Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaking wipers

I’m having issues with the front wipers on our RX450h in that they are squeaking even when it is raining heavily and I’m getting fed up. I have changed the wipers with both types of genuine items from Lexus ( there seems to be a cheaper set and an expensive set available from Lexus). I have tried a set of Bosch Aero wipers and also a set of Denso OEM wipers. All last a couple of weeks before the squeaking returns. 
I have cleaned, degreased and also polished  the windscreen over and over again and nothing seams to work. I have also checked that the wiper arms and they are tight, so I’m looking for some advice moving forward and I’ve never had this issue before, that any of the above didn’t resolve. 

• Sad 1

If the rubbers are good and held tightly they shouldn't squeak, maybe judder if used dry which I try to avoid.  You are not getting body polish on the screen are you? Try cleaning screen with a proper glass cleaner.  When I top up my screen wash, I clean the screen and also wipe the rubbers.  I bought the correct ones from Euro Car Parts last year and had no trouble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

If the rubbers are good and held tightly they shouldn't squeak, maybe judder if used dry which I try to avoid.  You are not getting body polish on the screen are you? Try cleaning screen with a proper glass cleaner.  When I top up my screen wash, I clean the screen and also wipe the rubbers.  I bought the correct ones from Euro Car Parts last year and had no trouble.

Thanks for your reply. 
No just glass polish. I haven’t used body polish on the cars for years. 

The first thing to try is a good cleaning of screen with some foam product, but if it does not solve the problem may be that inclination of wipers has changed,  try to change it removing them and then using a plier on the top of leverage so the the surface of wipers slightly changes angle of contact with glass(on its lenght).

Not sure of explanation, lol, easier to do than to explain.

• Like 1

One thing that would be interesting to know is if that has always been your experience with the car or did it start during your ownership?  Does it squeak immediately after the windscreen and rubbers have been cleaned or is is OK for some time before it starts to squeak?  Some areas are particularly affected by contaminants and residue from diesel fumes and dead bugs etc., which can cause minute deposits to stick to screen which are not easily dislodged by action of screenwash operating with wipers. The only time I have experienced squeaking when screen is clean and wet is  when rubbers have hardened with age.   Do make sure the rubbers are thoroughly clean as well as the screen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry14UK said:

One thing that would be interesting to know is if that has always been your experience with the car or did it start during your ownership?  Does it squeak immediately after the windscreen and rubbers have been cleaned or is is OK for some time before it starts to squeak?  Some areas are particularly affected by contaminants and residue from diesel fumes and dead bugs etc., which can cause minute deposits to stick to screen which are not easily dislodged by action of screenwash operating with wipers. The only time I have experienced squeaking when screen is clean and wet is  when rubbers have hardened with age.   Do make sure the rubbers are thoroughly clean as well as the screen.

No it’s only started to occur over the past year and we have had the car for nearly 6 years now.

The wipers are fine when you first start driving. Then after about 10 minutes they begin to squeak. If you stop and wipe the blades they are fine again for another 10 minutes or so. 

We have a lot of trees around our house so I’m wondering there is some kind of sap on the screen   

Do you have any recommendations for how to clean the screen and wipers properly, other than using the usual car window cleaner? 

44 minutes ago, F.A. said:

Do you have any recommendations for how to clean the screen and wipers properly, other than using the usual car window cleaner? 

Clean cloth covering the screen and pour white vinegar over it until saturated, leave for 20 mins, wipe and rinse off.

• Like 3

Sap can be a real problem.  You could try driving to an area where there are no trees, maybe a supermarket at a quiet time. Then clean screen and wiper rubbers.  I either use designated 'glass cleaner' or neat screenwash before I dilute it do replenish reservoir (You don't want to put too strong a mix into the car's screenwash bottle as this can lead to washer jets becoming blocked).  Then keep pouring clean water on the screen while wipers are operating and see whether rubbers still squeak.  You really need to ascertain what change has happened since when they used to be OK and now and why they should work for about  ten minutes only. If they work OK for as long as 10 minutes it seems to me that the angle of attack of the blades is OK as is the sprung tension that keeps the blades/rubbers held onto the glass.  It shouldn't really be necessary but you might try a product called 'Rain X' although I believe it is largely to help with the way water beads/flows off the screen.

• Like 1

Sincere apologies for hijacking this thread, but today I received something which is obliquely relevant. It tickled me..

"Europes only black snake is found in Germany. You can sometimes see it, but only when it rains. It's thought that the rain triggers a mating dance where the snake rears up and moves majestically in a back and forth motion - tracking the intensity of the rain. It is commonly known as the Vindscreen Viper. ":)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just seen Colin's suggestion which reminds me of how in my early days of motoring I used Vinegar on all glass as needed to avoid funding special preparations LOL.

Windscreens are blasted by whatever is in the air over time resulting in minute pits that it's almost impossible to see with the naked eye and it may be that these retain contaminants/debris even after normal cleaning.  

• Like 1

Whilst I'll admit that I've never used a vinegar soak on my windscreen, i do occasionally give it a good wash and scrub with a glass cleaner solution, rinse off, dry it, and then go over it a couple of times with a cloth soaked in Isopropyl alcohol  (NOT hand sanitiser - that's got all manner of gunk in it) - use either 95% pure Isopropyl, or surgical spirit (75<>80% pure Isopropyl) - I no lonfer suffer from squeeky wiper blades

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stringbender said:

Given all that you've tried are you absolutely sure that the noise is coming from the blades on the glass ?

Is it possible for there to be a squeak in the linkages somewhere ?

The thought also occurred to me but would not explain why after cleaning rubbers they didn't squeak for about ten minutes.  

I haven't checked on my Lexus but on some cars you are able to fold the wipers back away from the glass and set them in motion without hitting anything in that position.  If this is can be done on the RX it would likely show any unusual sound in the linkages without removing the arms which is another option. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Won`t your screenwash let you know if you have solved the problem FA ?

If only it was that simple.  It takes about 10 minutes of use before it starts to squeak. I would have run out of screen wash by then.