Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering wheel retract gone kaputt

Well only the other day I was thinking how the steering wheel had not made a the 'rubbing noise' it did from time to time when retracting.

It was only today I realised it actually does not retract and when I pull key out of ignition.  

When I try a using the tilt/retract control it seems like there is something trying to engage (the column housing moves a smidge) but nothing happens.  Tilt function works, and the steering wheel is at least stuck in by best driving position.

So not sure if the motor is not working or some linkage is not working.  

Had a scout about the forums but not found anything (other than if the tilt/retract does not work, all a bit expensive to sort).

Any ideas on what my exact problem might and what to take apart to get an idea if worth sorting.

• Sad 1

They have two  motors one retracts and one swivels the column  and there is a post on the US site that deals with the issue ,if I recollect  correctly the issue was gunged up worm drive and the introduction of a home made spacer so the gear engaged properly.

Just now, ambermarine said:

They have two  motors one retracts and one swivels the column  and there is a post on the US site that deals with the issue ,if I recollect  correctly the issue was gunged up worm drive and the introduction of a home made spacer so the gear engaged properly.

I checked out a few YouTube videos and posting in USA, mainly seem to be the tilt gear not aligning, but may just get the covers off the steering column and have a look to see how much of a nightmare it is to get a look at the telescopic motor.

At least problem happening in 20 year old car, whereas some owners seem to be having failures in 10 years or so.

Just taken some photos.

Am I right in assuming the Tilt and Telescope box is the control unit, not the actual motors.  If someone can confirm.

Also I would need to take out the lower dash, but not quite sure where to start, any ideas please.

If I get to seriously poke around with this (even if not repair) will post images of what is what with a Mk4, as seems to be not a lot of info out there.

Tilt & Tele.jpg

Under Dash.jpg

14 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Just taken some photos.

Am I right in assuming the Tilt and Telescope box is the control unit, not the actual motors.  If someone can confirm.

Also I would need to take out the lower dash, but not quite sure where to start, any ideas please.

If I get to seriously poke around with this (even if not repair) will post images of what is what with a Mk4, as seems to be not a lot of info out there.

Tilt & Tele.jpg

Under Dash.jpg

You are correct the box just controls the operation the removal of the steering column shroud behind the wheel and the bottom panel in the footwell is easy just a series of screws.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mikaelse said:

on my 1995

I understand that the Mk1,2 and Mk3 have a much simpler fix solution in that it is simply a BIG washer and no teccy solution required

Mine at 231k miles is still ( fingers xd ) fine

Malc

42 minutes ago, Malc said:

Mk1,2 and Mk3 have a much simpler fix solution

I have read the same on some USA LOC, but I will have a look, as I am curious as to how much of a pain it could be even if it ends up with me deciding too much bother

I just need to find time to have a good look, trouble is that other DIY jobs keep getting in the way, and as I only drive the car about once every ten days not a bother (on the other hand as I am not driving it much also a good time to pull things apart).

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links