Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC 500 engine problems

aalmos

Hi all!

I had a serious engine problem with my LC 500 recently. 

The car stopped reacting to the gas paddle while on the road, the engine had some hiccups, and then it stopped with an error message. After that the car wouldn't start. Upon attempting to start the engine, the crankshaft was spinning, but it wouldn't start. I managed to shoot a video of this (watch here). I also managed to shoot a video when the engine stopped working (watch here). After a couple of hours of rest, the engine somehow started and I was able to park the car in a safe spot.

At the garage they said it was a fuel pressure problem, and they replaced the fuel pump (actually I was eligible for a replacement due to a recall).

Since then the engine still feels unhealthy:
  • I think its startup is longer than it used to be.
  • In neutral, it produces a noticeable rattling noise in the background.
  • When accelerating on lower speeds, the once super clear engine note is now accompanied by a rhythmic deep overtone (a bit like as if it was a diesel engine).

There are no error codes, so the dealer wouldn't do anything.

Any ideas? I suspect that it wasn't the fuel pump, I really want to get this fixed, before the car stops on the motorway.

From your description it sounds similar to the reports of engines stopping from the USA forum ,which was caused by the fuel pump.

My car has been awaiting a replacement pump due to a worldwide recall since early 2020 and I was told recently that the parts are still not available.

What mileage are you on ?

This sort of fault is the worst. You know it is not right but there is not anything glaringly wrong as such they can diagnose.... Really unlucky. Do they recognise it is not right but don't know what to do? I would try another Lexus branch. 

I contacted the local Lexus HQ for complaints. Despite this car is virtually brand new, I had to spend the last 1+ month with weekly visits to the dealership. I had a front brake replacement, realigned wheels, the fuel pump / engine fault thing. The attitude of the dealership is very dissatisfying either.

• Sad 1

Silly question but have you tried switching the type of fuel you're currently using? after owning 3 types of Lexus's i've noticed some fuel types makes them run a bit sluggish and harsher engine noise.. best ones i've noticed is Esso 97 runs more smoother and less noise and best engines pickup, Shell 95 runs ok but slightly noisier engine noise and Vpower 99 runs smoother and less nosier engine compared to shell 95 but not better than Esso 97. if you already haven't, maybe try switching fuel brands and see if engine behaves differently.

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Where are you located?

I'm in Hungary now, but I live in Switzerland.

3 hours ago, noby76 said:

Silly question but have you tried switching the type of fuel you're currently using? after owning 3 types of Lexus's i've noticed some fuel types makes them run a bit sluggish and harsher engine noise.. best ones i've noticed is Esso 97 runs more smoother and less noise and best engines pickup, Shell 95 runs ok but slightly noisier engine noise and Vpower 99 runs smoother and less nosier engine compared to shell 95 but not better than Esso 97. if you already haven't, maybe try switching fuel brands and see if engine behaves differently.

I've been using fuel from the same 2 stations, both are 100 octane performance fuels. I've only noticed this strange change in the engine sound after the issue popped up, I think it's not correlated with the fuel I use.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links