Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Replacement...

NemesisUK

So, on our trip to Cornwall recently I managed to acquire a very spectacular stone chip on the windscreen, right in my eyeline. I saw the stone arcing toward me and ducked involuntarily!

The result a typical deep chip with radiating cracks reminiscent to a bullet strike! I'm only glad the stone hit the screen and not the bonnet or roof, so much cheaper and easier to repair.

So, I'm not concerned over OEM or pattern screens or the recalibration of the ADAS camera, that'll all get sorted. My question is over the structural nature of screens in modern cars.

My appointment is with a mobile fitter, coming to my home. The car is parked on my gravel driveway. The driveway is flat but not even (if that makes sense?), so will the car's suspension compensate for any irregularities? Or might the new screen be bonded to a slightly twisted shell that may latter cause issues?

I'm leaning toward (perhaps hoping?) this being a non-issue but just wondered what others think...

Peter,

Had the windscreen replaced on my last RC 300h -F sport by Autoglass.

They would only replace the screen at their workshop due to the auto lights and setting up these functions, once the new screen was fitted.

I was a bit worried when i arrived at there workshop but the screen had the Lexus stamp on it and the fitter had worked with Autoglass for 20 years.

All went well no issues.

From past experience better to get a replacement windscreen than get a stone chip repaired on your bonnet. !!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lexie04 said:

From past experience better to get a replacement windscreen than get a stone chip repaired on your bonnet. !!

Most definitely!

It's raining here at the moment, so unless tech has a tent it's not happening today. My insurance company uses Nationwide windscreens and they don't appear to have a fitting centre anywhere close to me so will have to be ' on the driveway'. According to their website they were one of the first companies to provide ADAS calibration, so not sure how that works. When I questioned the lady about this when making the appointment she said they could also send me to my Lexus dealer for the recalibration, at no cost to me.

Interesting times ...