bills and consistent issues in early ownership, not many of which are serious but can be annoying considering the premium paid. So often the prices do not reflect this reality.

That said the powertrain will be in excellent condition long as the engine has had oil changes. Throw in a potentially favourable US climate and it starts to look like something worth considering. 

Without going to much into the details, my opinion is that too-low mileage is worse than too-high mileage. Well... it is just as bad, but high miles cars tend to be discounted so you getting fair deal, whereas ultra low mileage cars are just as bad, but you have to get premium for them.

And the reasons for ultra low mileage cars being bad, is similar as mentioned by many above - seals drying out, various things slugging-up, tyres flat spotting, it isn't even good for thing like bearings etc. Obviously, theoretically car could be preserved (like many collectors cars are), but that requires specific routine - draining and replacing fluids, doing service, doing regular warm-ups, tending Battery, keeping car dry, safe maybe even lifted-up etc. I do not expect regular care being maintained like that, so normally it just means car was abandoned somewhere for many years without being used... and that is always bad.

I did look at the car and it certainly looks like genuine 17k miles car, but I would never pay that much premium for it. There are several 2011 cars with relatively low mileage (41k) for less money and that is much better buy.

Hmm, well, comments on here and my own first thread (what to look out for?) having just bought a 2006 IS250 SE-L auto with just 30k on the clock makes interesting reading.

I've not picked it up yet, it's being valeted and I have a jag to sell, but know already to have an oil change, maybe run the fuel tank down and fill up with premium fuel even include some additive and get the calipers checked and lubed.

Fingers crossed eh?

PS ... I won't be driving it like Miss Daisy!

There is a lot of theorising in the comments to be fair. Unless that add said “original tyres” why would you assume it has them. Someone who does that few miles per year is unlikely to brim the tank 4 times a year, more likely a tenners worth every couple of weeks. Perished pipes would be picked up on services. Has it been serviced, has it not. Cars of 30/40 years ago had many more time related issues than modern cars, materials have come a long way.

I theorise as well, but the point is, you will only know the “actual” answers to any of these bad points if you’ve actually been to see it, and asked all the questions.

I wouldn’t pay a premium for low miles, but I wouldn’t count one out just because of what “could” be wrong with it. Same as I wouldn’t count out high miles, 100k was considered shot 30 years ago, it’s just run in nowadays.

For context, I have a 1994 Corrado VR6, which I on average do 250-500 miles per year in. I’ve owned it for 8.5 years, and have changed perished tyres if needed, never had any fuel go off, not had any rubber or seal issues, etc.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Bought my current 2006 model 250 in 2018 with 25k on the clock (for a 12 year old car t the time that was low). I had a 2007 model before for 5 years and it was written off (at 110k miles) so i knew what i was looking at when i bought the 2006 one. Full service history on it and i could tell it had been looked after. Usual things to check, callipers, exhaust etc but to date, no issue with it and its now on 40k 2 years on. Just make sure to change oil for your piece of mind.

It had turned out i was doing approx 14k per year but circumstances changed and now doing (back and forward to work) approx 500 miles per year plus out and about. So its really down to circumstances. A good run a month will ensure its running ok providing its looked after.

I must say tho that, with mine, it doesn't get up to temp from home to work so i am expecting to have the exhaust replaced. I do however give it a good run when i can. I woudl not worry about the mechanics, trust your judgement and if viewing it then you will get a good idea on how it has been looked after. Any car after a valet can be made to look prestine but starting it, listening to it and general condition will give you a good idea of its "health"