Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox fluid and Radiator change time questions

So I am finally getting around to changing the radiator as a precaution as recommended - I am also considering changing the gearbox oil as I am at 86,000 now and was also told that was a good idea (but equally others have said to leave it) so I was wondering if anyone can point me to the exact radiator I need and what fluid (and how much) and is there a filter/gasket to get as well? are there any hidden surprises awaiting me and is there any hoses on the radiator that I should change or do the ones that are already there be ok?

6 hours ago, BMCWP said:

So I am finally getting around to changing the radiator as a precaution as recommended - I am also considering changing the gearbox oil as I am at 86,000 now and was also told that was a good idea (but equally others have said to leave it) so I was wondering if anyone can point me to the exact radiator I need and what fluid (and how much) and is there a filter/gasket to get as well? are there any hidden surprises awaiting me and is there any hoses on the radiator that I should change or do the ones that are already there be ok?

At 85k I wouldn't change my a AT fluid unless it was dark and smells burnt, a shame they stopped putting a dipstick on later cars!  The rubber hoses to the radiator can be difficult to remove from the transmission metal pipes but once you've got them off they go back easily.  I only replaced mine because one was split but if they look ok they should be alright, unless you replace them for peace of mind.  OEM is the way to go for a radiator if you can afford it, there are plenty of non OEM ones but many won't fit a UK car without adaptions which isn't ideal.  You'll also need 5 litres of Toyota ready mixed red coolant.  The foam in-between the radiator and AC condenser will fall apart but I've always just left it off.  This is how confusing aftermarket can be, both LS430 radiators but slightly different, the top one with the nozzle on the top far right will fit properly but the bottom one won't because it doesn't have it so would need adapting. And some now don't have radiator caps.

RADIATOR-FOR-LEXUS-LS-430-LS430-43-32v.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 11:54 PM, BMCWP said:

changing the gearbox oil as I am at 86,000 now and was also told that was a good idea 

As per The-Acre comment when it is dark and smells like burnt fish its probably not so good for the auto-box.  When I got my current LS it was 132K with that smell, so did a full replace (having the torque converters sucked dry).  

Should be able to get it done for between £180 - £200.

I am now at just over 70K with the new oil and it is looking okay (starting to look a bit red, but not brown and has no smell), so you should be okay for a while.

I have heard people saying a full replace removes the small debris particles that may help the gear box engage surfaces,but my view is the cleaner a liquid the less wear to any mechanical interfaces.  

I noticed a small improvement in gear changes (the 400 not as smooth as the 430 ), but other than that just seemed like the most cost effective way to deal with ATF over a 5 to 6 year period.

• Like 1

I may just leave it alone then and stick to the radiator again just as a precaution as mentioned here on site. My mechanic thinks I am mad as he can't see any faults with it but I pointed him to the various threads and he will do it once I get the parts. Biggest issue I have is sourcing one that will deliver to Northern Ireland as most won't even answer my emails! 😕 if somebody has a part number I'll check around my local motor factors and see if they can get one. 

2 hours ago, BMCWP said:

I may just leave it alone then and stick to the radiator again just as a precaution as mentioned here on site. My mechanic thinks I am mad as he can't see any faults with it but I pointed him to the various threads and he will do it once I get the parts. Biggest issue I have is sourcing one that will deliver to Northern Ireland as most won't even answer my emails! 😕 if somebody has a part number I'll check around my local motor factors and see if they can get one. 

I did buy one at one time from ECP but again it needed adapting and it really isn't ideal.  I don't know why most available here are for the US/Japanese models but that's where a main dealer would be best.  Either way it's an easy job.

8 hours ago, Malc said:

last resort I guess could be the Lexus Main Dealer in Belfast ??

Malc

Guess who didn't answer my last email  😕 

There is one on eBay that matches the "correct" one in your post above Phil and I have family in England so if I have to I can get them to order it and then they can send it over (why some of these companies won't supply over here has always been an unanswered question) 

Another issue I still have is the drivers seat cushion - I am very tempted to get a Stanley knife,  cut it open and stuff a load of memory foam into it and stitch it up myself :huh: 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BMCWP said:

Guess who didn't answer my last email  😕 

There is one on eBay that matches the "correct" one in your post above Phil and I have family in England so if I have to I can get them to order it and then they can send it over (why some of these companies won't supply over here has always been an unanswered question) 

Another issue I still have is the drivers seat cushion - I am very tempted to get a Stanley knife,  cut it open and stuff a load of memory foam into it and stitch it up myself :huh: 

Have you got a radiator cap on yours?  It seems that they are being produced without them now but I'm sure they're compatible either way.  Sounds a bit drastic cutting the seat open but it may help to release the vandal in you!

Must take a look and see if there is a cap - as for the seat I have since found a couple of places here in NI that might be able to do something so I am going to contact them on Monday and see if they can give me a rough idea of price before I vandalise the seat 😆

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links