Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400H vs RX450H boot space?

Hello All,

The ongoing theft of cats on RX400H's has put me off and I am considering upping the budget to early 450H money, as the theft rate of cats seems massively lower. I was wondering if anyone who has owned both could comment on the boot space of the 450H. Is it any bigger than the 400H?

Thanks.

• Like 1

It's a little bigger. You get about 1cm extra in length and whilst the 450h vehicle is 4cm wider than the 400h, the narrowest part of the boot up to 15cm wider because the rear suspension is different and doesn't intrude into the boot space as much.

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, SlowV6 said:

Hello All,

The ongoing theft of cats on RX400H's has put me off and I am considering upping the budget to early 450H money, as the theft rate of cats seems massively lower. I was wondering if anyone who has owned both could comment on the boot space of the 450H. Is it any bigger than the 400H?

Thanks.

What's the reason rx450h catalitic converter has less chances being stolen?

5 hours ago, sergeigto said:

Top boot liner is rx400h 

Liner at the bottom is from rx450h (2009)

Screenshot_20201002-101630.jpg

Thanks. Marginal gain! Another member mentioned the suspension towers are less intrusive too so the volume should be a bit bigger.

2 hours ago, sergeigto said:

What's the reason rx450h catalitic converter has less chances being stolen?

I am not sure why other than anecdotal evidence. I have also asked this. The RX400h cat is very exposed having had a look underneath one the other day 

3 hours ago, SlowV6 said:

I am not sure why other than anecdotal evidence. I have also asked this. The RX400h cat is very exposed having had a look underneath one the other day 

Supposedly the precious metal content is higher in the older cats so is therefore worth more money. It is a little more difficult to get at the cat on the series III but no enough to stop it being stolen if someone wanted to.

• 2 years later...

I know an old post but wanted to add my 2cents to anyone comparing the two. Especially now due to increased popularity in London as we have the imminent ULEZ expansion.

I own both RX400H (2005) 215k miles & RX450h (2011) 75k miles

I prefer the boot space in the 400h. It has several extra compartments under the boot floor as the spare full sized wheel is under the car.

The rx450h has none as there is a space saving wheel under the boot floor instead.

I found the extra space in the RX400h compartments invaluable for all the loose items worth keeping permanently in the car, such as; spare jump start pack, first aid kit, wheel lock nuts, torch, cutlery/cups, kids play items, hats & gloves & scarfs, medicine, small sports items such as frisbee, pet items such as dog ball, dog lead etc..

This leaves the boot completely free for boxes to hold your regular shopping or other large items.

It's just one of many reasons Im keeping the 400h as it's more practical for everyday use. 

• Like 2

Also I had my Catalytic converter stolen from the 400h. After replacement I invested in a cage and plate, thieves returned twice to steal again at 2am-4am (myself and neighbours observed the CCTV and laughed) as they drove on. It cost £300 and the lads in harrow west London who installed it were very thorough.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sumtingwong said:

Also I had my Catalytic converter stolen from the 400h. After replacement I invested in a cage and plate, thieves returned twice to steal again at 2am-4am (myself and neighbours observed the CCTV and laughed) as they drove on. It cost £300 and the lads in harrow west London who installed it were very thorough.

Hi Chris,  was that these guys:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264564924596?hash=item3d994c60b4:g:81sAAOSwk2Je4piT&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8CEqFK3yrZv7hg9A%2FwWBM7hPFSg2iuz1c0QOyUYDwFmqdHx%2By69FK4e4lTpw4KtKObG65TkT3iROYZ78238aQMqDTmijJ55EmJh8GNYyp189Z6bZ1tcNFgY0hUI6ktzVoNnbiCRVjAr%2BuA9XBwFL4fdEo9npRSAFCypF5vpo%2BVlapxWsHrI3T0gGR67hw2KR%2BZ4bITO%2FCFgR37J9mcSPHGQkD9ajwgzHYSqjzDHTo463%2Bn6sr73t58blen0xmw4NXotc30%2FiGWUpcQQ6RL19LVak0A%2F5%2FNQ9qyaOABMm6kGi9Vl0Dc6xLQNoqa6SehBmOg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMqrng7Ixi

I've been thinking about using them myself, so your experience of them is helpful.

55 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

That should rattle, creak, and make all sorts of noises...

Just get rid of this thieve magnet, and weld in the muffler instead ( and make a few extra quid by selling the cat for scrap)

On 5/29/2023 at 11:25 AM, sergeigto said:

That should rattle, creak, and make all sorts of noises...

Just get rid of this thieve magnet, and weld in the muffler instead ( and make a few extra quid by selling the cat for scrap)

Ordinarily I might consider that if the cat ever got stolen, but it would probably invalidate the Lexus extended warranty..

12 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Ordinarily I might consider that if the cat ever got stolen, but it would probably invalidate the Lexus extended warranty..

Yep , not an option for cars covered by warranty 

On 5/29/2023 at 10:20 AM, Bluemarlin said:

Hi. Yes it was mrcarmax.

Had it installed during COVID so around 2-3 years ago. Personally have not had any issue with it. Some sound is noticeable from the cage movement when going over speed bumps but not from the physical welded and bolted steel plate. I'm going to go back now that I have recent bought an additional rx450h and have the same done. I would recommend a mechanic look over the exhaust before hand as any work required is going to be impossible after its installation unless removed completely. Actually I think it has protected the exhaust from many elements. I use the car regularly.

Also just had the scorpion X immobilizer installed in the 450h. Very pleased with results. This was from a separate merchant, trackershop found via Google.

• Thanks 1

Comparing boot liners is very misleading. The NX appears to be only slightly smaller than the 400h. In fact the NX is a lot smaller. The seats in the RX400h can be moved forward. The under storage area is also bigger. If you want a BIG boot then buy the 450h-L!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links