Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice on used IS300

Hi there,

I have found a used IS300 (2019 model) with 20.000 km. It is like new, but when I checked the service book, I saw that it had never been maintained, at least not in the official dealer, although Lexus recommends a first service at 7.500 km and a second at 15.000 km

Of course the car is still under official guarantee for two more years and it is sold by an official dealer, but I am afraid that the problems might come up after that period. Also, when I ran a diagnostic test with BlueDriver, I saw that the trouble codes were reset when the meter stand was at 17.000 km. The rest of the diagnostic tests did not show any problems and during the test drive I did not notice anything strange.

Should I think about it or look for something else?

Thanks everyone!

Hi David, 

A new IS300 (business line version) costs here around 50.000 euro and this used car is sold for 30.000 euro. Just to give you an idea, most cars of this model, age and usage sell between 30.000-35.000 euro here. Most probably it is a business leasing car, usually they lease them for one year and then exchange them, so they do not really care about maintenance.

I am thinking the same to be honest, as I am not in a hurry.  I would prefer a car with more kilometres and older but with good maintenance record rather than this one.

Thanks for your answer.

• Like 1

Hi Konnos and welcome to the LOC.

You mention there is nothing in the book regarding servicing but have you asked the dealer? The reason being is that books are rarely filled in and stamped these days because the service records tend to be electronic in format. Ask the dealer if they can provide a print out for those services, if they do all is good, if not walk away.

On 10/3/2020 at 7:55 PM, LexusGR said:

I saw that the trouble codes were reset when the meter stand was at 17.000 km

Maybe it was in an accident and the error codes have been reset after the pop-up hood was deployed. Does every metal panel still have its VIN sticker? Missing stickers suggest non-Lexus standard bodywork repairs. If the stickers are there, it's more likely that if it has been repaired any work has been done to Lexus standards.

On 10/5/2020 at 11:17 AM, steve2006 said:

Hi Konnos and welcome to the LOC.

You mention there is nothing in the book regarding servicing but have you asked the dealer? The reason being is that books are rarely filled in and stamped these days because the service records tend to be electronic in format. Ask the dealer if they can provide a print out for those services, if they do all is good, if not walk away.

Hi Steve,

Happy to be here!

Good point about the digital record, but when I asked the seller, he confirmed that the vehicle has not been maintained yet, but they would do the maintenance if I decided to by the car without additional cost.  So that did not cover me.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:37 PM, Thackeray said:

Maybe it was in an accident and the error codes have been reset after the pop-up hood was deployed. Does every metal panel still have its VIN sticker? Missing stickers suggest non-Lexus standard bodywork repairs. If the stickers are there, it's more likely that if it has been repaired any work has been done to Lexus standards.

To be frank, I did not check the VIN in every part, something to add in my checklist I guess... However, I did check the gaps between the body parts and the thickness of the paint on each part, but I did not find any issues. The trouble code could be something simple, such as the oil replacement that did not take place on time or something more serious. Without a record you can never know...

A 1 year old car for 60% of the cost new? I'd take it without even looking at it! 12,500 miles is almost half of some car service intervils, wouldn't bother me in the slightest, an oil change now and its good for another year. 

The code reset could have been something silly like a low Battery over lock down. It's nearly new and still has plenty of warranty. 

I'd take it all day! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links