Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Trouble

lardo

I had new pads all round on my IS200 the other week. Now I've noticed that about half of the braking surfaces on the front discs are rusty. The rust is in a ring on the inside of the braking surface while the outer edge is polished as usual. The brakes also don't seem to be stopping me as quickly as they should.

Is there more than one pad that would fit the IS200 caliper (and I've got the wrong ones,) or does anyone have another explaination for this?

Thanks

Lardo

Sounds like you've got a sticking caliper piston problem,when you brake the whole of the brake pad is not being pressed against the disc.

I thought about that - but it's both sides. Is that very likely?

I had similar trouble on my GS300(II Sport) last year.Garage found that the slider pins in the brake assembly were seized & only one of the pads would operate properly , brakes felt very spongy. Just a thought.

• 9 months later...

I've got the same trouble but on the rear, the outer pads on both are worn down to 1mm and the inner pads are almost unused, meaning that I'm getting a grinding sound when I brake and the pedal feels spongy.

Could this be the slider pins, if so whereabouts are they on the caliper (is it the one with the rubber grommet and thread or the one that requires a special tool) and do they need to come out to get them working again?

I had new pads all round on my IS200 the other week.  Now I've noticed that about half of the braking surfaces on the front discs are rusty.  The rust is in a ring on the inside of the braking surface while the outer edge is polished as usual.  The brakes also don't seem to be stopping me as quickly as they should.

Is there more than one pad that would fit the IS200 caliper (and I've got the wrong ones,) or does anyone have another explaination for this?

Thanks

Lardo

I've seen this many times before, your fitting new pads on old discs, as a disc wears it may get thinner on the outer sweep area or on the inner sweep erea, when you fit new pads they don't make 100% contact with the disc until they have bed in.

Depending on the amount of wear on your discs, it could take between 25 to 250 miles before the whole of the disc surface is silver again.

When i changed my pads last year it took a few weeks to bed the new pads onto the old discs :) hope that helps,

Bob.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links