Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Daylight Running Lights

My last car was a Navara to which I fitted DRLs from Philips. They worked by sensing the voltage drop from the Battery on startup.

They are supposed to work with stop start and hybrid systems as well-but do they?

I'd like to fit DRLs on my RX400H for safety reasons, so does anybody know a system that actually works? Preferably something that does not need extensive wiring mods?

I don`t have them on my GS, but I like the Volvo inspired idea of being seen by others moments prior to your vehicle being seen if it did not have them.

Sadly many manufacturers only wired them to be seen from the front leading to many motorists thinking they had some rear lighting in poor driving conditions. They were never intended to be a substitute for standard vehicle lighting.

I always drive with my dipped headlamps on thus ensuring that I can seen both front and rear.

So, my answer to your question David, you don`t need them if you use your standard vehicle lighting.  

• Like 1

You may be able to find a combined DRL and fog light unit for the 400h that are direct replacements for the original fog lights.

However, if not, this is the best alternative - switchback LEDs that double as DRL and turn indicator.

Sorcerer uses two relays in this one but there is a way of doing it with just one relay, so let me know if you want it and I'll draw out a simple circuit diagram for you. And like he says, don't worry about how it initially looks because I know he made a nice neat job of it later.

• Like 2

To those clever people who understand electricity and the black smoke that lives in electrical cables waiting for a wiring mistake to be made to be released:

Which fuse would be the best to take a low current ignition controlled switching feed to a drl control box.  Preferably under bonnet, as it's easier!  Something that is live all the time the car is moving.

I fitted DRL's to my Celsior simply using the kit from ECP and lights from eBay.  The wiring couldn't be simpler, two from the little control, one to positive and the other to earth and one wire joining a side light wire and the other wires to the new lights, very eady. They come on with the engine start and turn off when the headlights are switched on.

Sorcerer used two relays but it's possible and even easier to use just one - here's a rough sketch of what you need:

196080970_1relaydrls.thumb.jpg.13de9cd99653d220d09086ac6edd8fc7.jpg

An ignition switched feed is taken to Pin 30 (common). Pin 87A is the 'normally closed' contact, which means that under normal conditions, when the ignition is switched on, power will flow from Pin 30 to Pin 87A and out to illuminate the DRLs.

Because the DRLs must switch off when you switch the side/tail lights on, you need to tee into the positive feed to one of the sidelight bulbs and connect it to Pin 85.

Pins 85 and 86 are the relay coil, so when Pin 85 goes positive as you switch on the sidelights, the coil energises and pulls the relay contact away from Pin 87A to Pin 87, therefore breaking the conductive path to the DRLs and switching them off.

I can't remember which ignition switched fuse I used but you may be able to tell from the photo below - I think it was the one on the bottom row, which I think is IGCT No.5 on the drawing. Check it with a multimeter first.

drl.thumb.jpg.9a295909ec0ab91f26f9ddd1b2de6705.jpg

2020-09-29.thumb.png.f9ca053f010d0990864b22867f0a5de5.png

• Like 1

Well, I did what I should have done first.  Checked where Philips bar type drls could be fitted on the car...and they can't.

The slots on the grill are too small for the LED units, and too far from the edge of the car to be legal (>400mm)

The only option seems to be to find a combined foglight/dr (other than the turn signal mod)l, and there seem to be plenty out there (mainly Chinese, unfortunately), but none that are listed as fitting my car.

Back to the drawing board.

5 hours ago, Superduner said:

Well, I did what I should have done first.  Checked where Philips bar type drls could be fitted on the car...and they can't.

The slots on the grill are too small for the led units, and too far from the edge of the car to be legal (>400mm)

The only option seems to be to find a combined foglight/dr (other than the turn signal mod)l, and there seem to be plenty out there (mainly Chinese, unfortunately), but none that are listed as fitting my car.

Back to the drawing board.

David, why don`t you revisit the question of "why do I want them in the first place ?"

I'm old.  I'm knackered. I'll forget to turn the lights on every time I get in the car (and off when I get out).  With headlights on, French drivers flash you all the time.  I live in the country, with narrow roads, so I need something to make my dark blue car a bit more visible.

Yadda yadda yadda.......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superduner said:

I'm old.  I'm knackered. I'll forget to turn the lights on every time I get in the car (and off when I get out).  With headlights on, French drivers flash you all the time.  I live in the country, with narrow roads, so I need something to make my dark blue car a bit more visible.

Yadda yadda yadda.......

I am really sorry I asked the question David.

You see, I am old and I am knackered and one day I might forget to turn my Dipped Headlamps on.

If I`m ever down Toulouse way again I will give you a swift and friendly flash on my Dipped Headlamps---if I remember !

8 hours ago, Superduner said:

The only option seems to be to find a combined foglight/dr (other than the turn signal mod)l, and there seem to be plenty out there (mainly Chinese, unfortunately),

There's nothing wrong with the turn signal mod or buying from China. I got my turn signal LEDs from China and they worked perfectly well for the nine months we had them before trading in the car - they may still be working yet for all I know.

And to be honest, I think they are a better bet than the fog light option due to the extra height, which obviously makes them more noticeable.

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

There's nothing wrong with the turn signal mod or buying from China. I got my turn signal LEDs from China and they worked perfectly well for the nine months we had them before trading in the car - they may still be working yet for all I know.

And to be honest, I think they are a better bet than the fog light option due to the extra height, which obviously makes them more noticeable.

We do seem to get this idea that online items from China are somehow duff, strange really because most electrical gadgets and other items bought in the high street shops are Chinese and we do that regularly!

• Like 1

My view tends to be that even if brands like Osram and Philips are made in China, they are made to higher (let's say European) standards.

Knock offs with no known brand name are possibly thrown together in a backstreet workshop using cheaper and potentially lower quality parts.

Believe me, I've seen it happen (in the Middle East, but it's the same principle)