Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Prospective RX Purchase

9 hours ago, A-Rod said:

Hi All,

Sorry to be hijacking this thread, but with 2008-09 RX350 being almost unavailable (one on eBay without nav) in the UK, I'm now going back on the RX400h researching route.

I have seen a lot of complaints on US forums pertaining to the hybrid batteries fault codes and/or failures, setting owners back thousands of USD; one Brit commented on those threads saying he had to fork out in excess of £4000 to get one fitted.

Having looked browsed on this forum, I note that not a lot of people are having issues with the hybrid systems - is it too soon and perhaps in another 3 years the below 2008 models will begin suffering low charge / issues?

Has anyone had to replace their hybrid batteries?

Also, I note that pretty much every single 2008-2009 car I have seen hasn't got both front and rear sensors but only comes with rear cameras. I'm used to driving big cars as owned a 2010 Phaeton, which came with front sensors that are a must for the car of that size. How do you guys cope without any front sensors? I have seen two cars on AT, one has had front and rear retrofitted, and the other seems to have it from factory being an 09 plate executive limited edition model (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I was expecting some form of sensors / camera at the front for the vehicle of this size.

Yes the RX350 is rare in the UK due to most people opting for the 400h. As an example, in 2008 there were 3,023 400h sold and 177 RX350s.

I'm not sure where you have seen lots of people having hybrid system issues with the RX on these forums but it is extremely rare - I can only thing of a couple of batteries failures reported in the last 10 years. The GS450h on the other hand does suffer some reliability issues with the batteries.

If you have a problem then you can find companies that will fix the issue, you can get a used Battery from a scrap yard or purchase a third part Battery (around £2k) - if someone is silly enough to go to Lexus for a Battery issue on a 10 year old car then yes it could cost them £4k, the same as if you had a transmission issue with a RX350 and went to a Lexus dealer.

For vehicles up to 15 years old you can have a Lexus dealer perform a hybrid health check for £59 which will give you a 12 month/10k mile warranty on the hybrid Battery (not the rest of the hybrid system).

WRT the parking sensors, the RX series II didn't have factory integrated parking sensors - any that are fitted are either a Lexus branded aftermarket system fitted in the UK by the dealer or independent sensors added by the owner. Vehicles with Sat Nav will have the reversing camera. The last run 2009 400h limited edition didn't have parking sensors factory fitted so what you saw was a UK dealer option.

Given the high driving position and quite short bonnet I never really found an issue with the front of my 400h but you could always get a DIY system fitted.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Had the caliper pin sorted today ........ however the garage said that when I replace the brake pads I will need a NEW caliper (as the pin does not retract enough? I think that is what he said)

Lexus calipers £250 each I believe?  Will be saving up! LOL!

I do understand the reasons for the caliper pins to seize - lack of use due to regenerative braking - but apart from servicing the rear brake caliper each year, how can I get the rear brakes to come on now and then?

Reversing quickly (safely) and slamming on the brakes? Harder severe braking?

Any suggestions ? Just to keep them working?

Do a search on the Forum or ask Colin Barber as I`m sure I have read recently that it is not necessary to buy new and they can be nursed very successfully.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Had the caliper pin sorted today ........ however the garage said that when I replace the brake pads I will need a NEW caliper (as the pin does not retract enough? I think that is what he said)

Lexus calipers £250 each I believe?  Will be saving up! LOL!

I do understand the reasons for the caliper pins to seize - lack of use due to regenerative braking - but apart from servicing the rear brake caliper each year, how can I get the rear brakes to come on now and then?

Reversing quickly (safely) and slamming on the brakes? Harder severe braking?

Any suggestions ? Just to keep them working?

There are a couple of things here.

The regen braking does lead to the mechanical brakes not being used that much if you are light on the brakes, and affects the rear more. That can lead to the rotor itself becoming corroded so yes you want to do some hard braking every few weeks just to clean the surfaces before it gets too bad and starts to pit them if your normal driving hasn't achieved that. 50 mph down to 10 mph hard a couple of times should do it (when safe to do so). Braking hard in reverse isn't going to be enough IMO.

That may help somewhat with the calliper slider pins sticking too but it is just the design of them that is the real problem and you get the same issue on the petrol variants as well. Re-greasing them every year or two is the only way to stop them binding up. On the RX will high ground clearance you can take them out one by one and regrease without removing the wheels or jacking up the vehicle if you are prepared and able to lay on the ground and crawl under a bit.

Normally problems with the sliders can be solved by cleaning or replacing the pins and rubbers and cleaning out the hole in the calliper - doesn't need a new calliper. If there is a problem with the calliper piston then it may need a rebuild or new calliper - it is quite rare for this to be needed in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

There are a couple of things here.

The regen braking does lead to the mechanical brakes not being used that much if you are light on the brakes, and affects the rear more. That can lead to the rotor itself becoming corroded so yes you want to do some hard braking every few weeks just to clean the surfaces before it gets too bad and starts to pit them if your normal driving hasn't achieved that. 50 mph down to 10 mph hard a couple of times should do it (when safe to do so). Braking hard in reverse isn't going to be enough IMO.

That may help somewhat with the calliper slider pins sticking too but it is just the design of them that is the real problem and you get the same issue on the petrol variants as well. Re-greasing them every year or two is the only way to stop them binding up. On the RX will high ground clearance you can take them out one by one and regrease without removing the wheels or jacking up the vehicle if you are prepared and able to lay on the ground and crawl under a bit.

Normally problems with the sliders can be solved by cleaning or replacing the pins and rubbers and cleaning out the hole in the calliper - doesn't need a new calliper. If there is a problem with the calliper piston then it may need a rebuild or new calliper - it is quite rare for this to be needed in my experience.

Thank you Colin, I was somewhat surprised at what they said. Their argument was that the calliper would not retract enough to fit new brake shoes. I know very little about how they actually work so a post on here might save me a lot of money. Will get another garage, though I have faith in the garage I took it to, to have a look.

Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge and experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

................yes you want to do some hard braking every few weeks just to clean the surfaces before it gets too bad and starts to pit them if your normal driving hasn't achieved that. 50 mph down to 10 mph hard a couple of times should do it (when safe to do so). 

Will try this - when safe - and see what the rear disc looks like afterwards. One rear disk was clean and shiny, Offside, it was just Nearside one that was rusty. I said the caliper would not fully retract - I think I mean the piston? I am NOT mechanical but I am prepared to learn and to have a go at keeping the pins greased if that's what it takes.

I will do some research / reading about the caliper (though not in the handbook John!) and pins. 

I think my driving style will not be conducive to using the mechanical brakes to the full extent. I will try your suggestion Colin every few weeks.

Thank you, your knowledge and advice guys is most welcome and reassuring. 

• Like 1

"I will do some research / reading about the caliper (though not in the handbook John!) and pins. "

Educating oneself is important my friend and often leads one to being in a minority. But, the minority are usually the best informed.

You S

David, have graduated to being top of the class in no time at all!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

"I will do some research / reading about the caliper (though not in the handbook John!) and pins. "

Educating oneself is important my friend and often leads one to being in a minority. But, the minority are usually the best informed.

You S

David, have graduated to being top of the class in no time at all!

That is praise indeed from you John! I am blushing with pride!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links