Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extended warranty and service plan - when to apply?

Herbie

On Monday I'll be taking my car for the final service of a two-year service plan that will have covered three services.

I know that having the car serviced at a Lexus Main Dealership is a condition of being able to have an Extended Warranty, so because I want the warranty I also intend to get another two-year service plan.

My question is, when is the best time to apply for these things?

The car will be having its 7-year/70k service next week, even though it's only done 50k, at which point my current service plan will expire. The next service won't be due until October 2021, so do I wait until then to buy a new service plan or do I sort it out next week while I'm there? Is there an optimum time or does it not matter?

Similarly, my current extended warranty only expires on 31st January 2021 so again, do I wait until, say, mid-January to set up renewal or is it possible to do it next week while I'm there but only have it become active on 1st February?

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Is there an optimum time or does it not matter?

By purchasing now you are locking in today's prices but expending money before you need to. Typically Lexus revise their warranty pricing at the start of the calendar year, but in theory could do it anytime - and prices could decrease, stay the same or increase, although a decrease is highly unlikely.

Given you aren't far away from a warranty renewal I'd probably do it before the end of Dec to get the 24 months for £995 price, but wait for the service plan until nearer the time or if your dealer makes you a good offer (worth asking them for a price and then stating you will hold off for now to see if they do try and persuade you). But this is really a personal decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

What did we tell you a short while ago Herbie, when you asked this question ?

In all honesty my friend, I'm surprised that you say I've asked it before - I truly have no recollection of that :surprise:

All this Covid stuff is really messing with my head.

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

In all honesty my friend, I'm surprised that you say I've asked it before - I truly have no recollection of that :surprise:

All this Covid stuff is really messing with my head.

This is the posting you have forgotten Herbie !!Posted September 9
  On 9/9/2020 at 5:24 PM, royoftherovers said:

Ask the Dealer if you can start a new plan when the current one expires.If he says yes, then off you jolly well go.

Not the sort of question I expected from you Professor!

Haha, what can I say John - not enough sleep and too much stuff going on 😄

You and Spacewagon52 reacted to this