Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2008 gs450h vs 2007 is 250 SE-L

Hi All,

Fantastic community here and loads of great information. I did read through as many posts as possible regarding this but I was hoping a little more advice since it's 2020 (makes the cars I am eyeing up even older) 

I had to scrap 2003 E46 BMW 330D due to ULEZ kicking in! That car has been the most reliable car I have ever owned not needing a single repair in 7 years of ownership.

Looking got a second vehicle I have found Lexus to be the best option for another reliable ride but with added luxury.

I am torn between the following:

GS450h 2008 with 125k on the clock

IS250 SE-L 2007 with about 90k on the clock

IS250 SE-L 2009 with about 100k on the clock 

I live in Ilford, essex but always driving to and from East London. Driving around London too.

I am looking for which car would be most reliable.

The GS offers so much power but I am concerned about real world MPG. From the posts here from 3 years ago it seems that you get mid 20 mpg. I also read here of several expensive maintenance repairs that occur.

A car this age I doubt will have any lexus warranty. I am particularly scared of the hybrid repairs - especially Battery ( I think maybe more because I am not familiar with hybrid)

Hybrid + 3.5 lite V6 sounds amazing on top of al the luxury comfort.

The IS seem safer to me due to it not being an old 12 year hybrid with a bigger boot. But my concern here is comfort - I am sick of feeling the bumps on the road in my lowered 15 year old BMW!

What would you advice from your experience? Is the real world MPG that different between the two? Do you feel all the bumps on the roads in a IS250? Would IS250 have far cheaper(less?) Problems?

I am not extremely car savvy but I do like a bit of power and a bit of luxury. My main think is reliability - I can really do with a car that won't cost me a fortune at this moment in my life. I would say I got 30mpg on my BMW.

I guess a GS300 might be another option? 

I do appreciate any help or advice

Thanks

J

I'll chime in my thoughts and experience. First off, welcome to the club  🙂

Driving around London, my GS450h managed around 25mpg in summer. I suspect the IS250 is in that vicinity too so it would be a tie there. And since you're after the SE-L trim of the IS250, I don't think you'll be left wanting for anything additional that the 3GS could offer, so another tie there.

Ride and comfort - I feel this is very subjective, and best if you test drive the cars and decide. I find that my GS450h is a little too stiff. It works on the roads around me and my commute, but left me wanting for a smoother ride in London. For the times that I've had the IS250 as courtesy cars, the ride felt more compliant than the GS, but I've not driven it in London.

Reliability - there had been some big-bill items on my GS but none of it was related to the hybrid system. You may have read that Lexus does offer a warranty for the hybrid Battery too, up to 15 years. The IS250 does have a regular powertrain so in theory less things to go wrong.

• Like 2

Hi Ganesh,

Great to be here! Hopefully I'll be a legit member with an IS250 or GS 450 in the next few days!

Thank you for your input! Appreciate the point of view from a GS owner.

Looks like the IS250 seems a lot more rounded and practical for London roads (i drive around some tight streets!). What would you say you experienced in terms of performance between the two. I do know the GS is far superior in regards to pick up with its 3.5 litre V6 - but is the IS250 sluggish or fast enough for it to be a little fun too?

Finally 2/3 IS250 I have found are SE-I whereas the 2007 model I have found is SE-L. I found a forum post and seems to be not much of a difference between the two. As a Lexus owner - are you familiar with the difference between the two?

34 minutes ago, JT88 said:

What would you say you experienced in terms of performance between the two. I do know the GS is far superior in regards to pick up with its 3.5 litre V6 - but is the IS250 sluggish or fast enough for it to be a little fun too?

The GS450h has superior straight-line acceleration compared to the IS250, but I found the IS250 to be more engaging to drive. In fact, the IS250 was plenty fun to drive (especially in 3IS form), and having a "normal" automatic transmission also added to the aural thrills  🙂

Finally 2/3 IS250 I have found are SE-I whereas the 2007 model I have found is SE-L. I found a forum post and seems to be not much of a difference between the two. As a Lexus owner - are you familiar with the difference between the two?

Sorry, not too familiar with the difference between the two. Hopefully someone can chime in on this.

Hopefully I'll be a legit member with an IS250 or GS 450 in the next few days!

Good luck with your search!

11 minutes ago, LexIS200Sport said:

The GS450h has superior straight-line acceleration compared to the IS250, but I found the IS250 to be more engaging to drive. In fact, the IS250 was plenty fun to drive (especially in 3IS form), and having a "normal" automatic transmission also added to the aural thrills  🙂

Sorry, not too familiar with the difference between the two. Hopefully someone can chime in on this.

Good luck with your search!

Thank you! This has been very insightful! I most likely get the IS250 from this. Tomorrow is the test drive day! 😧

Hi

I have driven a gs450h since January and approx 2500 miles, mostly locally. In winter I got around 20mpg and summer around 24 odd. The back is way bigger than the is250 as I have driven that a few miles, so for me the is250 is not an option with child seats ruining it for other passengers. The mpg is similar. The sound as lexis200 sport is nice in the 250 due to actual gears as opposed to the cvt in the gs. The the gs is quite good ina a straight line and feels much faster than the is, and the sound is still nice. 

One big thing for me on the gs is the hybrid. Its nice to sit quietly in traffic with the engine off so frequently, it's like an amazing stop-start system. The torque fill is really good with the electric motors as well. It does feel really really heavy though, and also the ride isn't amazing with the 18 inch alloys

Hope that helps 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rameez said:

Hi

I have driven a gs450h since January and approx 2500 miles, mostly locally. In winter I got around 20mpg and summer around 24 odd. The back is way bigger than the is250 as I have driven that a few miles, so for me the is250 is not an option with child seats ruining it for other passengers. The mpg is similar. The sound as lexis200 sport is nice in the 250 due to actual gears as opposed to the cvt in the gs. The the gs is quite good ina a straight line and feels much faster than the is, and the sound is still nice. 

One big thing for me on the gs is the hybrid. Its nice to sit quietly in traffic with the engine off so frequently, it's like an amazing stop-start system. The torque fill is really good with the electric motors as well. It does feel really really heavy though, and also the ride isn't amazing with the 18 inch alloys. 

Hope that helps 

That's the thing the size is a massive bonus. However the lack of boot kills it. My kids pram will fill that space up. 

It must be so sweet having all that power for the same MPG as an IS250.

Have you had any expensive repairs come up now ?

3 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Also had gs450h since early this year.

Averages about 36mpg mixed driving. I find I drive it to max the mpg now, knowing it can do the business if need be. Just wants to be driven lazily.

That is really decent MPG for a car that size and 3.5 litre v6. I guess it's more of a cruiser

2 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Boot space is awful for a huge car. Had to buy a roof box!

That's actually a good shout I didn't think of that. You don't always need boot space. Even with a boot I sometimes put quick groceries in my back seats 

Yeah true boot space is terrible. With lockdown don't need to take the pram anywhere lol. It's ok for shopping though, unless you do huge shops. 

With regards to my mpg, I like to use its acceleration and rarely drive lazily, I don't have the patient to drive it lazily, I will use full throttle frequently from a standstill so I guess that kills the mpg. Although for some reason I still think I'm driving economically. 

I had a scare earlier this year where I thought the engine lunched itself, but luckily was just an injector. Repairs at the local cost me £200ish because they changed the spark plugs before realising it was the injector. 

2 hours ago, JT88 said:

That's actually a good shout I didn't think of that. You don't always need boot space. Even with a boot I sometimes put quick groceries in my back seats 

True the boot is small but with a little care and planning you can manage.

I have just one car so it has to go to the tip as well as shopping and on holiday. I routinely go away with the car full: me driving, wife who loves clutter round her feet even when the boot and back seats are empty, in front seat, dog in her hammock 40% of rear seat, two kit bags with our clothes on remaining 60%, cat in travelling cage strapped on top of kit bags, dog and cat food etc. in one rear foot well, lunch on transmission tunnel, asst cameras computers etc. in other rear foot well, couple of anoraks jammed round the cat basket for easy access. In the boot we have collection of DIY building stuff including power tools and cans of paint, walking boots, food for a week including an insulated bag of frozen stuff, a few bottles of wine, and other stuff to fill it completely. Fortunately I have never had a puncture. The cat has now died giving a little more room.

I will see 36mpg or better on the way to S Wales via A roads and on the way back using M4 and A34 I have seen 45.8 mpg from M4 J 18 to home.

My children have long gone or I would not be able to manage.

John

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldTrout said:

True the boot is small but with a little care and planning you can manage.

I have just one car so it has to go to the tip as well as shopping and on holiday. I routinely go away with the car full: me driving, wife who loves clutter round her feet even when the boot and back seats are empty, in front seat, dog in her hammock 40% of rear seat, two kit bags with our clothes on remaining 60%, cat in travelling cage strapped on top of kit bags, dog and cat food etc. in one rear foot well, lunch on transmission tunnel, asst cameras computers etc. in other rear foot well, couple of anoraks jammed round the cat basket for easy access. In the boot we have collection of DIY building stuff including power tools and cans of paint, walking boots, food for a week including an insulated bag of frozen stuff, a few bottles of wine, and other stuff to fill it completely. Fortunately I have never had a puncture. The cat has now died giving a little more room.

I will see 36mpg or better on the way to S Wales via A roads and on the way back using M4 and A34 I have seen 45.8 mpg from M4 J 18 to home.

My children have long gone or I would not be able to manage.

John

Excellent John. I found that a really funny read. My wife complains constantly that there is no drop down glovebox lid upon which she can rest her teacup !

My golf clubs are accommodated nicely with my trolley in the boot !

Edited by royoftherovers
missed out wife !!

On 9/22/2020 at 12:29 AM, JT88 said:

Hi All,

Fantastic community here and loads of great information. I did read through as many posts as possible regarding this but I was hoping a little more advice since it's 2020 (makes the cars I am eyeing up even older) 

I had to scrap 2003 E46 BMW 330D due to ULEZ kicking in! That car has been the most reliable car I have ever owned not needing a single repair in 7 years of ownership.

Looking got a second vehicle I have found Lexus to be the best option for another reliable ride but with added luxury.

I am torn between the following:

GS450h 2008 with 125k on the clock

IS250 SE-L 2007 with about 90k on the clock

IS250 SE-L 2009 with about 100k on the clock 

I live in Ilford, essex but always driving to and from East London. Driving around London too.

I am looking for which car would be most reliable.

The GS offers so much power but I am concerned about real world MPG. From the posts here from 3 years ago it seems that you get mid 20 mpg. I also read here of several expensive maintenance repairs that occur.

A car this age I doubt will have any lexus warranty. I am particularly scared of the hybrid repairs - especially battery ( I think maybe more because I am not familiar with hybrid)

Hybrid + 3.5 lite V6 sounds amazing on top of al the luxury comfort.

The IS seem safer to me due to it not being an old 12 year hybrid with a bigger boot. But my concern here is comfort - I am sick of feeling the bumps on the road in my lowered 15 year old BMW!

What would you advice from your experience? Is the real world MPG that different between the two? Do you feel all the bumps on the roads in a IS250? Would IS250 have far cheaper(less?) Problems?

I am not extremely car savvy but I do like a bit of power and a bit of luxury. My main think is reliability - I can really do with a car that won't cost me a fortune at this moment in my life. I would say I got 30mpg on my BMW.

I guess a GS300 might be another option? 

I do appreciate any help or advice

Thanks

J

GS body is bigger than IS to a substantial degree - it's a longer wheelbase (smoother ride) but harder to park -- dimensions very similar to a 5 series I think

I err to the bigger, more expensive car (GS over IS) b/c the build quality, level of std equipment tends to be better

The road tax is a consideration for a non-hybrid 

Have a look at the 4th gen GS250 - I find it fast enough and not a popular choice (i.e. I would think you'll get a good price)

2 hours ago, Werewolf1976 said:

GS body is bigger than IS to a substantial degree - it's a longer wheelbase (smoother ride) but harder to park -- dimensions very similar to a 5 series I think

I err to the bigger, more expensive car (GS over IS) b/c the build quality, level of std equipment tends to be better

The road tax is a consideration for a non-hybrid 

Have a look at the 4th gen GS250 - I find it fast enough and not a popular choice (i.e. I would think you'll get a good price)

Hey yeah, the GS line does seem really well built. I am under the impression that yo get a GS - you either get one that doesn't leT you down or one that will cost you around 1k a year or so to maintain.

I bought the IS250 as I found one that was in such a good condition! 

Thanks! Really happy with this car it was very well taken care off. The car came it felt so much better inside than I expected for a 10 year old car. If has aged so well! 

I was not disappointed with the drive or aesthetics.

These are the pictures from the advert , Its rained a little and haven't had too much time to admire the car yet. This weekend will be me and the lexus 😄

This is an SE-i not the SE-L so missing 2 or 3 things from being fully loaded but I'm not phased by that  

SmartSelect_20200928-201727_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20200928-201836_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20200928-201903_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3