Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Laughed at my Lexus dealer today.

stormchaser

Took the CT in for its service and MOT(6th one) at my usual local dealer.

I requested the tracking to be done and a gearbox oil change (it’s on 107K).

They tried to play the “it’s sealed for life” bull and “you can’t change the oil on those and it’s not part of a service schedule “

I laughed at him and told him he can’t be serious. I showed him this photo of the gearbox displaying the oil drain and fill plug which is by the sump plug also.

b9b513c866afec882f89ac12f05805fd.jpg

He phoned the workshop to ask them for a quote of time etc. They replied it needed a special tool and oil (partly right) but to top it all said the gearbox needs to be removed and supported under the car so they can gain access.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing so told them to forget this and that I thought it was terrible that they didn’t even know what to do.

I’ve told him I’m going to book it in to my Toyota dealer to do as they said they do this regularly on the Prius.

Sorry to rant on but it’s ridiculous that a 30 min job,3.5ltrs of oil and a half inch drive and open access to it and they tell me this crap.

Just beware of your dealer if you decide to get this done on yours.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, stormchaser said:

They tried to play the “it’s sealed for life” bull and “you can’t change the oil on those and it’s not part of a service schedule “

I laughed at him and told him he can’t be serious. I showed him this photo of the gearbox displaying the oil drain and fill plug which is by the sump plug also.

He phoned the workshop to ask them for a quote of time etc. They replied it needed a special tool and oil (partly right) but to top it all said the gearbox needs to be removed and supported under the car so they can gain access.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing so told them to forget this and that I thought it was terrible that they didn’t even know what to do.

I’ve told him I’m going to book it in to my Toyota dealer to do as they said they do this regularly on the Prius.

Sorry to rant on but it’s ridiculous that a 30 min job,3.5ltrs of oil and a half inch drive and open access to it and they tell me this crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read your post and wondered if it was Lexus Poole (stab in the dark). I checked your profile and see you are in Dorset. So was it Lexus Poole by any chance?

Maybe this video helps - not sure about the tattoos though.

How to service sealed Toyota/Lexus box

Over the years I have many a strange 'Can't do that without pulling the car apart' views weather main dealers or indies.  

That's the beauty about the web, at least you can cross-reference what is plainly wrong with some mechanics ideas.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stormchaser said:

Send email to CE of Hendy Group (Lexus Poole Owners) and suggest they should incorporate the transmission oil change into the 100,000 mile service schedule of the Essential Service regime.

• Like 1

If it is Hendys I'd try another dealership. They told me door catches cannot be adjusted. They also took paint off my wheel arches when attempting to perform wheel alignment. Smart alloy repair flaked after 1 week. The list goes on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BoutTime said:

I read your post and wondered if it was Lexus Poole (stab in the dark). I checked your profile and see you are in Dorset. So was it Lexus Poole by any chance?

They now have Hendy Sports next to them since Jaguar moved out, share workshop facilities and are servicing numerous different makes and models. I wonder if they simply spoke to the wrong guy in there ?   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doog442 said:

They now have Hendy Sports next to them since Jaguar moved out, share workshop facilities and are servicing numerous different makes and models. I wonder if they simply spoke to the wrong guy in there ?   

I had an awful experience with them. Felt a little sorry for the salesman but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Although he hasn't confirmed it's them.

10 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

I had an awful experience with them. Felt a little sorry for the salesman but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Although he hasn't confirmed it's them.

They're my local dealer and messed up a simple oil change a few years back so avoid. Yet they're servicing some pretty unusual and high end stuff being a Lotus dealer next door, also Ferrari, Porsche etc. Perhaps they're biting off more than they can chew. 

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

First series of minuses I`ve read for Lexus Poole.

and there's me having bought my Mk3 in 2011 from Andy Cross of Lexus Poole  .....  where I think my car had Full Lexus Service History from 1995 till then .......  they must have gone downhill !:wink3:

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc said:

and there's me having bought my Mk3 in 2011 from Andy Cross of Lexus Poole  .....  where I think my car had Full Lexus Service History from 1995 till then .......  they must have gone downhill !:wink3:

Malc

Very sad Malc, but as we all know all good things come to an end.

• Like 2

Sorry gents for the late reply.
Just picked the car up and another straight pass on the MOT with no advisories.
Service was carried out and the tracking was done to Lexus factory settings after Christchurch Tyres(now Protyre/crap) really messed it up using there Hunter equipment.
Yes it’s correct I’m using Lexus Poole as I have done for the last 6 years. I’ve never until now had any problems with them (sadly now taken over by the Hendy group).
They phoned Lexus HQ today to seek advice ref the gearbox oil change. Lexus told them that it shouldn’t be done at all because of what they said previously blah blah blah. Also because I have an extended warranty on the CT that if anything happened to the gearbox and they changed the oil previously when told not to then I would be liable for repairs/cost. So I’m leaving this well alone on that advice.
Under there Westover rule they were fine but things have certainly changed with Hendy but as of yet apart from this I can’t really fault them.
Anyway a few pics of the loan CT they gave me.
1f4107e6813f5c4286901876f70dd5e3.jpg
6eac0d7b1aa0a27e2d78a8ced1771e2f.jpg
6dc62079b84aadfdea3244bdfdcbdf8f.jpg

• Like 2

Have heard that Lexus Hedge End (now the Snows group) are very good although a little too far from Bournemouth.

1 minute ago, stormchaser said:

Have heard that Lexus Hedge End (now the Snows group) are very good although a little too far from Bournemouth.

Not heard or read anything amiss with Hedge End.

They along with Lexus Exeter and Lexus Plymouth are part of Snows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormchaser said:

Thanks. I actually live a little north of Bournemouth. Right in the middle of Swindon and Bristol. I've been using Lexus Bristol and they've been great so far.

• Like 1

Just now, BoutTime said:

Thanks. I actually live a little north of Bournemouth. Also in the middle of Swindon Bristol. I've been using Lexus Bristol and they've been great so far.

That`s good to hear as they are part of the Motorline Group which has not received any accolades this side of the last appearance of Halley`s Comet !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

That`s good to hear as they are part of the Motorline Group which has not received any accolades this side of the last appearance of Halley`s Comet !

Oh great. One of the reasons for buying a Lexus was the dealers apparently being the best in the business. I guess I should have interpreted that as just not as sh*t as the others.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BoutTime said:

Oh great. One of the reasons for buying a Lexus was the dealers apparently being the best in the business. I guess I should have interpreted that as just not as sh*t as the others.

Read what I said Ricky.

I did not  say that they had received several bad reports, I said they had not received any good ones.

In general, Lexus Dealers are very good indeed.. They are not however all as good as the Lexus Organisation which underpins them.      

I can but recommend Lexus Hedge End (Southampton).
I have been going there for the past 9 years and have bought 3 cars from them. I also trust them to service my car 2 or 3 times per year (I do a lot of miles).

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think that part of the issue is that Lexus dealers have such a good reputation that I expected more from them.  Cheltenham not great when I bought my CT so never went back, but Bristol is my nearest anyway who I would describe as "OK" but not any better.  Nice coffee and people, but last service while I waited took twice as long as promised so car didn't get washed as I didn't want to wait any longer, time before they had some issue that also prevented them washing the car plus issue with my service plan where they stopped collecting payment so it didn't cover the cost (I'm still waiting 2 years later for the call back to tell me how it was going to be resolved) - not big issues, but took the edge off, whereas before when I used VW I had no issues and the cost was lower

Using my local indie garage now - they might not wash the car, but charge 50% less and are walking distance from home

13 hours ago, Mikey B said:

I think that part of the issue is that Lexus dealers have such a good reputation that I expected more from them.  Cheltenham not great when I bought my CT so never went back, but Bristol is my nearest anyway who I would describe as "OK" but not any better.  Nice coffee and people, but last service while I waited took twice as long as promised so car didn't get washed as I didn't want to wait any longer, time before they had some issue that also prevented them washing the car plus issue with my service plan where they stopped collecting payment so it didn't cover the cost (I'm still waiting 2 years later for the call back to tell me how it was going to be resolved) - not big issues, but took the edge off, whereas before when I used VW I had no issues and the cost was lower

Using my local indie garage now - they might not wash the car, but charge 50% less and are walking distance from home

Interesting Mikey. Motorline and Listers not winning any plaudits there then.

And that `s the first plaudit I have seen in years for any VW Dealership.

That proves as we all know ,that Customer Service is all about the people one deals with and their Management and its culture..

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 5:01 PM, stormchaser said:

Sorry gents for the late reply.
Just picked the car up and another straight pass on the MOT with no advisories.
Service was carried out and the tracking was done to Lexus factory settings after Christchurch Tyres(now Protyre/crap) really messed it up using there Hunter equipment.
Yes it’s correct I’m using Lexus Poole as I have done for the last 6 years. I’ve never until now had any problems with them (sadly now taken over by the Hendy group).
They phoned Lexus HQ today to seek advice ref the gearbox oil change. Lexus told them that it shouldn’t be done at all because of what they said previously blah blah blah. Also because I have an extended warranty on the CT that if anything happened to the gearbox and they changed the oil previously when told not to then I would be liable for repairs/cost. So I’m leaving this well alone on that advice.
Under there Westover rule they were fine but things have certainly changed with Hendy but as of yet apart from this I can’t really fault them.
Anyway a few pics of the loan CT they gave me.
1f4107e6813f5c4286901876f70dd5e3.jpg
6eac0d7b1aa0a27e2d78a8ced1771e2f.jpg
6dc62079b84aadfdea3244bdfdcbdf8f.jpg

Just as a matter of interest, did the grey CT, you were loaned, suffer more wind or from more external noise than your own car?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links