Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC500 or LC500h...?

Kevin Williams

Due to a serious accident several years ago. I drive very little, and have a couple of Battery cars, which I don't have to worry about trickle charging.

I love V8's and several years ago I had two LS400's, which were probably the most comfortable cars that I have ever owned, including several cars recently with air suspension.

I am thinking of buying an LC500. I am assuming that the LC500h would require less trickle charging of the Battery in the boot.

But I will probably buy an LC500 V8. Or would an LC500h be better for me...?

If I bought a V8. Is it easy to connect a trickle charger somewhere...? Thank you.

Before buying my V8,I had a LC500h for several days on demo.Whilst it was exceptionally nice and I was considering buying it,one drive of the V8 proved my initial desire for that model was correct. 
I have averaged over 29 mpg over the 10 months of ownership and the car slips effortlessly between lazing around town to spirited across country runs .The sound is of course now well documented!

It’s always personal choice and I would say both models are the same for giving a sense of occasion in their looks and interior ambience etc.

Regarding trickle charging the Battery in the boot,At the start of lockdown I attached my CTEK direct to the Battery just to bring it upto full charge once a week.It took less than 2 hours and was then disconnected although you could carefully close the boot as the rubber seals provide just enough give where the cable runs.There is a connector in the engine bay fuse box which is recommended for a charger as well.Seems there are differing opinions as to whether the charger should go direct to Battery but I have always done this with my Porsche and BMWs et al.

Good luck with your choice

AJ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Williams said:

I am thinking of buying an LC500. I am assuming that the LC500h would require less trickle charging of the battery in the boot.

Probably the opposite in fact. Not sure what 12v Battery they use in the 500h but typically Lexus hybrid vehicles have a smaller capacity 12v Battery than the petrol models because it isn't used to start the vehicle so they can save weight and cost. The downside is it doesn't last as long when the vehicle isn't being used.

43 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Probably the opposite in fact. Not sure what 12v battery they use in the 500h but typically Lexus hybrid vehicles have a smaller capacity 12v battery than the petrol models because it isn't used to start the vehicle so they can save weight and cost. The downside is it doesn't last as long when the vehicle isn't being used.

But conversely one wouldn't need to trickle charge the 12v in the hybrid, simply put the car into the Ready state for 20-30 mins once a week and let the traction Battery recharge the 12v. 

Should the traction Battery charge drop too low the petrol engine will cut in and quickly bring the charge level back up.

Personally, for a little used car I'd go for the V8 and permanently attach the CTEK....

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, the LC 500 V8 is the one that I will buy.

It's nearly 20 years since I have had a Lexus...

I shouldn't have waited this long...! I look forward to having an LC 500.

With an 18 gallon tank, I should get 450+ miles. I drive a lot slower since my helicopter accident... 

Thanks again

400 Rear 2.JPG

430 Front 2.JPG

V8 all the way. As one of the very last naturally aspirated V8s out there it will be worth a fortune in 10 years time....at least that is what I keep telling myself

7 hours ago, AJ500 said:

That’s a great pair of cars you had there.

Look forward to hearing you have acquired the LC,any specific car in mind?

AJ.

Thanks A.J. I will let the forum know when I have bought an LC 500. I like rear wheel steering and HUD.

KW

5 hours ago, MNMJ said:

V8 all the way. As one of the very last naturally aspirated V8s out there it will be worth a fortune in 10 years time....at least that is what I keep telling myself

Blimey...! I have never sold a car for more than I paid for it.

My local Range Rover and Jaguar dealer has often said to me that my middle name should be depreciation...!

16 hours ago, Kevin Williams said:

Thanks A.J. I will let the forum know when I have bought an LC 500. I like rear wheel steering and HUD.

KW

A.J. Can I please ask what model LC 500 you have owned for 10 months...?

I see that you also mention Porsche's and BMW's...?

KW

KW, I bought the V8 Sport model. I wanted the white or red paint with black leather/Alcantara  and did not want the base model as I love the forged larger wheels and carbon fibre roof. The rear steer and other Sport S additions were not a priority but I would have been quite happy if the right car had been around with those as well. I also had to have the Mark Levinson music system,which is better than Bose and Harmon Kardon which I had in my other cars.At the time there were limited cars available but ,at the present time,there appear to be even fewer unless you factory order.

This Lexus replaced my new BMW M2 Competition which I had ordered to ,in turn,replace a BMW M4.These cars are wickedly fast ,if that’s your thing,but with little sense of occasion or ownership pride.The Lexus is more my taste now with abundance of power but in a more relaxed manner.

In the recent past I have had Porsche Boxster,Cayman S, 911 C4S and the last of the Jag XKR supercharged.

My car looks like the one currently advertised at Lexus Nottingham.I have failed to master uploading pictures on the forums!

Good luck,you will not be disappointed.

A J.

On 9/27/2020 at 1:46 PM, AJ500 said:

KW, I bought the V8 Sport model. I wanted the white or red paint with black leather/Alcantara  and did not want the base model as I love the forged larger wheels and carbon fibre roof. The rear steer and other Sport S additions were not a priority but I would have been quite happy if the right car had been around with those as well. I also had to have the Mark Levinson music system,which is better than Bose and Harmon Kardon which I had in my other cars.At the time there were limited cars available but ,at the present time,there appear to be even fewer unless you factory order.

This Lexus replaced my new BMW M2 Competition which I had ordered to ,in turn,replace a BMW M4.These cars are wickedly fast ,if that’s your thing,but with little sense of occasion or ownership pride.The Lexus is more my taste now with abundance of power but in a more relaxed manner.

In the recent past I have had Porsche Boxster,Cayman S, 911 C4S and the last of the Jag XKR supercharged.

My car looks like the one currently advertised at Lexus Nottingham.I have failed to master uploading pictures on the forums!

A J.

AJ. I have had both the M2 Competition, and an M4 Convertible, and yes, I agree, they are different in many ways to a Lexus...!

I like your way of describing your Lexus, comparing it to these two...!

I currently have a Taycan 4S, and have just took delivery of the new Battery Honda e...

The LC 500 will be a 3rd car... and one that will probably be driven more than the other two...

I will be looking for a White LC 500 Sports Plus. I am going to buy one in November or December before Christmas.

I will let you know when I have bought one.

I have downloaded the LC 500's owner's manual.

I think the points in the engine compartment for the trickle charger, are on the passenger side...?

KW

KW,

Interesting current fleet you have.What a coincidence re the BMWs.

The car at Nottingham is a white Sport Plus I believe.The white really comes alive in the sun.Not sure how many dealers are carrying any unregistered cars as my dealer told me last year that they would possibly rely on factory orders for customers .

Yes,the under bonnet connection is on the passenger side.
Looking forward to hearing you have bought one.

A J.

On 9/27/2020 at 1:46 PM, AJ500 said:

A J.

A J. Although I live in Cornwall, both my M2 Competition and my M4 Convertible, came from BMW Edinburgh...

I will start looking for an LC 500 Sports Plus from mid November.

I have KSW1 on retention. I will put this reg on the LC 500. I have 1KSW on my Taycan 4S. My Honda e has a plate on that I bought for my wife, who unfortunately has been medically stopped from driving, she has MS.

I have been googling the Lexus Enform Remote. I presume you have it on your phone...? I see that it has a Driver Score...!

KW.

36 minutes ago, Kevin Williams said:

A J. Although I live in Cornwall, both my M2 Competition and my M4 Convertible, came from BMW Edinburgh...

I will start looking for an LC 500 Sports Plus from mid November.

I have KSW1 on retention. I will put this reg on the LC 500. I have 1KSW on my Taycan 4S. My Honda e has a plate on that I bought for my wife, who unfortunately has been medically stopped from driving, she has MS.

I have been googling the Lexus Enform Remote. I presume you have it on your phone...? I see that it has a Driver Score...!

KW.

A J. I see your post dated May 25th for White LC 500 Sport Plus Video...

I believe Lexus Nottingham have a 20 plate Sport + in white. It’s advertised at almost list but they will know that is way off realistic.

Is this the car still for sale now...?

KW.

According to the Lexus used car page it is for sale.

They know it will not fetch anything like the sticker price.Their sister branch just sold the red one,registered at the same time,to a new poster on here for less.I don’t know what it made but from the first year depreciation on mine,would suggest middle /late £70K.

I had not heard of Lexus Enform Remote but it would not be something I would entertain.

Give Nottingham a ring!

A J.

46 minutes ago, AJ500 said:

According to the Lexus used car page it is for sale.

They know it will not fetch anything like the sticker price.Their sister branch just sold the red one,registered at the same time,to a new poster on here for less.I don’t know what it made but from the first year depreciation on mine,would suggest middle /late £70K.

I had not heard of Lexus Enform Remote but it would not be something I would entertain.

Give Nottingham a ring!

A J.

Thanks AJ. So the Nottingham white one has been been for sale for several months, at least 4 months...?

I have used app's on my phone for Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover and Jaguar... I find many of their uses, helpful...!

KW

KW, Yes I believe it has been there that long. Not unusual as Lexus dealers appear less keen to make big reductions on their sole showroom/demo car until it is a few months old.Unlike BMW !

I had a shocking experience of a manufacturer App when I foolishly bought a brand new Jag XE S 3 litre supercharged 3 years ago.The dealer couldn’t get the App to work at the showroom,but no matter ,the engine blew on the second day so I waved the car goodbye and rejected it.
If the Nottingham car is available,I would anticipate a strong deal in your favour.

A J.

1 hour ago, AJ500 said:

KW, Yes I believe it has been there that long. Not unusual as Lexus dealers appear less keen to make big reductions on their sole showroom/demo car until it is a few months old.Unlike BMW !

I had a shocking experience of a manufacturer App when I foolishly bought a brand new Jag XE S 3 litre supercharged 3 years ago.The dealer couldn’t get the App to work at the showroom,but no matter ,the engine blew on the second day so I waved the car goodbye and rejected it.
If the Nottingham car is available,I would anticipate a strong deal in your favour.

A J.

A J. Thanks. It is a few months old...! I might ring Nottingham and make an offer... and if they accept a strong deal in my favour, I will have an even earlier Christmas present.

Sorry to hear that you had a 'bad' Jag. I have had several Jag's, a few F Type's including an SVR. The last two were 1st Edition I Pace's.

The Jag app was very good, it even showed every journey I made on google maps...

KW.

I phoned Nottingham and had a chat about the white one back in August - supposedly it had been sold subject to finance approval which the buyer was struggling with (not surprised at that price!). There's no way it will still be on 100 miles.

For reference that is the top spec model, with both options so it is a £93k car when new. I got mine last month (same spec, 2019 with 2000 miles on it) for £70,500, which judging by the prices on usedcars.lexus.co.uk was reasonable with two years free servicing thrown in too.

If you want to see what Lexus have nationally (just the V8) without the faff of doing the form, hopefully this link will work:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/lexus/lc?mkey=46-500017-200342&groupTrim=1&unitSystem=imperial&currency=GBP&useCustomModels=1&vehiclestatus=100||120||130&sort=price%3ADESC&atDistancePos=46-502023-506765%3A1&limiter=dkey46-502023-506765%3A10&model=2762||2763||2764&mcategory=all&kw_from=460&zip=TF2&radius=1609&manufacturer=31&max=8&view=list#result-tools-top

On 10/1/2020 at 2:22 PM, Stuart-S said:

I phoned Nottingham and had a chat about the white one back in August - supposedly it had been sold subject to finance approval which the buyer was struggling with (not surprised at that price!). There's no way it will still be on 100 miles.

For reference that is the top spec model, with both options so it is a £93k car when new. I got mine last month (same spec, 2019 with 2000 miles on it) for £70,500, which judging by the prices on usedcars.lexus.co.uk was reasonable with two years free servicing thrown in too.

If you want to see what Lexus have nationally (just the V8) without the faff of doing the form, hopefully this link will work:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/lexus/lc?mkey=46-500017-200342&groupTrim=1&unitSystem=imperial&currency=GBP&useCustomModels=1&vehiclestatus=100||120||130&sort=price%3ADESC&atDistancePos=46-502023-506765%3A1&limiter=dkey46-502023-506765%3A10&model=2762||2763||2764&mcategory=all&kw_from=460&zip=TF2&radius=1609&manufacturer=31&max=8&view=list#result-tools-top

Thanks Stuart for your interesting post. I have decided not to ring Nottingham. All be it that I live in Cornwall. I have bought cars from most places in the UK, including a Bentayga from Belfast...! I have purchased two Mercs and five BMW's from Edinburgh. They were all driven down by the two guys I dealt with, nice couple of guys...

www.easternwestern.co.uk/about/history.php   

Both the Merc and BMW Dealerships have been great to deal with. Unlike many of the other Dealers. Who's sales guys want to pressure you for a quick deal...! Eastern Western are privately owned. They are also Lexus Dealers for Scotland. I have spoken to their Edinburgh branch and I have first refusal on any LC 500 that becomes available to purchase.

www.easternwestern.co.uk/lexus 

This particular video review convinced me to have an LC 500. The reviewer says..."I am speechless...!" And also the posts from the Lexus Forum also convinced me to have the V8...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Syy4frKKbA&t=411s 

I drive very little, due to health issues, following an accident i had flying my helicopter... I was coming up to 1,000 hours of personal flying, and my tail rotors broke up...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-13832785 

I will definitely be adding an LC 500 to my two current cars, before Christmas. Hopefully it comes down from Edinburgh or Glasgow... And hopefully it will be a Sport or a Sport Plus. My Taycan 4S has rear wheel steering and is great to drive... So, I will be happy with any LC 500...

I am waiting photos of the white one at Glasgow...

KW