Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Confused about keys and fobs

I've been reading a couple of threads recently about replacement keys and fobs for the LS and other period Lexus. Mine only came with the master key which for the '96 MK3 is just a key, no buttons front or side. I would like at the very least a spare key (£35 cut from my local dealer) and possibly a fob for the remote central locking (a little more eye watering £190). Now as I understand it both then have to be coded to the car. My dealer can do both for half an hour's labour if I flutter my eyelashes at them but I'm confused about the insert key/remove key/pat your head/rub your tummy dances I keep reading about. Is this instead of taking the car to the dealer after you've bought the parts?

Anyone?

Look at my post elsewhere in the forum.

I bought a key from Car Keys Online for about £50 and had it cut in a locksmith here in France.

The same locksmith changed the chip for his own version which could be cloned from my old key.  That did not work.  It just set off the alarm and would not allow the engine to start.

I then tried every head/tummy rub routine I could find to programme the buttons, but with no luck whatsoever. 

So it's going in to Toyota on Monday for the official programming using Techstream.  About £60, I'm told, and 30 minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superduner said:

The same locksmith changed the chip for his own version which could be cloned from my old key.  That did not work.  It just set off the alarm and would not allow the engine to start.

I then tried every head/tummy rub routine I could find to programme the buttons, but with no luck whatsoever. 

Hang on, I'm confused now.

I thought the immobiliser side of the equation was sorted and you were just having problems with the remote central locking - is that not the case?

All the open/close doors and insert/extract keys and tummy/head rubbing is ONLY for the remote central locking. The immobiliser is done by Techstream, as the first part of the video on your other topic shows.

14 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Because all the open/close doors and insert/extract keys is ONLY for the remote central locking. The immobiliser is done by Techstream, as the first part of the video on your other topic shows.

Ah, so in my case the key needs to be activated by the dealer, the tummy rubbing would be for the remote if I got one?

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

I've been reading a couple of threads recently about replacement keys and fobs for the LS and other period Lexus. Mine only came with the master key which for the '96 MK3 is just a key, no buttons front or side. I would like at the very least a spare key (£35 cut from my local dealer)

If it's just 'a key' with no buttons and you need a separate fob for the central locking, are you saying that there are no electronics in it at all and it really is just 'a key'?

If so, £35 is a bit of a rip off This guy here on eBay includes the LS in his list of available keys and he also gives his phone number so if you have any doubts or queries you can talk it over with him first.

It's a key with no buttons but I think has something in it for the immobiliser as the red light next to the ignition goes out when the door is unlocked. I assume there's a little transponder in it. The guy on eBay is selling the later 3 button keys.

• Like 1

There seem to be one or two fobs for sale on the Bay from American sellers that are a chunk cheaper even after the carriage. Would anyone know if these fobs are compatible with UK/European cars?

As I understand it, fobs work on one of 2 frequencies.  You will need a 433.92 (or 434) whereas N.A. cars use 315.

Try Car Keys Online.  That's where I got mine.

Tomorrow is the day when my local French dealer tries to programme my key/fob (60€ and 30 minutes work)

I'll report back on the outcome.

Ok, back from local dealer, and I'm half way to getting it sorted.  The good half.

He used a grey box called "Intelligent Tester" which took about 10 minutes to programme both the immobiliser bit and the buttons.  We tried it and everything worked fine.

When I got home half an hour later, the buttons did not work, but at least the car will start now without setting off the alarm.

The car will be back in there in 2 weeks for the timing belt change, so I'll get them to redo the button part of the work.

Quick question to the experts: how near to the car does the immobiliser chip have to be for it to able to a) get in, and b) start it?  In essence, if my original working key is sitting on a post 3 meters away, will it allow the new key to get in/start?

Edit:  The Battery does not really sit well in the fob, and it had lost contact.  A bit of tweaking (bending) and all is well.

• Like 2

The key fob should work at least up to six metres distant from the car depending on what orientation to the front you are .

That is the alarm immobiliser the ignition immobiliser may only work within the cabin of the vehicle for safety reasons.

LS400 1996 and 1997

Cheapest way and decent quality is to get a key and chip from China via Aliexpress. Was about 14 bucks in 2014.

The China key was cut by a local key smith and the China transponder chip was programmed by the local Lexus dealer.

I was able to get the fob programmed with the "key/remove key/pat your head/rub your tummy dances" programming procedure, but not the key.

(Key Fob – 433MHz - 89742-50640 (LS400 8/95 – 7/97))

(Immobilizer Box – ECU – 89780-50010 (8/95-7/97))

Master Key - TOY 40 – long blade (89785-30020 (LS400 8/95 – 7/97))

PS:

Links for reference only:

http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/gr/1996/ls400/ucf20r-aepgkw/5_431220_005_/electrical/8424_anti-theft-device#89785

Key – blank – without chip:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-pc-New-Replacement-transponder-key-shell-Case-fits-for-Lexus-TOY-40-key-blade-long/32641798532.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dPAV4nS

+ Transponder Chip – ID4C (Avensis Celica Yaris Corolla Lexus):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-lot-ID4C-Transponder-Chip-for-Toyota-Avensis-Celica-Yaris-Corolla-new-chip/32810786557.html?spm=2114.search0604.3.7.3d462da4xRcAOo&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10320_10065_10068_10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10696_453_10084_454_10083_433_10618_431_10304_10307_10820_537_536_10902_10843_10059_10884_10887_100031_321_322_10103-10890,searchweb201603_54,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=959319cf-ca16-4a39-bd60-336cf691803d-1&algo_pvid=959319cf-ca16-4a39-bd60-336cf691803d&transAbTest=ae803_5

• Like 1

Having no remote lock/unlock is driving me nuts so I'm biting the bullet on a new transmitter/fob. Hopefully the planets will be aligned and I can get it to talk to the car and avoid the £60 dealer charge on top.

Bah! Fob no longer available. My local Lexus dealer was most apologetic.

Amayama list it but I'm not holding my breath. I could pull the trigger but I don't want to end up with one on the American frequency. Correct part number so I assume that's unlikely...?

Yes, that key-fob part number (89742-50640) is for the European model - see links below, but if I was you I would try to find a used one first by checking out car-breakers in the UK (via fleabay maybe?) and reprogram it to the car. I have reprogrammed a used one once. Keep in mind lots of LSs end up in East Europe

https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=89742-50640&mU=on&mE=on&mJ=on&mG=on

http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/gr/1996/ls400/ucf20r-aepgkw/5_431220_005_/electrical/8420_wireless-door-lock#89742

• Thanks 1

Managed to find one for sale in the UAE of all places. Quick email exchange yesterday and it's been shipped already. DHL should be delivering Friday. Result!

• Like 1

DHL are delivering today. Astonishing. From the UAE to Sheffield in 3 days. I had a supplier on the phone yesterday blaming everything from Coronavirus to sunspots for why it's taken 3 weeks to get an item from Lincolnshire.

Always slightly in awe of real time tracking.

Screenshot_20201007-121054.jpg

They still do and I did wonder if there was a connection but Amayama drew a blank.

Anyhoo, delivered this afternoon and appears to be genuine. Got to try and match it to the car now. I'd rather not get Lexus to do it.