Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

I have a noisy outer CV joint on the offside so I need to replace the driveshaft

has anyone any experience of the job and  how much of the suspension needs to be dismantled to get the shaft out?.

thanks 

I,ve had a start on the job, I got the 4 bolts out the back of the hub, removed the 32mm nut of the shaft and knocked the shaft back so the hub should come off

however it is damn tight, I have tried with a slide hammer but it does not want to move,

when i turn the shaft by hand the bearings seem to rotate smoothly

so don,t really want to destroy the bearings,

I am wondering is it normal for CV joints to fail on the gs I cant get a proper test of the CV while it is in the hub .

I have a set of electronic chassis ears so i placed a microphone next to each rear wheel and when on the road the nearside was quiet with a slight click but the offside has a terrible roar which increases with speed and also the clicking is louder, so because the hub bearings appear to be smooth i have decided to check the CV,

however as mentioned removing the hub to get a better check on the CV is proving difficult without destroying the bearings.

could the tyre make the roaring noise, I did think it was tyre noise originally but the tyre appears to be ok, it is a michelin Pilot sport and cannot find any lumps or bumps on it and tread looks ok.

Edited by alanann
text

Yes I decided to recheck the diagnosis before i destroyed the hub bearings so I boxed it up and swapped the rear tyres side to side and gave it a run.

the nearside was still quiet but the drive side had reduced to a slight rubbing, nothing like it was so it may be the tyre wear does not agree with being on the offside.

I am going to give it another run tomorrow and see where we go from there.