Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC500h Battery...

Kevin Williams

I am thinking of buying a Lexus LC500h.

I have one in mind, but if I ask these questions of a sales guy, he probably won't be able to answer them correctly. He will want to sell me the car...!

Unfortunately, due to a serious accident several years, my non electric cars need to have their batteries regularly trickle charged.

Does anyone know how long a Lexus LC500h can be garaged before the engine won't start...?

I am assuming that the lithium-ion Battery will start the engine within a certain period of time...? The internet says that the LC500h, will do approx 4 miles, when the lithium-ion Battery is fully charged.

Another question... How much driving do you need to do, to fully charge the lithium-ion Battery...?

And lastly, whats the normal Battery in the boot for...?

Thank you 

3 hours ago, Kevin Williams said:

How much driving do you need to do, to fully charge the lithium-ion battery...?

The normal 12 volt Battery in the boot runs all the normal car 12 volt systems "lights, radio, windows, heater fan to name a few". If it is in good condition it should be capable of enabling the car "go to ready mode" to start up to about 4 weeks. The 12 volt Battery is not used to turn the engine over as in a normal car. The hybrids do not have a 12 volt starter motor or a 12 volt alternator. The lithium Battery is not there to use as a method of driving without the engine. Doing this reduces fuel consumption as the engine then needs to run to recharge it as well as power the car.
The idea is to keep it charged from energy that would normally be wasted by braking, and turning the energy into heat in the discs. When braking the energy is turned into electricity, and that is used to charge the Battery. Also some energy is regained when you take your foot off the accelerator. The engine stops, and the overrun produces some energy. In a normal car this energy would be wasted by pushing the engine round. This energy is then used to assist the engine reducing fuel consumption. It is also used to start the car once ready mode is enabled buy the 12 volt Battery.

John.

5 hours ago, Kevin Williams said:

Another question... How much driving do you need to do, to fully charge the lithium-ion battery...?

It will depend on what sort of driving you do, if your just driving around town then it may never be completely fully charged, this is because if your drive correctly you will be constantly  using the hybrid system, but if you drive on a motorway, were the hybrid system is hardly used then it will charge fully ( 80% max ) in a few miles, although i do believe in perfect conditions it is possible to run the LC at 70mph just on Battery

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

The normal 12 volt battery in the boot runs all the normal car 12 volt systems "lights, radio, windows, heater fan to name a few".

Is that strictly correct? My understanding is that the 12v Battery powers the entry system and the the start-up computers. Once in the Ready state the traction Battery powers everything directly, via the converter (?) and also recharges the 12v?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Is that strictly correct?

If you read my wording it states 

5 hours ago, Britprius said:

"lights, radio, windows, heater fan to name a few".

The important words here are "to name a few". To write everything down would take the whole page, but strictly speaking the 12 volt Battery does not start the engine. This is done by the high voltage Battery, and MG1 in the transmission used as a starter motor. The 12 volt Battery would not last long with the continued starting, and stopping of the engine in normal use.

John.

If you read my post, it says the traction Battery supplies power to everything, once the car is in the Ready state.

The 12v Battery only supplies power to the entry system, including the welcome lighting and to bring the car to the Ready state.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links