Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery - !2v in boot

NDP

Dear all,

I had some issues today with my Lexus not starting or unlocking due to the Battery being discharged. I'm guessing it's the original now coming up to 3 years old. I had the car jump started by the AA and gave it a good run to top up the charge and it now seems ok but I now no longer trust it and don't want to get caught out somewhere.

What I wanted to ask is if I replace it myself, which looks quite straightforward, am I going to lose the radio codes etc. when I disconnect? I was planning to purchase a Halfords 096AGM. Any tips / advice gratefully received!

Thanks Neal

Maybe I've just been fortunate and I don't want to tempt fate but I haven't replaced a car Battery in my 29 years of owning cars. Batteries should be good for much longer than three years.

I would go for the Yuasa OEM Battery personally. Pretty sure they're around £95 from Lexus or Toyota.

Thanks for that - I must say I have been lucky myself in the past. I have only had the car a couple of months and wonder if it had been sitting for long periods not used. So I feel happier changing the Battery. I'll check out the OEM as you suggest - Halfords are around £140!

2 minutes ago, NDP said:

Thanks for that - I must say I have been lucky myself in the past. I have only had the car a couple of months and wonder if it had been sitting for long periods not used. So I feel happier changing the battery. I'll check out the OEM as you suggest - Halfords are around £140!

Ask your local Lexus Dealership as some members on here have had OEM replacements fitted for less than what Halfords are quoting.

I had my alternator fail on my old Jaguar XF. Completely discharged the Battery to the point where the car couldn't even change gear or light up the dash. And this was at night in the dark! My Ctek charger managed to smart charge the Battery and it never gave me a problem after the alternator was replaced.

1 hour ago, NDP said:

Dear all,

I had some issues today with my Lexus not starting or unlocking due to the battery being discharged. I'm guessing it's the original now coming up to 3 years old. I had the car jump started by the AA and gave it a good run to top up the charge and it now seems ok but I now no longer trust it and don't want to get caught out somewhere.

What I wanted to ask is if I replace it myself, which looks quite straightforward, am I going to lose the radio codes etc. when I disconnect? I was planning to purchase a Halfords 096AGM. Any tips / advice gratefully received!

Thanks Neal

Too soon to change the Battery in my view.

Drive the car daily if you can and let the engine charge the Battery for you. And buy a CTEK MX5 as Ricky implied above to charge the Battery regularly when unable to drive the car.

Thank you - Perhaps I am jumping the gun a bit! I must admit I did panic when I realised that I was unable to even unlock the doors!.

As you say I think the CTEK is a sensible purchase.

Many thanks

Neal

36 minutes ago, Inazone said:

Just to let you know, halfords will price match Tayna batteries online. I saved my mum £40 on a new yuasa silverline just by showing the guy at the checkout the price's online and how high halfords was in comparison.....

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Thank you that's useful to know!

Just popping in to throw in my 2p's worth. I had a MY17 CT Premium for just over 3 years and 12v Battery was never a problem . In the time I had the car it covered 12 500 miles, so not a lot of use. I did however recognise the need to give the car a run once a week to keep the Battery topped up. Even purchased a CTek but never needed it. Lexus  are aware of 12v Battery problems in the Covid 19 lock down time so worth visiting them for further advice. CT is a great car but wanted something a little bigger so changed it for a UX.

11 minutes ago, NDP said:

Thank you - Perhaps I am jumping the gun a bit! I must admit I did panic when I realised that I was unable to even unlock the doors!.

As you say I think the CTEK is a sensible purchase.

Many thanks

Neal

I`ve had a flat Battery twice and it has recovered quickly after using the car frequently.

In fact you have ne need to drive it, just sit in  and press switch until "ready" shows. If the Battery is running low, the engine will start  in oeder to put charge into the Battery !!

• Like 2

Hi Charlie,

I had last used the car last Saturday but only a short run and it had been standing about a week before that. So I think this is my problem.

Must say I do like the UX! - as you say the CT is nice but boot space is quite restricted.

thanks for your reply

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ve had a flat battery twice and it has recovered quickly after using the car frequently.

In fact you have ne need to drive it, just sit in  and press switch until "ready" shows. If the battery is running low, the engine will start  in oeder to put charge into the battery !!

Thanks John, I think I will give the present Battery a chance and see how it responds to more use

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Charlie Alder said:

Just popping in to throw in my 2p's worth. I had a MY17 CT Premium for just over 3 years and 12v battery was never a problem . In the time I had the car it covered 12 500 miles, so not a lot of use. I did however recognise the need to give the car a run once a week to keep the battery topped up. Even purchased a CTek but never needed it. Lexus  are aware of 12v battery problems in the Covid 19 lock down time so worth visiting them for further advice. CT is a great car but wanted something a little bigger so changed it for a UX.

I know it's off topic but how are you liking the UX?

Replaced mine a month ago. It lasted 8 years,not bad at all. I fitted a genuine Yuasa Battery I got from GSF car parts. It’s very easy and quick to fit. I lost no settings in the car. The Battery was disconnected for about 5 mins.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Thank you, That's answered my question on losing settings. I can see from all the helpful replies that the Battery life should be much longer  so I am going to give this Battery more chance and see what happens.  Thanks again

Hello Bout Time.

Re UX.

Had the car for a month now and took it up to Manchester a couple of weeks ago. Overall much better car, although appreciate CT is 10 years old. UX has a better ride and more power when you need it. Surprisingly boot is actually smaller on the UX due to greater slope of the boot door. Getting close to the 50% running in EV as claimed by Lexus. Car needs to be driven more like a Hybrid compared to CT to get best mpg.

Having started life with Lexus  in 2004 with an IS200 SE and then the CT  Premium I think the finishing of the UX could be better, too much hard plastic that is just waiting to be scratched. No matter as I knew that before purchase. Sat Nav is over complicated butgets me where I want to go.

Test drive is essential to fully be fully aware of cars pros and con.

Purchased  the UX through Lexus  Cambridge who were great throughout although they have still to get me a hard copy of the Sat Nav OM.

I will report further on the UX forum for those that are interested but happy to answer any questions on both cars.

• Thanks 1

"have still to get me a hard copy of the Sat Nav OM"  

Adrian take a look at my post today (Fri 2nd) in the UX250h forum. I attached links to download both Sat nav and Handbook manuals in PDF format for people who haven't got hard copies.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links