Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres with Rim Protector Strip

2ddesign

Hi all, which tyre has the best side wall rim protection lip. do not want to scrape my alloys, Goodyear or Michelin or any other makes, 🤔 (for normal 245/40/R18's), any recommendations please!

Good question, I think most of the top brands offer rim protection on low profile tyres but I haven't seen a rating based on the level of protection. I doubt there's much difference between those that offer it. Doing a quick search didn't reveal anything very helpful.

I pick the brand I like (Continental, Michelin or Hankook for Winters) and then just check its rim protector and avoid kerbs as much as possible as the protection from scrapes and scratches is very limited. You can get add on rim protection like Alloygators and the stick on lips but again protection is only good for very low impact and they aren't the most attractive things.

Even comparing pictures up close it's hard to judge. Here are my recent Contis, I've definitely seen more obviously proud protection lips than these in the past but comparing them to the latest Michelin. Pirelli, Toyo, Uniroyal, and a few others I couldn't see much difference at all.

WP_20200819_17_37_28_Pro.thumb.jpg.03dfd4b14c8ead8d8a08438ebea48642.jpg

• Like 2

They offer little if any protection, hitting a kerb generally results in the removal of a chunk of rubber from the tyre at that point just before the alloy also contacts the kerb. By the time you feel that kerb the damage is done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

They offer little if any protection, hitting a kerb generally results in the removal of a chunk of rubber from the tyre at that point just before the alloy also contacts the kerb. By the time you feel that kerb the damage is done.

+1

Nice idea, but ... 

Hi

Thank you for your replies, it seems that there is little to offer at the moment, tyre wise to help prevent reversing scrapes...

I also have Continental  245/40/R18's Neil, on my SC430 and they are due to be replaced soon, so I might just have to carry on looking.

They unfortunately did not help with a very high kerb on one rear wheel😪...

The reviews, on plastic coloured rim protectors from customers are reasons why they should be avoided.

On another forum this was offered as a solution

Screenshot 2020-10-01 at 09.32.25.png

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Better not to hit the kerb, or better still, use a higher profile tyre !

Good advice John. Step ladder on order too.

image.thumb.png.2b7a700f14d98f257cb51a314a45886d.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1