Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm going to look at an SC430 tomorrow!

Davey Blueeyes

Hi all,

I'm looking for a facelift SC430 and I'm going to look at one tomorrow. To go with my RX400h (and the gazillion other Lexus's I've had in the past!)

I have had the 430 engine before, in a GS430 and had no problems with it. However I remember a distant bell of of something to do with coolant and ATF fluid mixing, head gaskets going and gearboxes going bang in that engine!

So, what do I check because that is the main cause of concern that is rattling around in my head with it. Is there anything that can be done preventatively if all is good?

Plus what else to look out for?! It's a 55 plate facelift with about 76k. Cambelt and waterpump done at an indie, I've already confirmed that with the garage that did it.

Thanks!

David

1 hour ago, Davey Blueeyes said:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a facelift SC430 and I'm going to look at one tomorrow. To go with my RX400h (and the gazillion other Lexus's I've had in the past!)

I have had the 430 engine before, in a GS430 and had no problems with it. However I remember a distant bell of of something to do with coolant and ATF fluid mixing, head gaskets going and gearboxes going bang in that engine!

So, what do I check because that is the main cause of concern that is rattling around in my head with it. Is there anything that can be done preventatively if all is good?

Plus what else to look out for?! It's a 55 plate facelift with about 76k. Cambelt and waterpump done at an indie, I've already confirmed that with the garage that did it.

Thanks!

David

Davey, join this forum pronto as its full of SC Owners.  https://forum.lexusownersclub.com/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davey Blueeyes said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

David

I've never heard of head gaskets going on the 4.3 engine and as long as it's serviced properly and had the cambelt replaced it's a tough old engine.  The transmission/water issue can easily be prevented by replacing the radiator or fitting a trans cooler, all straightforward enough.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davey Blueeyes said:

I'm guessing it's cheaper to replace the rad than a dedicated oil cooler?

It depends whether you buy an OEM rad or aftermarket. Oil coolers are fairly cheap but I'd prefer the original setup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

It depends whether you buy an OEM rad or aftermarket. Oil coolers are fairly cheap but I'd prefer the original setup.

Who makes OEM rads? I think Denso is one? Looking like it's less than fifty quid from Rock auto so I think I'd get it changed. Cheaper than a new gearbox! On that note, is an ATF oil change recommended? Or is it a sealed for life thing?? 

Thanks for all your help btw! 

The autobox fluid is supposed to last a lifetime, it's not an immediate or major concern but it is well worth doing and always use the correct fluid from Lexus. Nicnac on here and LW did an excellent piece on it.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davey Blueeyes said:

Who makes OEM rads? I think Denso is one? Looking like it's less than fifty quid from Rock auto so I think I'd get it changed. Cheaper than a new gearbox! On that note, is an ATF oil change recommended? Or is it a sealed for life thing?? 

Thanks for all your help btw! 

Be careful if you order a radiator from Rockauto.  I don't know about the SC but on the LS430 the US setup is different, my coolant reservoir (being a Celsior) is attached to the radiator as in the US, but the UK setup is different so you'd need to check that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Be careful if you order a radiator from Rockauto.  I don't know about the SC but on the LS430 the US setup is different, my coolant reservoir (being a Celsior) is attached to the radiator as in the US, but the UK setup is different so you'd need to check that.

Thanks, I didn't know this

So, an update. Car checks out nicely and clearly has been looked after. The alternator is a bit weak, side repeaters are full of water and it needs a 4 wheel alignment as there is some ruddering at speed. That's about it. Not a single leak of anything anywhere, always like that! Exhaust has had the back box modified for a bit more noise and some nice tips added for effect, can live with that. However car has coilovers which makes it a firmer ride than it should be. So I'm going to have a play with the hard/soft setting to see if we can soften that up a bit. Why on earth would you put on coilovers? Probably cost someone a grand or so too, especially on a car like this. But let's see if I can live with it. Got near £500 off for the alternator so happy days really. Those wheels do look good too. But it's silver, gonna have to live with that too! 🙂

Still wondering about replacing the gearbox oil and radiator as preventative things. The car's done 77k so a good time for gearbox oil change really if you're gonna do it.

Out of interest, best place to get these parts? And all future parts?? That isn't Lexus? Has anyone used Rock Auto in the states for parts?

1 hour ago, Davey Blueeyes said:

So, an update. Car checks out nicely and clearly has been looked after. The alternator is a bit weak, side repeaters are full of water and it needs a 4 wheel alignment as there is some ruddering at speed. That's about it. Not a single leak of anything anywhere, always like that! Exhaust has had the back box modified for a bit more noise and some nice tips added for effect, can live with that. However car has coilovers which makes it a firmer ride than it should be. So I'm going to have a play with the hard/soft setting to see if we can soften that up a bit. Why on earth would you put on coilovers? Probably cost someone a grand or so too, especially on a car like this. But let's see if I can live with it. Got near £500 off for the alternator so happy days really. Those wheels do look good too. But it's silver, gonna have to live with that too! 🙂

Still wondering about replacing the gearbox oil and radiator as preventative things. The car's done 77k so a good time for gearbox oil change really if you're gonna do it.

Out of interest, best place to get these parts? And all future parts?? That isn't Lexus? Has anyone used Rock Auto in the states for parts?

I use Rock all the time now, sooo much cheaper than buying here.  Just remember to choose FedEx international economy and pay the vat up front and you'll have your parts within a few days with nothing else to pay, generally my parts arrive in four days.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads up about Rock Auto. Just out of curiosity I checked out the website from your post. As an example for my IS250 the OEM Aisin Water Pump would cost just under £105 including international shipping and taxes VS £156 from Lexus UK with shipping. Very surprised at the cost savings involved, seems like it's too good to be true. The savings would only increase when bulk purchasing.

Will be bookmarking this site for when I need discs and pads and other bits for sure

8 hours ago, Andrew250 said:

Thanks for the heads up about Rock Auto. Just out of curiosity I checked out the website from your post. As an example for my IS250 the OEM Aisin Water Pump would cost just under £105 including international shipping and taxes VS £156 from Lexus UK with shipping. Very surprised at the cost savings involved, seems like it's too good to be true. The savings would only increase when bulk purchasing.

Will be bookmarking this site for when I need discs and pads and other bits for sure

It's worth bearing in mind that the heavier the items the higher the shipping cost.  I enquired about front discs but because of the weight shipping was £90, compared to a pair of upper control arms that cost me £20 shipping!

• 3 weeks later...

Off to check on a 2001 tomorrow.  Previously owned 2nd gen GS430 Sport as well as an RX300 but moved to the dark side of the MB and VW world.  Well hopefully very soon I’ll be back in the land of Lexus.  On a related topic I genuinely think that this owners club is the best of the lot, and believe you me I’ve known a few. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's now on my drive.  Forgot how intoxicating the rumble if the V8 is.  Drove it 100 odd miles on Friday morning back to Leicestershire.  Was it an essential journey, hell yes😁 .  Issues well the same as the past two Lexus, the radiator expansion tank is leaking where top and bottom halves are joined together.  Spent ages trying to find one previously, as refuse to pay £300 + for new one.  However despite this, cars never ran hot.  Power aerial and drivers side folding wing mirror not working and sat nav disc needs updating as it's showing me living in a field.

• Like 2