Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MPG or what!

Mudbutler

Feeling fulfilled and, if I'm honest, slightly smug - first let me tell you a story...

It was a dark and stormy night, well actually it was last November when I bought my LC, just couldn't wait for the good weather, just had to buy it!
We always enjoy a great road trip and our favourite destination is Scotland. You can imagine how much we were looking forward to talking the LC for a tour.
Finally, last week we managed to get away, I have to say it was amazing, taking a true GT across mountain passes and straight open roads.

We covered just over 1200 miles, not quite the NC500 but all the places we love none the less.
As you can imagine, with a car needing regular fill ups, we planned a little to make sure we weren't caught short.
Previous we hadn't bothered so much as we've toured around in a diesel BMW....

So we planed for 20/25 mpg based on fairly spirited driving, which we did.
Imagine my surprise when the final average for the whole trip came out at - wait for it - 35.5mpg, even reaching 39.1mpg on one of the days.

So, as well as having a wonderful time roaring through the Glens in a big and soulful V8, we even saved on our fuel budget - can't wait for our next road trip.

20200923_122025.jpg

• Like 7

Now that’s impressive. I pride myself on getting very good mpg figures from all our cars but that is going to take some beating.

We we’re thinking of a similar trip at some time but were  not sure about some of the roads,eg surface and width,going by some comments on another forum.
A J.

Yes, very good. I only manage about 29mpg on a good long run. Did you check this by brim-to-brim measurement or is this from the car's readout? I have had mine since Feb 18 and my real (measured by actual litres and mileage) mpg overall has been 24.6. The car computer gives about 4% to 5% better mileage than actual.

On 9/29/2020 at 10:34 AM, malcolmw said:

Yes, very good. I only manage about 29mpg on a good long run. Did you check this by brim-to-brim measurement or is this from the car's readout? I have had mine since Feb 18 and my real (measured by actual litres and mileage) mpg overall has been 24.6. The car computer gives about 4% to 5% better mileage than actual.

Entirely unscientific Malcolm, just the onboard reading. I will say that we planned on fuelling around £50 per day when £40 filled to the brim.

On 9/29/2020 at 9:28 AM, AJ500 said:

Now that’s impressive. I pride myself on getting very good mpg figures from all our cars but that is going to take some beating.

We we’re thinking of a similar trip at some time but were  not sure about some of the roads,eg surface and width,going by some comments on another forum.
A J.

Yes, I know what you mean. Although there were a couple of sections of single track with passing places, we deliberately stuck to A roads where possible. Road quality? Some roughness, similar to our Lincolnshire roads, don’t remember any potholes at all 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

i posted on here last year too, i had a London to North scotland trip - 1 tank, 600+ miles. i cleared 41mpg. :)

10 gears is something else. 
the optimal seems ot be at about 66mph, where its in 10th (less and it drops to 9th.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Excellent Aaron.How was it measured ?

On the trip computer (filled up, reset, drove for 12 hours) .
if i recall, when i filled up i calculated the 'real' mpg based on fuel i put in t be about 39mpg if i recall. it was certainly slightly less. but then, it was different pump.

on the way home i had a slightly faster return home, mpg was indicated at 39mpg, and the fuel tank was showing empty! but when i filled up at about 660miles (yes, thats 660 on one tank) it still had about 7 litres in it, based on the refill. 

* also thats with shared driving with the missus. and everytime i got back in the car it had dropped! shes not as soft a foot as i am)

• Like 1

That is really excellent fuel consumption over a significant distance. It suggests to me that the vehicle has been designed with; outstanding drag coefficient, excellent power to weight ratio and ideal gearing.

Oh,and I imagine that the guy in the Driver`s seat, chipped in his six penneth, as well. Congratulations Aaron.

Gentlemen, as a new owner, whenever it finally arrives!, see my post in Wheel repair. I too, will be more than happy to get even 500 miles on a tank. I have had several electric cars over the last few years, mainly because of not having to fill them up...!

Gordon, I see you bought your Sport + on 24th Sept... and you have probably filled yours up many times. Reading your posts you have done several miles in yours already...?

How many miles per tank full, do you think you have been achieving...?

On 9/28/2020 at 8:11 PM, Mudbutler said:

Feeling fulfilled and, if I'm honest, slightly smug - first let me tell you a story...

It was a dark and stormy night, well actually it was last November when I bought my LC, just couldn't wait for the good weather, just had to buy it!
We always enjoy a great road trip and our favourite destination is Scotland. You can imagine how much we were looking forward to talking the LC for a tour.
Finally, last week we managed to get away, I have to say it was amazing, taking a true GT across mountain passes and straight open roads.

We covered just over 1200 miles, not quite the NC500 but all the places we love none the less.
As you can imagine, with a car needing regular fill ups, we planned a little to make sure we weren't caught short.
Previous we hadn't bothered so much as we've toured around in a diesel BMW....

So we planed for 20/25 mpg based on fairly spirited driving, which we did.
Imagine my surprise when the final average for the whole trip came out at - wait for it - 35.5mpg, even reaching 39.1mpg on one of the days.

So, as well as having a wonderful time roaring through the Glens in a big and soulful V8, we even saved on our fuel budget - can't wait for our next road trip.

20200923_122025.jpg

You must be driving on Eco/Normal mode if you hammer it a bit MPG won’t stay that high, yesterday I drove to m3 from London and come back with my RCF and Rev it really well in sport+/Manuel using paddle shifters and it dropped to 16mpg and have to full the tank again lol 

Have you ever checked the range when you fill the tank? When I do the range shows 216miles

I have had my fuel computer average set for the past 2500 miles and manually  double checked by fill to fill calculation and recorded a consistent 29.3 mpg.

That equates to approx 527 miles range.

Mixed driving with plenty of town use so I am pleased with that.

A J.