Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problem updating map from Satnavishop

Has anyone else successfully done this?

I've downloaded updated maps from satnavishop, but I just can't get them applied to my IS300H non-premium navigation system. Satnavishop have been really helpful and responsive to me, but the bottom line is that I still can't make it work. What I've done:

- downloaded the files from the link satnavishop gave me (twice, in fact, in case it was a download glitch)

- unzipped the files and copied them to an otherwise empty USB stick (tried with two sticks, both formatted FAT32. Also tried with satnivshop's utility to unzip/copy the files))

- put the USB into one of the two USB ports in the compartment on the left of the driver (are there any other USB ports?)

- in the car menu system, I went to Setup/Navigation/Map data/Data update and ..... after a little wait got a message to the effect that the update data could not be read and to check the contents of the USB stick. What I was expecting was for it to prompt me for an activation key.

Satnavishop confirmed that the file contents of the USB disks look correct, from sceenshots of the directory listing.

Am I missing any steps, or not doing it right? All help would be much appreciated (sorry if this has been asked before, I know this sort of thing comes up but I couldn't quite find the steps elsewhere in the forum).

Colin

Some devices can be very particular about what memory sticks it likes.

I'd say, try a few more USB sticks. Can you borrow from friends? Perhaps an older one that is USB 2.

Have used their SD Cards and they work well. Put card in it works. Why not have them send you the USB stick (that is an option they offer), then the files should be in order and they should have used a USB that they think will work. 

Thank you for the replies. I should have mentioned that the car easily reads photos from the same usb disks (I put some on as a test, then deleted them afterwards). Still, I could probably find others to try, and using their stick may be an option (though they charge for it).

Should something happen as soon as you put in the stick, or only after going into Data Update?

On 9/24/2020 at 9:38 PM, Colin Crow said:

Thank you for the replies. I should have mentioned that the car easily reads photos from the same usb disks (I put some on as a test, then deleted them afterwards). Still, I could probably find others to try, and using their stick may be an option (though they charge for it).

Should something happen as soon as you put in the stick, or only after going into Data Update?

You've got it to read photos?! I've been trying to get mine to recognise them for months - FAT32 stick, 4GB, 8.3 filenames, correct folder names - nothing, it just doesn't want to know.

10 hours ago, Mincey said:

You've got it to read photos?! I've been trying to get mine to recognise them for months - FAT32 stick, 4GB, 8.3 filenames, correct folder names - nothing, it just doesn't want to know.

It read some photos OK. As I recall, it was happy with the jpg images, but didn't recognise the png files. I can't be sure if this is a generic rule, or just a feature of the small number of files I tested with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 9:06 PM, Moleman said:

Have used their SD Cards and they work well. Put card in it works. Why not have them send you the USB stick (that is an option they offer), then the files should be in order and they should have used a USB that they think will work. 

I've tried this, they've sent me a USB but I get exactly the same result - "The data update could not be read". I don't think there's much else I can try from my side. Just a final question before giving up on this - are there any other USB ports I should be using for an update like this (I'm using the ones in the box in the central column)?

Would suggest a possible issue with the software/hardware in the car, if they have all the right files? At least they should refund if they cannot produce a working version.

Have used them myself and the products have worked they have many customers using their products, so which is more likely - they have sent a faulty usb or there is an issue with your software/hardware?

Just checking you have asked for the right version - checked this on the Nav system? Use the Lexus Map update page to check.

I sent them a photo of my my map version from the Setup/Navigation screen, and they responded with the files they made available for download, and subsequently sent me. They have already offered a refund if I can't get this to work (as now seems likely) and to be fair I would say that they have been very helpful, even if it hasn't produced a working update.

• 3 months later...

A mini-update about this. Toyotamapsonline have said that there is a Lexus fault associated with some versions of the map: https://toyotamaps.online/blog/lexus-issued-a-tsb-for-vehicles-with-navigation-software-issues 

As I have one of the versions mentioned, I'll follow up on this and see how far I get with Lexus.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I'm sure you've all been waiting for news about this, so here is the outcome.

I went to Lexus with this and they confirmed that it was a fault (as in the toyotamapsonline link above) and agreed to fix it for free. This involved removing the nav/entertainment system from the dash to get at the disc so that they could replace the map with a version that is updateable (but still an old version of the map, which is fair enough). 

Then I downloaded the latest maps from Satnavishop and it worked like a charm (using the same USB disc that failed previously).

The long wait is partly due to covid-related delays in getting it done, but mainly because I decided to wait for the recently-released version of the maps.

Kudos to Lexus Guildford for getting it done without any hassle, and to Satnavishop for the quick turnaround of the maps and licence key.

• Like 5