Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone used Dension or Grom or whatever to get BT audio and calls in their pre-97 LS400? I've used Grom for the BT3 and Aux adapter in my IS and GS but they're both later cars and the Grom website doesn't list the LS400. I do have a spare harness I could try but I don't want to go to the bother of removing the head unit if it's a non-starter.

Alternatively Dension do list the LS400 but the head units seem a bit off. Sorry for the poor quality but mine is this one. Any idea what sort it is?

61305596.thumb.jpg.0aac843f8b8a56064a454bc682bda564.jpg

Any thoughts?

I keep looking at the Dension and there seems to be some confusion regarding harnesses and whether they work or not. Though fitting behind the autochanger does look a little more simple than removing the head unit. I'd hoped for a GROM solution because they just worked on the GS and IS.

Any other input?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John.

I'd hoped for the GROM solution but got a no from them when I got in touch. I did wonder if it was just they didn't want to commit so went to check the harness myself but actually there's a really good How to... here by @Howplum that shows the harness in detail so I was able to save myself the hassle and compare with the GROM harness I already have. Unfortunately it's not a match.

So more investigation into Dension required I think. But tbh I've been rather enjoying the cassette and CD players and just ignoring phone calls :biggrin: I've also rediscovered the retro delights of burning CDs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dension kit has arrived today and I intend to fit it over the weekend. The supplier isn't 100% sure the harness will work but he's said I can return it if not.

I'll keep you posted.

Have you tried one of the cigarette lighter Bluetooth to FM units?
The sound quality isn't as good as direct Bluetooth but the convenience is all there.
Mine cost me £15 and lives in the glovebox cigarette lighter socket on my LS430.
Works well 99.9% of the time but the sound quality is not as crisp as a CD.

Unfortunately they're what I'm trying to upgrade from. As you say, sound quality isn't great but I also don't like the look of it sticking out of the ashtray all the time. No hidden socket on the 400.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MotorDevil said:

Thats a pity it didnt work. Any idea what the harness you received is for? Is it just that its for another Lexus model or a different generation of the LS ? 

I've a feeling it's for the slightly later LS ie 97-00 Or possibly 00- LS/GS/IS It will no doubt fit Toyota/Lexus (like the GROM harness) but I think our MK3s are just too early.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, BigBoomer said:

Have you tried one of the cigarette lighter Bluetooth to FM units?
The sound quality isn't as good as direct Bluetooth but the convenience is all there.
Mine cost me £15 and lives in the glovebox cigarette lighter socket on my LS430.
Works well 99.9% of the time but the sound quality is not as crisp as a CD.

Are you using this one? I thought it was a major step up in quality from units I had tried before.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MV6Q32P/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AKD5GY2EH01EV&psc=1

16 hours ago, jonthetourist said:

Are you using this one? I thought it was a major step up in quality from units I had tried before.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MV6Q32P/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AKD5GY2EH01EV&psc=1

I'm not, but I will order one as it's more compact than mine.
Mine is BlueTooth 4.0 and nearly 3 years old now (bought in Feb 2018).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K4SUASY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It makes the passengers jump when the HiFi suddenly says "Paired" out of nowhere. <LOL>

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links