Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Move from IS200 to IS300?

Shizukesa

45 minutes ago, lexus22 said:

Bought it at 50k, now at 182k, used for everyday business, engine appears to be absolutely bomb proof, still as smooth and fast as day l bought it. 

It says a lot of good things about its owner during that time Chris.

1 hour ago, lexus22 said:

Bought it at 50k, now at 182k, used for everyday business, engine appears to be absolutely bomb proof, still as smooth and fast as day l bought it. 

That's impressive. Really miss the quality and refinement of the first-gen IS. 

Back when perfection really was pursued relentlessly  😉:whistling1:

I change engine oil every 10k, never put it into sport mode as fast enough without it, use the manual shift buttons on motorway driving, such a lovely car to drive. Had slightly lower springs fitted last year which has improved the handling a lot, but standard otherwise. Amazes me how the paintwork is still as new!

To be honest, reckon it would be hard to find a decent is300 now, at least 16 years old! But if you find one, don't hesitate. I've owned a 1986 Lotus for 28 years, will never find another in same condition.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lexus22 said:

To be honest, reckon it would be hard to find a decent is300 now, at least 16 years old! But if you find one, don't hesitate. I've owned a 1986 Lotus for 28 years, will never find another in same condition.

I would agree, but the automatic gearbox is holding me back. A manual to me is just an absolute must to enjoy the car fully. I think I'll head down the supercharged route with a 145mm pulley.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:14 PM, lexus22 said:

Drive a 300  before you start dropping money into an endless pit.

I've been looking but there's only one for sale on AT atm with 128k. I'd rather a lower mileage car if possible.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009083481685?model=IS 300&radius=1500&make=LEXUS&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=bs482qx&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Very nice car, even has the satnav, shame not the 18inch alloys and areo body kit though. I think it's overpriced with 128k, maybe if was 70k would be more like it. Does say it has a full service history, if by a main dealer then that's worth paying a bit more. Go and take a look at it, have a drive, it's nothing like driving an is200.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, Shizukesa said:

STOP IT! I just decided to *keep my 200 and now you're forcing me back into temptation mode 😄

Well, you guys and a couple of others have done it... all convinced me. I'm currently saving for an IS300. Going to start the search in the new year.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 8:55 PM, lexus22 said:

When you put the autobox into manual mode and use the tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel, ....😁

Crest motorsport have a manual swap kit for the IS300 (J160 gearbox and bell housing adaptor) so I'll be doing that eventually 🙂

Gotta find myself a decent IS300 first.

Hopefully someone here will upgrade to a newer Lexus and part ways with their well-looked after example 😄

On 9/28/2020 at 1:59 PM, Shizukesa said:

I see, I see! I wish I could afford to run 2 cars. I'd have a SC IS200 for fun and a stock IS300 as a daily driver. Right now, as a student, I just can't afford to do that. I don't really want an auto as my only car. I think I would really miss a manual. I only thought it wouldn't matter with an IS300 because I could always drop in a supra manual box later on.

Also, I know you didn't mean any offence, don't worry!

Manual swapped IS300 here, so far i love it but ive not done many miles on it. Ive used the r154 from a JZX100 and swapped the shifter housing from a JZX110 or Toyota Verossa so its sits central in the shifter boot.

1 thing i will say is the r154 is noisey, very very noisey. Ive added sound deadening to the trans tunnel and i can still hear it whining over the 4" exhaust and turbo and the gearbox is brand new unit from factory. Also very clunky shifts but i feel it adds a kind of sporty feel to it. 

I had always been a die-hard manual fan, but wanted the extra HP and toys of the IS300 over the 200, test-drove both at the time. In my 2002 300, the auto gearbox is still silky smooth, an absolute joy. On twisty roads I use the 'manual' option, which is slow-ish to change but still good fun. PWR mode gives a bit more oomph by holding the gears longer before changing. Snow mode is absolutely pointless (at least on standard tyres), you just go sideways more slowly than you would otherwise. (In the 16 years I have had the car, I have only once turned off the traction control, and then for only about 10 mins, after seeing photos on LOC of the crashes other people had).

I would agree that smaller-engined cars are better with manual box, (enjoyed a manual 1.3 Yaris as a courtesy car, and loved my 1.3 manual Corolla) but I think the IS300 gives you a reasonable compromise between relaxation and control. You do spend a lot on tyres, though.

Between 2003 & 2005 I did 85K. in my IS 300 & used the manual option for driving down the Alps when returning from Italy.

It never missed a beat & got c. 30k. out of the rear tyres.

Tel

14 hours ago, IS300KK said:

Snow mode is absolutely pointless (at least on standard tyres), you just go sideways more slowly than you would otherwise. (In the 16 years I have had the car, I have only once turned off the traction control, and then for only about 10 mins, after seeing photos on LOC of the crashes other people had).

My 83 year old father looks after my IS300 now. I don't let him go out when it's slippy.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:45 AM, rob_clio172 said:

Manual swapped IS300 here, so far i love it but ive not done many miles on it. Ive used the r154 from a JZX100 and swapped the shifter housing from a JZX110 or Toyota Verossa so its sits central in the shifter boot.

1 thing i will say is the r154 is noisey, very very noisey. Ive added sound deadening to the trans tunnel and i can still hear it whining over the 4" exhaust and turbo and the gearbox is brand new unit from factory. Also very clunky shifts but i feel it adds a kind of sporty feel to it. 

Crest Motorsport do a manual conversion kit using the J160 gearbox from the IS200 and an adaptor plate 🙂

https://crestmotorsportnw.co.uk/products/is300-manual-conversion-j160?_pos=1&_sid=5d19c5f5b&_ss=r

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shizukesa said:

Crest Motorsport do a manual conversion kit using the J160 gearbox from the IS200 and an adaptor plate 🙂

https://crestmotorsportnw.co.uk/products/is300-manual-conversion-j160?_pos=1&_sid=5d19c5f5b&_ss=r

Yeh that wouldnt be a bad shout if sticking to standard power or a small power increase. Tbh if sticking to standard power i would probably plough that money into other areas of the car just depends how bad you would want a manual.

10 minutes ago, lexus22 said:

Let's face it, these cars are now old, is it really worth spending excess money on them? Nice as they are, not a good investment.

Definitely not a good financial investment, but very enjoyable as an alternative to BMW / Merc / Audi.