Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need a review / recommendation

is200 Newbie

We (wife and I) currently have 2 cars, IS250 and a small convertible Tigra. My wife wont drive the IS, the Tigra is hers. She keeps saying the IS is too big but i think she is scared she will bang it (its my baby and its currently spotless !!)

We are probably looking to reduce down to one car soon and i would like to remain with Lexus although have been looking around at other brands but like the reliability of these and the fact that not a lot of people around where we live have them 🙂 

I have been looking at the CT for a while, i know coming from the IS it (what people have said) is slower but that does not bother me anymore. We had one for a day a while back from Lexus while the IS was in for two recall's and it was nice overall, it did feel a bit slower and the one we had was a lot noisier (road noise). The fact it is smaller and is the brand i like is swaying me to stay with Lexus. So inevitably i have a few questions ...

I will be looking for one around the 2015 model, 1.8 or above, the spec i am not concerned about (don't know what's the best one for this year). Is high mileage an issue on these. What considerations should i look for on the Battery, what has the most effect on the Battery, the age of the car or the mileage covered (this will be my first hybrid so don't know a lot about them).

Is there a particular model / year people would recommend and any issues from ownership of them would be good to know. Do the callipers still present a problem like the IS's do

thanks in advance

We've had ours for just 11 months, and covered a mere 9,000 miles in that period.  Previously we had a 2010 Volvo v50 SE Lux Diesel which I intended to keep forever, and I was covering 16,000 miles plus each year - sadly an injury made it difficult for me to change gear, so I had to go for an automatic.  We chose a 2015 ct200 hybrid premier.  The only two things that I missed from the Volvo was the sunroof and the size of the boot.  The mpg is also lower, but it is petrol.  REAL consumption (as opposed to that showing in the car) has proved to range from 46-56 mpg depending on weather and road conditions.  The Pandemic meant that it didn't go on the road for 4 of the 9 months, so it is low mileage for me - However, apart from the road noise it has been a real delight.  It's due for a service and MOT next week, and I'm hoping for a good result.  We do have a service plan in place.  

Others on this forum will confirm that this is a great car and most seem to say it provides trouble free motoring.  Oh, I should have said that my insurance premium rose by about £50 this year and the call centre person told me it is because it is a luxury brand - but so was the Volvo, so perhaps there could be another reason.

• Like 1

Thanks John, I do usually shop around.  We just have the one car, and I need business cover with an allowance of around 16k miles per annum.  I usually opt for legal cover on top.  Had I known my mileage would have been reduced as a consequence of the pandemic, I could probably have made quite a saving.   Your Merc is almost a classic car isn't it?

1 minute ago, Barry A said:

Thanks John, I do usually shop around.  We just have the one car, and I need business cover with an allowance of around 16k miles per annum.  I usually opt for legal cover on top.  Had I known my mileage would have been reduced as a consequence of the pandemic, I could probably have made quite a saving.   Your Merc is almost a classic car isn't it?

Thanks Barry.

It is a long way short of Classic Status--40 years old, to avoid Road Tax.

Some insurance companies call cars classics from 20 years old.

Mine is 18 on Jan 3 2021.Just turned over to 247,000,but not really moved it since returning from Spain in early December 2019.

We have had our CT (Premium/Tech Pack) for 2 weeks now. On the whole very pleased, Wife wouldn't drive my old Infiniti Q50 as it was "too big". (But she did use to drive my Infiniti EX30, and even our old Lexus RX300, go figure). 

Anyhow my only comments about the CT. I miss not having full leather and power seats. The road noise is noticeable, I think partly because you don't have the engine noise. The ride is quite firm, even compared to my Infiniti which was a Sport model on much larger, lower profile wheels.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links